What to eat before and after running?

Options
So I was wondering what I should be eating before and after a morning run. I usually run at about 9 in the morning, if that matters. I was also wondering how long I should wait to run after eating. Any suggestions are appreciated. :D

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I always felt it was a personal preference. I run before lunch and eat right after.
  • dancerbyday
    Options
    When I go for morning runs, I don't normally eat before. And I drink only a few sips of water, or I will get a side ache. Or have to pee half way through. Also, after working out we are generally more satisfied with less food. So that's a plus. :) But make sure you don't cheat yourself after your run because you have just expended a lot of calories. And you can eat whenever after your run. If you eat something right after running (like within 30 min), that should help you lose weight a little faster because of this fun fact: your body continues to burn calories for about half an hour after working out, so instead of storing any fat you consume, it will burn at least some of it. I'm not sure how much. If you eat something like an apple right after, that will help with muscle development, and then you can go home and have a good breakfast. Of course, like ken_hogan said, it is all personal preference. But this is what I have found works for me. :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    . If you eat something right after running (like within 30 min), that should help you lose weight a little faster because of this fun fact: your body continues to burn calories for about half an hour after working out, so instead of storing any fat you consume, it will burn at least some of it.
    That's a myth
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I eat a boiled egg or a banana while getting dressed and drink some water. When I get back I drink more water and have breakfast, usually oatmeal, skim milk and soma applesauce or berries. I run at 5am.

It's all down to personal preference really.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you eat something right after running (like within 30 min), that should help you lose weight a little faster because of this fun fact: your body continues to burn calories for about half an hour after working out, so instead of storing any fat you consume, it will burn at least some of it. I'm not sure how much.

There is some truth in this, but not completely. Yes your body continues to use more calories for some time after exercise. But it does this whether or not you eat in that half hour. The glucose levels in your muscles are depleted (or at least reduced) and your body uses energy to refill that. It can do that from the energy you already have in your body, or from anything you eat.
    If you eat something like an apple right after, that will help with muscle development, and then you can go home and have a good breakfast.

Muscles are build from protein. Eating protein after a hard workout will help you build muscles. Especially if you get in some protein quickly after a training. An apple does not contain a significant amount of protein and as such cannot help you build muscles. It will refill the glucose in your muscles so you have more direct energy to burn, if you need to run again directly after. But for weight loss, or muscle building an apple is not specifically helpful, nor is it bad!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    So I was wondering what I should be eating before and after a morning run. I usually run at about 9 in the morning, if that matters. I was also wondering how long I should wait to run after eating. Any suggestions are appreciated. :D

I always wait at least two hours before I run if I have eaten, UNLESS I have eaten a banana. A banana I will run on after around 45 minutes.

I have gotten into the habit of deliberately eating a banana before training and after the run, eating something that is high in protein - usually Quorn or eggs.

The banana gives me a quick fix of energy for the run and the protein help with repairing any tiny muscle tears that I may have gained during my training session.