February 2015 walk/bike/jog 100+ mile challenge

Options

Replies

• DanyelCook
    DanyelCook Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I did 39 miles last week so only 61 more to go. I bought an UP band and don't stop waking at night until I reach at least 5 miles. (That's my total for the day).
  • DanyelCook
    DanyelCook Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    DanyelCook wrote: »
    I'm in. I did 39 miles last week so only 61 more to go. I bought an UP band and don't stop waking at night until I reach at least 5 miles. (That's my total for the day).

But I live in San Diego so there's no cold weather here to deal with. Sunny and 72 today. I wouldn't get much walking done if I lived someplace cold and/or snowy, so kudos to all of you that exercise despite the cold. :)
  • stephmw9
    stephmw9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late but would love to try this challenge!!
    So far this month i've done:

13.38 walking miles
    11.18 bike (commuting) miles

Total: 24.56

and a lot of exercise bike miles but not sure if I want to count those, not sure how accurate they are. I ride at least 30 mins a day since it's sitting in the living room.

I currently live in British Columbia so it's very rainy but i'm hoping to get my walking in anyways, prefer it very much to biking.

Good luck everyone!
  • stephmw9
    Options
    A question for the walkers :

I love to walk at least 8km (4.9miles) at a time but find that I have to take at least 2 days off between walks if I walk that far because the bottoms of my feet get so sore.

Any tips to relieve or prevent the soreness?

Thanks!!
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Steph & Danyel, welcome! Thrilled to have you join us. :) I'm with you, Danyel. The cold is quite uninviting to me as well. It's lovely and cool in the mornings, warming up to the upper 70's during the day down here. I'm all set and ready to welcome Spring.

Steph, it's never too late to join. Your ticker starts back at zero on the 1st of the month. And if you don't reach 100 by month's end, it's our leader, Jeannie's motto that there are no losers. At least you were MOVING! Right, Jeannie? :)

So the bottoms of your feet get sore... Hmmm, is it from being on them so long or does it go a bit deeper and hurt in your arch or heel? I only ask because I suffer from plantar fasciitis and it truly is the pits. :( But good shoes, good inserts and the right foot exercises are key. However, you may just need a good pair of shoes... Sadly, a really great pair of shoes will probably cost you a bit. I finally found my perfect fit with Ascics. There is a website that you plug your personal info into and it will recommend a shoe for you. www.runnersworld.com. You may glean some info there as well. Is there a Wal-Mart near you? Down here, at our Wal-Marts, there is a machine around the pharmacy area that you stand on with no shoes on and it asks you certain questions then it measures and 'reads' your feet. Ultimately it recommends an insert that is normally hanging right there on the machine. It's Dr Scholl's and these particular inserts are the best I found. They are a bit high at $50 but I was willing to pay twice that just to be able to walk distances again. Maybe this info will help, maybe not, but don't give up and don't think that you just might have to work through the pain. That's usually not the best advice.

eta: Gruff is a runner and he may have some guidance for you as well. He's the sweetheart of our group. <3

Ok so here are my numbers...

4.7 miles

41.42 total miles
  • stephmw9
    Options
    jesiann2014:

It's not so much my foot, just the skin. As if my foot has been moving around a little with every step and rubbing on my sock or shoe. Today is a big walk because the sun is finally going to be out, will try my newer "indoor" shoes because I haven't worn them down yet.

Thank you for the great advice though!!

• kegofstout
    kegofstout Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Everyone's numbers are so impressive, I can't wait until I am in better shape and can put on the miles. So I am only logging miles I jog and this morning I did 3.5 miles which brings me to a total of 11.5
  • jeanniewes
    jeanniewes Posts: 3,642 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU 'Undecided" we strive too lift one another up and encourage too keep on keeping on.... :)

Weather is calling for the rest of the week too be bad and very cold...GRRRRRRR....

TODAY I got in 3.0 walking Miles...........
    ........................6.6 Exercise Bike miles.... I may try another session later on Bike...

TOTAL THUS FAR...........22.75walking miles.....
    .....................................65.9 Exercise Bike miles....
  • stephmw9
    Options
    Today I did 7 miles walking, feet are sore but not as much as usual.

This brings my total to :
    20.38 walking miles
    11.18 bike (commuting) miles
  • sweetkimrn
    sweetkimrn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Since I'm late I'm in for next month!
  • gruffdris
    gruffdris Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Steph if its the skin thats sore from friction try to get some twin skin running socks. Not sure whats available over in the US but i have a few pairs here from ron hill. The inner sock is reasonably tight with a second layer over it, this way the fabric rubs against each other.

Just commutes here and couple of swims will work out totals on the weekend :( sucks not being able to power down on the bike
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread. I use a fitbit to track my steps/distance. My goal for this month is 100 miles. This is what I have so far.
    2/1 - 2/7 = 23.23 miles
    2/8 - 2/11 = 15.18 miles
    A total of 38.41 miles for the beginning of the month.
  • jesiann2014
    Options
    Good morning, milers! Welcome new guys. :)
    Tas, all of my miles are fitbit miles as well. And sweetkim, it's never too late to join. We're happy to have you. Kegofstout, you can do this! Looking good, guys, looking good!

Gruff, this too shall pass... :|

5.37 miles
    46.79 total miles
  • stephmw9
    Options
    gruffdris:
    Thank you for the tip! I live in Canada so I'll just check online for twin running socks.
    They're not as sore as usual today, maybe I just need to toughen them up.

Happy walking/running/biking everyone!
  • kegofstout
    kegofstout Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday Everyone! This morning I got in a 3 1/2 mile run which brings me to a total of 15 miles. My 5th run of the month and it is getting easier already. Thanks for the words of encouragement jesiann2014! Happy Miles All!!!
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I walked 8.5 miles, so that's a total of 50.7 miles. Everyone's doing great. I can't believe we're almost halfway through February.
  • gruffdris
    gruffdris Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Some of it will just be a case of toughing it out while joints, muscles and ligiments adapt but some of it is down to kit choice. Be it pants that chafe, the arch of a foot or saddle choice your best getting the right one for you.

Few extra miles on the commute today as knee is feling alittle better. Lots of PR's for parts of it :) so looks like i havent lost too much this week. See how sundays ride goes.

Well done to everyone so far nearly half way and the days are slowly getting longer at last
  • mommarobb
    mommarobb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I would love to join in. I have lost motivation to work out and I find having a goal to meet helps motivate me. I haven't worked out in over 2 weeks, and also haven't logged my food. I really need to get back on track. I live in Ontario, Canada so I don't walk outside in the winter ( I hate the cold ) I do have a really good treadmill at my house and a gym membership also. Tonight is parent particapation at my son's karate so wish me luck as I will be doing an hour long karate class...... not even sure what I think of this lol.
    I am setting my goal for this month as 50 miles as I am joining in the middle of the month.I would like to add a ticker but am not sure where to get them or how to add it to my posts. If anyone could help me with that it would be greatly appreciated. Also if you would like to add me as a friend that would be great. :)
  • jeanniewes
    jeanniewes Posts: 3,642 Member
    Options
    WELCOME mommarobb! We all have those moments where we don't want too get up and get moving...I think once we stop it is more difficult too get back on track. A lot of GREAT SUPPORT here so just jump on in.... :)

So bitterly cold...went out several times but walking was just too difficult...0.5 mile ...

Outside walking mile 0.5....
    .................................11.0 Exercise bike miles...

TOTAL THUS FAR...........23.25 walking miles.....
    .....................................76.9 Exercise Bike miles....
  • jesiann2014
    Options
    Can we all just pause a moment and break out in spontaneous joy over this day being FRIDAY!! Oh yeah, happy dance material indeed!! :D

So Spring was really just teasing us down here in the Bayou State. Yesterday was quite chilly and today promises to be even a bit cooler. But the sunshine is glorious and the treadmill makes it hard to make excuses... lol

Welcome indeed, mommarobb! Jeannie is right. Just jump right onto this train and do your best.

3.12 miles

49.91 total miles (aaaaallllmost halfway to my goal!)