Workout volme and frequency advice

Hey guys I would like some input on training. My goal is to build muscle, and stay decently lean. Im currently doing Joe Donnelly fitness.com's daily trainers. Its basically a body part a day
Mon- chest
Tues- Legs
Wed- Back
Thurs- Arms with a little chest
Fri- legs
Sat-shoulders
I have had to modify it a bit because I take a weight lifting class at my college and have limited time. But this is what Im doing now. But these workouts are HIGH volume and Ive enjoyed them and am getting a good sweat from them, but Ive done research and it appears more frequency is better like a push/pull/legs or PHAT. If I decided to switch to higher frequency and lower the volume, would lowering the volume cause me to lose any muscle since I most likely wont be getting as many sets in the week as before? Thanks!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    i'm confused. if before you were doing say....16 sets of chest on monday, but now you'll be doing 8 sets of chest on Monday and another 8 sets on Thursday, what makes you think that you're going to suffer from lowered volume if the net work is similar?
  • sethtt94
    sethtt94 Posts: 12 Member
    Since I would be working more muscles per day wouldnt that take more time? Would I be able to fit that many sets in a workout?( having about 1-1.5hrs)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    perhaps choose a workout plan that fits in your allotted time frame?
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    I agree that full body training sessions with higher frequency is better for building muscle mass. If you really wanted to use a split you could do upper/lower/upper/lower. I would also recommend working with a variety of rep ranges. This could be in a taper (10's week, 8's week, 5's week) or undulating, etc...
  • sethtt94
    sethtt94 Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks for the reply guys! I do like that rep rang idea because I like variety in my workouts!Could either of you recommend any program thats intense with increased frequency? Push/pull/legs, UpperLower , full body etc?