Any good ideas for plain old Chicken?!?!

Options

Replies

• Rhaeven
    Rhaeven Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I eat A LOT of chicken and am always messing with how its cooked. I tend to make large batches at a time so that I have easy grab and run food in the kitchen. My latest favorite is to take the chicken breasts, sprinkle liberally with Lemon Pepper seasoning and the McCormick Roasting rub..in French Herb (or any other yummy seasonings), and then juice one (or more) lemon over the top, I cover with foil to help retain moisture in the chicken, bake on 350-400 til done. They were super savory, lots of flavor and could mix into just about anything, or to eat alone. :) I tried limes last night, and it didn't come out nearly as well, so I wouldn't recommend that. :)

Another of my more favorite things to do is make super healthy chicken meat balls with ground chicken breast. My usual recipe includes a couple pounds of grd. chicken breast, an egg white or two depending on how much chicken I've made, and then I load it up with whatever seasonings sound/smell good at the time, Italian seasoning works well, onions, veggies..whatever sounds good. I really want to get sundried tomatoes and some basil for my next batch and see how that goes. :) I have a tiny ice cream scoop that I use to make sure all my meatballs are about the same size...bake and enjoy. They can be eaten alone or used in recipes. :) I also will do this with turkey, sometimes I add a small bit of grd. pork to help keep up moisture so they don't dry out too much.

Hope you enjoy
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Crockpot BBQ Chicken Thighs

Simple Cheap Quick Yum-O! :drinker:

Here's what I did the other day when chicken thighs were on sale, they also happened to be 'Smart Chicken' brand, even better still! They had skin on them, it was easy enough to remove it all before tossing them in the crockpot, tossed in about 8 as that was how many was in the pkg. I poured over maybe 1/2 cup or so of BBQ sauce, put the lid on cooked on high for about 3-3.5 hours, (you could also cook it on low for about 6 hours) and they turned out Delicious! The meat simply feel right off the bones it was so tender.

Don't need much BBQ sauce as the crockpot adds so much moisture itself.

Enjoy!
    Becca

**Also I make baked chicken and shred it and add it to cooked brown rice with a side of green veggies. Looks pretty and healthy too :)

crockpots are terrific in the Summer saves heating the house with the oven!!:ohwell: :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    2 skinless chicken breasts.
    1 Clove of garlic
    10ml sesame oil

Crush the garlic mix in the oil.

Spread over the chicken evenly

Wrap in tin foil. Cook in the oven for 30min at 200 degrees.

Enjoy. Simple but oh so good.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    #1 Cover the bottom of a 9x13 (or 9x9?) glass dish (or any dish for that matter!) with olive oil. Lay out your boneless skinless chicken breast. Cover with 1 can of cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup (you can experiment, with my family, they both taste great but it depends on what we're in the mood for!) and then top each breast with 1 slice (or 1/2 depending on size) of swiss cheese. Bake at 350 for one hour. Serve with rice, veggies, whatever!!

#2 Cover boneless skinless chicken breast with spaghetti sauce (if you're opposed to that, just combine tomato paste, water, LOTS of Italian Seasoning, salt & pepper and use that - I like it better than store bought spaghetti sauce which I end up seasoning anyway!) Top with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake for 30-45 minutes at 350.

#3 Pan fry/sautee chopped up boneless skinless chicken breast in a pan with olive oil and steak seasoning. At the same time, prepare a box of Rice-a-Roni's whole wheat (or whole grain?) chicken rice. When done, combine the two in a glass dish, along with 1/2 bag of frozen corn and 1/2 cup of low-sodium mozzarella cheese. Stir until casserole-like and bake for 20 minutes at 350 or until cheese melts.

My top favorites right now. :bigsmile:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    bump
  • muriella
    muriella Posts: 2
    Options
    We often chop up the chicken, add small amount of potatoes, and then what ever vegetable we like, carrots, peas, onions etc. even use a frozen mix, then add a light Italian salad dressing and bake until done. Sometimes we leave out the potatoes and serve it over brown rice.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    bump
  • bballgrrl34
    bballgrrl34 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    #1 Cover the bottom of a 9x13 (or 9x9?) glass dish (or any dish for that matter!) with olive oil. Lay out your boneless skinless chicken breast. Cover with 1 can of cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup (you can experiment, with my family, they both taste great but it depends on what we're in the mood for!) and then top each breast with 1 slice (or 1/2 depending on size) of swiss cheese. Bake at 350 for one hour. Serve with rice, veggies, whatever!!

#2 Cover boneless skinless chicken breast with spaghetti sauce (if you're opposed to that, just combine tomato paste, water, LOTS of Italian Seasoning, salt & pepper and use that - I like it better than store bought spaghetti sauce which I end up seasoning anyway!) Top with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake for 30-45 minutes at 350.

#3 Pan fry/sautee chopped up boneless skinless chicken breast in a pan with olive oil and steak seasoning. At the same time, prepare a box of Rice-a-Roni's whole wheat (or whole grain?) chicken rice. When done, combine the two in a glass dish, along with 1/2 bag of frozen corn and 1/2 cup of low-sodium mozzarella cheese. Stir until casserole-like and bake for 20 minutes at 350 or until cheese melts.

My top favorites right now. :bigsmile:

:noway:
    Can you come to my house for dinner? I'll let you cook. =D
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Stirfry!
    Cut up the chicken in to small chunks. Throw in some veggies after the chicken is almost done. Add some low sodium soy sauce.
    Sometimes I just stirfry the chicken and add garlic pepper and other spices and eat it like that. Just a big ol' bowl of protien.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Take boneless chicken breast (4 to 6 pcs) and add 1 can of reduced sodium cream of chicken soup 1 packet of (dry) Hidden valley Ranch and 1 16oz container of Fat free or light sour cream..Mix this all together and pour over chicken and put in oven for about 45 min to hour on 400 degrees..then fix rice and serve over it..very yummy..
    Yum!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Chicken with Mozzarella

This recipe requires that you pound the chicken breasts to flatten them, but take care not to pound them so hard that you tear the flesh, making holes through which the delicious filling can escape.

SERVINGS: 6 chicken rolls

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 pounds)
    Salt
    Black pepper
    1/4 cup finely chopped shallots or onions
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1/2 of a 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
    3 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts, toasted
    3/4 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
    1/4 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 tablespoon olive oil

1. Place 1 chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat with all chicken breasts.

2. For filling, in a medium skillet cook shallots and garlic in the 2 teaspoons hot oil until tender. Remove from heat; stir in spinach, nuts, and smoked mozzarella. In a shallow bowl combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.

3. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling on each chicken breast. Fold in the bottom and sides; then roll up. Secure with wooden toothpicks.

4. Lightly brush each roll with the 1 tablespoon olive oil; coat with bread crumb mixture. Place rolls seam side down in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degrees F; oven about 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F). Remove toothpicks before serving. Makes 6 chicken rolls

Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
    Servings: 6 chicken rolls
    Calories 274
    Total Fat (g) 11
    Saturated Fat (g) 3
    Cholesterol (mg) 77
    Sodium (mg) 368
    Carbohydrate (g) 6
    Fiber (g) 1
    Protein (g) 35
    Vitamin C (DV%) 6
    Calcium (DV%) 18
    Iron (DV%) 8
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Chicken Pot Pie

1 c cutup chicken
    1 6 oz bag of thawed mixed vegetables
    1 10 3/4 ounce can FF cream of chicken soup
    1c reduced Fat Bisquick Mix
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1 egg

Heat oven to 400 degrees, Mix chicken, veggies, and soup in ungreased 2 quart casserole. Stir mix & milk until well blended. Pour into casserole. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Low Fat Chicken with Artichokes

Artichokes can be an intimidating vegetable, and if you need more than a few artichoke hearts for a recipe, you'll save a lot of time using the canned or jarred variety, as I do with this deliciously light chicken with artichokes recipe.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 40 minutes
    Total Time: 50 minutes
    Ingredients:
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    1 13.75-ounce can water-packed artichoke hearts, drained
    2 cups sliced mushrooms
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Preparation:
    In a large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté chicken breast for 5 minutes, turning once. Remove chicken and place in a glass baking dish.
    Empty drained can of artichokes into dish over and around chicken.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add mushrooms, garlic and oregano to skillet and gently sauté for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Empty mushroom mixture over chicken breast and bake in oven for 20 minutes, or until the chicken breasts have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve with noodles or rice.

Serves 4

Per Serving: Calories 216, Calories from Fat 18, Total Fat 2.1g (sat 0.5g), Cholesterol 82mg, Sodium 615mg, Carbohydrate 13g, Fiber 4.8g, Protein 36.5g
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Finally getting a chance to sit down and sift through my saved healthy chicken recipes. Hope there are some that appeal to those of you in need of new ideas. :wink: :happy:

Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore

This is soooo good! It was a huge hit w/ my family and I've shared the recipe w/ friends who loved it too!

http://www.recipezaar.com/Crock-Pot-Chicken-Cacciatore-41685
    (a link to the original recipe)

And here's how I made it:

4 lbs. chicken, cut up in pieces
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
    8 ounces sliced mushrooms
    1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
    2-4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons oregano
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon celery powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup white cooking wine
    1 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional

Directions
    1. Place onions in bottom of crock pot.
    2. Add chicken pieces.
    3. Stir all the other ingredients together.
    4. Pour over chicken.
    5. Cook on high heat for about 3 to 4 hours or 7 to 8 hours on low heat.
    6, Serve over pasta or rice. (I used Barilla whole wheat spaghetti)

Nutrition Facts - listed in database under Jess homemade Chicken Cacciatore

That does *not* include adding pasta or rice. I used Barilla Whole wheat spaghetti which is 200 calories per serving.

10 Servings

Amount Per Serving (figured at sparkpeople.com)

Calories 230.6

Total Fat 2.2 g

Saturated Fat 0.2 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g

Cholesterol 88.0 mg

Sodium 508.0 mg

Potassium 178.7 mg

Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g

Dietary Fiber 1.7 g

Sugars 3.1 g

Protein 40.4 g

Vitamin A 10.2 %

Vitamin B-12 0.0 %

Vitamin B-6 0.0 %

Vitamin C 32.0 %

Vitamin D 0.0 %

Vitamin E 0.0 %

Calcium 0.2 %

Copper 0.0 %

Folate 0.0 %

Iron 4.9 %

Magnesium 0.0 %

Manganese 0.0 %

Niacin 0.0 %

Pantothenic Acid 0.0 %

Phosphorus 0.0 %

Riboflavin 0.0 %

Selenium 0.0 %

Thiamin 0.0 %

Zinc 0.0 %

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
    (makes 6 servings)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded into bite-sized pieces

4 cups torn fresh spinach leaves or 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained

2 green onions, thinly sliced

1 8-oz. carton of nonfat sour cream

1/4 cup plain, nonfat yogurt

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup 1% milk

1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced

6 flour tortillas, 6-8 inches in diameter

1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

1. In a medium sized saucepan, cook fresh spinach with a small amount of water, covered, for 5 minutes on medium-high heat. If using frozen spinach, do not cook it. Drain well.

2. In a large bowl, combine cooked chicken, spinach and green onions. Mix well and set aside.

3. Make the sauce: In a medium sized bowl, combine sour cream, yogurt, flour, cumin and salt. Add milk and jalapeño pepper and mix well.

4. Pour half the sauce into the chicken and spinach mixture and mix well. Divide the filling among the tortillas. Fold opposite ends of a tortilla up about 1 inch over filling then fold the left and right sides over the folded end, overlapping.

5. Place filled tortillas, seam sides down on an ungreased rectangular baking dish.

6. Spoon remaining sauce over the tortillas and bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until heated through.

7. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and let stand for 5 minutes.

8. Top with salsa and chopped green onions as desired and serve.

TEXT VERSION OF NUTRITION FACTS:

Serving Size: 1 enchilada (196 g)

Servings Per Recipe: 6

Amount per serving
    Calories 248
    Calories from fat 57
    Total Fat 6 g
    Saturated Fat 2 g
    Cholesterol 41 mg
    Sodium 384 mg
    Total Carbohydrates 28 g
    Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Sugars 3 g
    Protein 20 g
    Vitamin A 70%
    Vitamin C 25%
    Calcium 20%
    Iron 15%
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Chicken and Broccoli Mac 'n Cheese

Prep Time:25 min
    Start to Finish:40 min
    makes:6 servings (1 2/3 cups each)

2 1/3 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta (8 oz)
    1 small red bell pepper, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
    1 bag (24 oz) Green Giant® frozen broccoli & three cheese sauce
    2 cups cubed cooked chicken
    1/4 cup fat-free (skim) milk
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
    1/3 cup Progresso plain bread crumbs
    3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
    1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    1 tablespoon olive oil

1. Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Cook pasta as directed on package--except omit salt and add bell pepper last 3 minutes of cook time. Drain; return to saucepan.
    2. Meanwhile, cook broccoli & cheese sauce as directed on bag. Stir cooked broccoli mixture, chicken, milk and ground red pepper into pasta. Pour into baking dish.
    3. In small bowl, stir together bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning; stir in oil, using fork. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over top of pasta mixture.
    4. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until top is golden brown and pasta is hot.

Nutritional Information

1 Serving: Calories 340 (Calories from Fat 80); Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 560mg; Total Carbohydrate 41g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 6g); Protein 24g
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    As was shared earlier www.eatbetteramerica.com is an excellent site to check out as they take a regular recipe and healthify it like they did this one. It's alot of fun sifting through recipes up there and realizing you don't have to eat the same things over and over. :)

Healthified Crispy Baked Chicken Nuggets
    www.eatbetteramerica.com

92% less fat • 73% less sodium than the original recipe—see the comparison. If fast food or frozen chicken nuggets are your go-to food for busy nights, switch to this feel-good version. They only take 30 minutes total and are amazingly low in fat and calories!

Prep Time:20 min
    Start to Finish:30 min
    makes:4 servings

1 cup crushed Wheaties® cereal
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
    1 egg white
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces

Preheat oven to 450°F.

In a resealable plastic bag, combine crushed cereal, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, and, if desired, cayenne pepper. In a small bowl, beat egg white with a fork.

Dip chicken pieces into egg white, allowing excess to drip off. Add chicken pieces, a few at a time, to cereal mixture in bag; shake to coat well.

Place chicken pieces in a single layer in an ungreased shallow baking pan. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170°F).

Nutritional Information

5 or 6 chicken nuggests:
    Calories 160 (Calories from Fat 20); Total Fat 2g (Saturated Fat 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 140mg; Total Carbohydrate 7g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g); Protein 28g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 2%; Iron 15% Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 4 Very Lean Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 1/2
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Oven-Fried Chicken

This oven-fried chicken is not only low fat, it's a kid pleaser. The fact that my daughter said that it tasted better than a certain fast-food joint's chicken is, I think, a compliment.
    Cook Time: 25 minutes
    Total Time: 25 minutes
    Ingredients:
    1 1/4 pounds chicken breasts, cut into four pieces
    2 egg whites
    2 cups crushed cornflakes
    2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp dried mixed herbs
    Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
    Place egg whites in a shallow bowl, and crushed cornflake crumbs, paprika and mixed herbs in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken into egg whites, then into cornflake crumbs.

Place dipped chicken on a baking tray coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cook for 20-25 minutes, turning the chicken halfway through.

Serves 4.

Per Serving: Calories 207, Calories from Fat 17, Total Fat 1.9g (sat 0.5g), Cholesterol 82mg, Sodium 269mg, Carbohydrate 12.3g, Fiber 0.4g, Protein 35.3g
  • masoca1
    masoca1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OMG! Yes!! http://busycooks.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/a/quickchicken.htm Everything on here is super quick and easy and really good. Luckily...since it's boneless skinless chicken, it's all good FOR you too! good luck!