Desperately need help gaining weight!!

Options
Hi guys!
I'm new to this app but definitely not new to the struggle of gaining weight. I'm naturally skinny and I desperately want to gain like 2 pounds a week. Fat or muscle, I don't care! Pleaseee any tips you have would help :(

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'd start by logging your calories as if you were trying to lose weight (not restricting of course). That way you can determine what your protein levels and average calories consumed are. That way you can adjust your levels accordingly without stuffing yourself and getting sick.

Oh, also I know there are calculators online that you can use to gain weight. Try this one:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/calories-to-gain-weight
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do you have your goal settings to gain weight? How many calories does it give you? Try to get in some nutrient dense foods:
    Full fat dairy
    meat (dark meat and marbled)
    nuts, nut butters, seeds, trail mix, granola
    dried fruit and fruit juice, coconut
    avocados
    oily/fatty fish (mackerel, salmon with skin)
    olive and coconut oil
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    I'm new to this app but definitely not new to the struggle of gaining weight. I'm naturally skinny and I desperately want to gain like 2 pounds a week. Fat or muscle, I don't care! Pleaseee any tips you have would help :(

Trying to gain 2lb a week isn't reasonable... Aiming for 0.5lb per week and some of if being muscle is a much better way to go.
  • brittnineufville
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips guys! I have to eat 2000 calories a day to gain 1 pound a week. I was also wondering if any of you exercise to help gain weight?? I always worry that if I exercise I'm going to end up losing weight instead of gaining muscle.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips guys! I have to eat 2000 calories a day to gain 1 pound a week. I was also wondering if any of you exercise to help gain weight?? I always worry that if I exercise I'm going to end up losing weight instead of gaining muscle.

If you are looking to gain muscle along with the fat, you'll want to do a progressive lifting program. If you do cardio, it will only make you need to eat more to gain. Since you're having problems gaining, you should not do cardio (or at least severely limit it if you really enjoy it). I'd suggest lifting heavy with a beginner lifting program (new rules of lifting for women, starting strength, strong lifts).

If you don't have access to the gym there are several bodyweight programs that have a systematic progression built in such as you are your own gym and convict conditioning.