A life without soda, salt, alcohol, juice, red meats, etc.

Options
LaurenFOB2301
LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone! My name is Lauren. I live in Chicago.

Someone please help me. I need some advice. What else can I do to lose weight?

I'm 25. I read all these books and websites about dieting tips. Some of the first things I hear are: Cut back on all simple carbs, soda, sugar, juice, salt, alcohol, red meats, fatty and sweet foods, etc. Fill up on veggies, water, fruits, and proteins.

But here's the thing.

1. I don't drink soda or juice (with or without added sugar) From a young age, my mom taught me about hydration -- and that water was the way to achieve that. For as long as I remember, I grabbed for a fresh, cool glass of water after playing outside while my friends were grabbing for a pop from the fridge.

Here's what I don't drink: Juice, soda, diet soda, flavored water, energy drinks, alcohol, wine, beer, milk.

Here's what I drink: Water and coffee. I'm a journalist. So I need my coffee. Or, at least I think I do. On average, I drink about 2-3 half liters of water each day and 2-3 shots espresso each day during the workweek. I add a little bit of half-and-half and sugar. I've tried drinking it straight, but it's not the most enjoyable.

And, no, I don't drink frappacchinos, mochas, lattes, etc. Just espresso with about three tablespoons of half-and-half and one package of sugar.

About once a month or every two months, I'll get a juicer from Mariano's.

2. I *never* add salt to my foods, nor do I eat salty foods (other than salmon, tilapia, and tuna). I'm also aware of the sodium content in frozen foods. Neither me or my husband eat frozen food (no chicken nuggets, family dinners, pizza, vegetables, fruits, etc. if they are in frozen packages)

3. Yes, I do eat things with sugar in them, but it's so infrequent. Again, it's not like I snack on Reeses every day. It's on rare occasion that I even eat a cookie or some piece of candy. I probably have chocolate or some form of sweet treat once a week, and that's only if I'm really, really craving it in line at the grocery store. It's not on my grocery list. Neither is cereal, cookies, cakes, pies, etc.

4. I do not drink alcohol. End of story. I did back in college, but I simply don't care for it anymore. I'm healthier without it. It also puts on the pounds!

5. No energy drinks. Also something I did back in college. I swore off energy drinks about three years ago (three months before my husband andI got married) and haven't touched another since.

6. Hell, I don't even drink milk, people, because of the unnecessary calories. Half-and-half in my coffee and greek yogurt is the extent of my dairy.

7. On occasion, I eat a burger or steak. In a year, I'd say I have about 10 burgers and 2-3 steaks. I avoid red meats and mainly eat salmon, boneless/skinless chicken, and other lean fish.

8. Another thing. I hardly ever, ever, ever eat pasta. Maybe once a month, too, because I know how many friggin' calories are in pasta.

Here's a generality of what I eat these days: spring mix, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, veggies, granola and greek yogurt, grain bagels, soup, coffee, super salads, quinoa, walnuts, avocados, hummus, pita bread, beet sandwiches. I'm addicted to the Mediterranean sandwich from Potbelly's. Look it up. It's incredible.

So. Help me, please. I've struggled with weight for several years. So has my entire family.

From 2004-2007 (high school), I weighed 125-130.

I started college in 2008 and graduated in May 2012. Near the end of my four-year degree, I weighed about 178. That's the heaviest I've ever been. At the time, I was drinking alcohol, energy drinks, eating frozen foods, drinking mochas, lattes, etc., and ate sweets.

Basically the opposite of what I put in my body today.

In the summer of 2012 before my wedding, I basically purged myself from all junk food I ate in college and dropped from 168 to 150.

For most of 2013, I weighed somewhere around 155-160, despite the stresses of obtaining a master's degree and sleeping few hours.

In 2014, I weighed about 155. Halfway through the year, I started gaining despite bike riding, being more active than ever, and eating healthy. I now weigh 175, inching closer and closer to my heaviest weight ever. I turned 25 in August. Is this my metabolism slowing down? Or is that truly just an excuse?

One last important thing to note. I have a gym membership. I go, on average, 1-5 times a week. Yes, it varies that much. I guess I could go more, but it's hard to find the time. Some days, I'm super motivated. Other days, I can't muster the energy. When I'm there, I shoot hoops at the gym (I played on my basketball team in high school), run on the elliptical, and do some strength training.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    You're just eating too much then. Count your intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options
    I average about 1,200-1,600 calories a day. Is that too much? I'm wondering if it's because I have a desk job...It's probably not helping the cause, anyway.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You think frozen vegetables have added sodium? Canned, certainly, but not frozen unless it's mixed with other things like noodles or cheese. How tall are you? And why do you feel depriving yourself of the little joys helped you? You say you are struggling even after all these things. Maybe you are gaining muscle, maybe you aren't measuring and weighing your food properly. Maybe 150lbs isn't super overweight. You never said how tall you are. Is your food diary open?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't believe everything you read.

How many calories do you consume per day (average?)
    Do you weigh and record everything you eat?
    Do you use the correct entries (ie checked against package or USDA website)?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food everyday?
    Do you weigh your food?

If no, this would be the place to start. Log everyday, as accurately as possible.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options
    Sorry, I'm 5 feet, 2 inches.

And you're right about frozen veggies. I really didn't mean to group that in with all the rest of the frozen foods. My point was that I never shop in the frozen foods section.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You are setting up way too many unnecessary rules to follow! Tell MFP you want to lose 1 lb per week, get a calorie goal, and log accurately. Weigh your food as much as possible. You can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits your calorie goal. Exercise is great, but weight loss is all about what you eat. Read the stickies at the top of the Getting Started forum, especially Sexypants. Take a deep breath, and don't make this more complicated than it needs to be - you can do this.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You are eating too many calories - more than your body requires. It doesn't matter if you're avoiding salt/sugar etc. weight loss is a matter of calories in vs calories out. Start counting and give it about a month and see how you go.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's not about what you eat, it's about how much you eat. Do you weigh and log all your food? If not, you're eating more than you think. I have soda (diet), sugar (a treat every night), pasta (though I try to stick to whole wheat), and red meat on occasion and I'm losing from being in a calorie deficit.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options
    I'd say I'm not the best about logging my food every day. I try, but forget sometimes. I've gotten better about it in the last month or so.

And no, I honestly never thought about weighing my food. I just usually do portion control (i.e. 4 oz. chicken, 1 cup cherry tomatoes, 2 tbsp. of salad dressing, etc.)
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just really wanted to spell out my situation and see what people thought...Sounds like I'm eating too much of healthy foods?

I've always been told never to go below a certain amount of calories a day, at a minimum 1,200?
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    How big do you think 4oz of chicken is? My estimations were WAY off when I started this weightloss journey. But I have lost almost 50lbs since July last year even when I had fast food or a buffet.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You are setting up way too many unnecessary rules to follow! Tell MFP you want to lose 1 lb per week, get a calorie goal, and log accurately. Weigh your food as much as possible. You can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits your calorie goal. Exercise is great, but weight loss is all about what you eat. Read the stickies at the top of the Getting Started forum, especially Sexypants. Take a deep breath, and don't make this more complicated than it needs to be - you can do this.

:) Thank you.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options
    I definitely know what a 4 oz. piece of chicken looks like lol :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I average about 1,200-1,600 calories a day. Is that too much? I'm wondering if it's because I have a desk job...It's probably not helping the cause, anyway.

That is too inaccurate. How did you get those numbers? Is it an estimate? Exercise will aid in weightloss, but is not necessary.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You don't have to cut any of that out. It's not what you eat...it's how much.

Edit: I see someone made this (almost) exact comment above, lol. I didn't copy I promise...tis true though.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    OK, so you are already eating very, very carefully. It's fine to sometimes eat meat, drink alcohol, have a few sweets and refined carbs etc., as long as you don't exceed your calorie needs for the day. It sounds like you may be a bit too worried about what you eat-- I think just tracking calories as accurately as you can will help you. Those tips you've read are basically ways to cut out calories without counting them, and don't sound sustainable over the long term at all to me.

How tall are you? How much do you generally exercise? 1200-1600 calories a day isn't that much unless you're 5'2" or below (I'm 5'1" and eat 1200 calories a day only when attempting faster weight loss; usually I try for losing 1/2 lb a week and eat around 1350 cals net). It's truly not necessary to deprive yourself if you are consuming the proper amount of calories. If you haven't done this already, set up your profile with the recommended settings that MFP gives you; they work well. When logging food, try to use only entries without an asterisk in front of them since the ones with an asterisk have been added by other users of the site and are quite frequently inaccurate.

This post is extremely helpful to read and, in my opinion (which is corroborated by multiple people I've seen recommending this as well) is THE guide to using this site successfully: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

MFP's exercise calorie burn estimates are high for some people; try eating back only 1/2 of what it says you burn for a few weeks and see what happens.

It is OK to eat some salt (necessary for health when you sweat or during summer when you are drinking a lot of water). It sounds like you know that too much will cause water retention, but some added salt is OK to eat; don't worry about that.

Good luck!
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options

That is too inaccurate. How did you get those numbers? Is it an estimate? Exercise will aid in weightloss, but is not necessary.

How is that too inaccurate? I'm just saying...some days, I eat 1,200. Other days, I eat 1,600. Some days, I go below 1,200. So, in essence, that's as accurate as I can get. I wouldn't say it's INaccurate.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    OK, it sounds like you have a good, common-sense diet.

Why not commit to tracking consistently? Have you tried different macro mixes, for example reducing your carb intake to see if that makes a difference?

Exercising 1-5 times a week is a pretty wide range. You could certainly try establishing a more regular exercise habit.

Have you checked in with a doctor about your weight gain?
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options
    Linnaea27 wrote: »
    OK, so you are already eating very, very carefully. It's fine to sometimes eat meat, drink alcohol, have a few sweets and refined carbs etc., as long as you don't exceed your calorie needs for the day. It sounds like you may be a bit too worried about what you eat-- I think just tracking calories as accurately as you can will help you. Those tips you've read are basically ways to cut out calories without counting them, and don't sound sustainable over the long term at all to me.

How tall are you? How much do you generally exercise? 1200-1600 calories a day isn't that much unless you're 5'2" or below (I'm 5'1" and eat 1200 calories a day only when attempting faster weight loss; usually I try for losing 1/2 lb a week and eat around 1350 cals net). It's truly not necessary to deprive yourself if you are consuming the proper amount of calories. If you haven't done this already, set up your profile with the recommended settings that MFP gives you; they work well. When logging food, try to use only entries without an asterisk in front of them since the ones with an asterisk have been added by other users of the site and are quite frequently inaccurate.

This post is extremely helpful to read and, in my opinion (which is corroborated by multiple people I've seen recommending this as well) is THE guide to using this site successfully: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

MFP's exercise calorie burn estimates are high for some people; try eating back only 1/2 of what it says you burn for a few weeks and see what happens.

It is OK to eat some salt (necessary for health when you sweat or during summer when you are drinking a lot of water). It sounds like you know that too much will cause water retention, but some added salt is OK to eat; don't worry about that.

Good luck!

Thank you! I honestly appreciate the constructive criticism. I thought I was just a lost cause, but you're right, maybe it's just a matter of overeating on food -- even if it's all healthy. I do eat very carefully, and I think that's what has been so discouraging...Maybe I need to keep track more.

I also think I get discouraged WAY too easily if I don't lose more than pound each week. If I'm stagnant, I get upset. If I gain, might as well forget abut my confidence for the day.