Transitioning from treadmill to outdoors!

Options
shelbikinz
shelbikinz Posts: 38 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello everyone! I want to start by saying that Yes I'm a weird one and I LOVE my treadmill!! I've run many many "5k"s on my treadmill. That being said, I cannot run outdoors for anything... Maybe a mile at the most... I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

There is a 5k near my hometown on April 25th, and I really want to be able to compete and finish the whole run. I'm not concerned with winning, I just want to start and finish running.

Do you guys have any tips for transitioning from indoor running to outdoor running?

Thanks!

-Shelby

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just start running outside....
  • shelbikinz
    Options
    Just start running outside....

Thanks for the tip. It's different running outside than on the treadmill. I'm not sure what I need to change.

I was hoping maybe someone could give me some tips on what about their techniques they've have to alter to adapt.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Increase the grade on your treadmill to about 2%. When you run on a treadmill - you just have to lift your legs and the ground moves for you. When you are outside - you must push your body with your muscles. Some people say that using a grade helps recreate that muscle involvement. On the other hand the previous post - "just start doing it" will work very well also. If that is what you want to do and you normally run a 5k on your treadmill, and you are tiring out at 1 mile, start a little slower than you feel you need to - try to go a mile and then take a 30-45 second walk break and then repeat until you can phase out the walk breaks.
  • LR856N1
    LR856N1 Posts: 26
    Options
    I completely agree with the person above me. if you need motivation i started a new page today and anyone can join http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/102998-motivation-station
  • shelbikinz
    Options
    Increase the grade on your treadmill to about 2%. When you run on a treadmill - you just have to lift your legs and the ground moves for you. When you are outside - you must push your body with your muscles. Some people say that using a grade helps recreate that muscle involvement. On the other hand the previous post - "just start doing it" will work very well also. If that is what you want to do and you normally run a 5k on your treadmill, and you are tiring out at 1 mile, start a little slower than you feel you need to - try to go a mile and then take a 30-45 second walk break and then repeat until you can phase out the walk breaks.

Thank you. Maybe I do need to start slower.

What do you mean by the grade? I'm sorry. I have an ancient treadmill.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    shelbikinz wrote: »
    Do you guys have any tips for transitioning from indoor running to outdoor running?

As upthread, go outside.

If you can't maintain the pace outside then slow down until you can sustain it.

The incline on a dreadmill really doesn't make any difference to training effect unless one is already a reasonably high performance runner, in the 4 min/ km range.

• wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The grade would be the incline - adjusting your treadmill so you are running slightly uphill.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'd recommed checking your running shoes for comfort, and if they are suitable for running outdoors. The treadmill has a bit of bounce, which roads, tracks, or trails don't have. Also, harder surfaces require a well cushioned shoe. Might take some miles to break those in, if you have to buy new ones for outdoors. Have fun!
  • briannarios60
    briannarios60 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the couch to 5k program? I am currently doing this and its really helping me run longer!
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    When I first made the shift the biggest thing I noticed was how much more sore my shins and the bottoms of my feet were from running outside (pavement gives less than a treadmill) and how much slower I went without all the data points of time and heart rate. I had to pace myself by feel.

Start out shorter and slower. But as trite as it seems, there's nothing like doing it to get used to it.

One more point, I always zoned out with headphones on a treadmill. You need more awareness to run outside.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong. I had the same problem when I quit the gym and started running in the park. It is much harder to run outside...the treadmill does some of the work for you as someone mentioned above. Plus when you are outside you need to focus of uneven footing, avoiding obstacles, etc. And, at least for me, pacing is difficult. Once I used runkeeper, I realized that while I THINK I am running at a steady pace, in reality I keep speeding up and slowing down.

Stay with it...it will quickly get easier. Run slower than you think you need to...that will help a lot. You can gradually add speed later if you like. Track your progress...there are a ton of apps...runkeeper is the one I use...that will record how far you went and how fast and give you tons of data.