Exercises for bad knees

Options
Hi everyone. So for the past 2 weeks, I have been resting my knees because I got a stress injury to my left knee. My doctor told me to take it easy and gradually increase the intensity of my exercises. I guess that I went too hard at the gym once the holidays passed.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what exercises I can start off doing?

Replies

• naveenlb
    naveenlb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. So for the past 2 weeks, I have been resting my knees because I got a stress injury to my left knee. My doctor told me to take it easy and gradually increase the intensity of my exercises. I guess that I went too hard at the gym once the holidays passed.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what exercises I can start off doing?

Hello,
    I don't have any knee problem. But my father do.
    Exercises that my father is doing is mainly for upper body, like 3 times a week. He is having much fat to lose and I am helping him to acieve his dream body.

Please let us know your goal, why you want to exercise, so that we can answer appropriately.

Thank you.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Is a pool available to you at your gym? That's such a great workout for joints.. either taking a class, swimming or running in the pool. You won't have the pressure on your knees like you would on land.

Definitely worth a check if you have something available. :)
  • meyerssheila
    meyerssheila Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Is there a row machine in your gym. This gives you a good workout and very light on your knees. Trying interval challenges to increase the heart rate on the row machine!
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Deep water running (with a weighted belt). I've had to stop running for a while as my knees are sore and stiff from overuse. I am totally amazed at the workout you can get with deep water sprinting. You can get your heart rate right up there!! I've been doing 15 sec sprint intervals :)
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Also boxing (but not doing any of the running part of it) just standing stationery and using your arms
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I know you don't want to actively work your knees full-on, but perhaps a little gentle squatting might have a rehabilitative effect. Obviously you would stop at the point in the movement where you felt pain, and perhaps stand with your back against a wall (wall squat) when you squat, or perhaps hold a chair with your hands as you squat down to control the motion as much as possible.

I don't have a knee injury per se, but do have a troublesome left knee, and progressive and sensible squatting has been the medicine I and most with knee issues I know have found recommended and effective :smile:
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees from long ago when I shattered my knee cap in Junior High. I do a lot of walking, stair climbing, and swimming as they are all easy on my knees. Every time I try to jog I regret it after a few days. Start off slow and gradually work your way up from there or you'll risk re-injuring yourself and having to take even more time off. Good luck!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    I'd also add skating (ice, inline or quads) to the list of cardio exercises that are easy on the knees. I have bad knees too, and find the elliptical okay too for the most part. Not as gentle as some of the other activities already suggested in previous posts.

My physiotherapists have always recommended quad extensions for stabilizing the knee area.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm a swimmer, but there are plenty of landlubbers who get a great no-impact workout from deep water aquarunning using a flotation belt.