Dieting habits: to keep or to break?

Options
I have so many dieting habits, and although it feels like they're helping me in the beginning... Maybe they're actually contributing to the "screw it" phase that I get to after a month. Is it too much to keep up with in the long run ... Or does it help? ... I really don't know, what do you think? Do you do any of these?

1. Weighing yourself regularly
2. Counting down to a specific date to be "skinny" for..
3. Counting strictly.. Eg- having 4 almonds, should that be included in your diary?
4. Setting small goals but with time limits
5. Looking at old photos for motivation- sometimes leads to depressive over eating :\ (how ironic)
6. Purposely buying clothes in smaller sizes to fit into

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,024 Member
    Options
    The only one of those I have done is no. 1 - and even then my idea of 'regularly' is only weekly.

I get your point that becoming obsessed/over strict with it could contribute to burn and crash failure.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I only do no. 1 as well, and I weigh every other week. I don't like seeing the number bounce around.

Eventually, the one diet "rule" I established was moderation in all things, including moderation.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    1 I do this -- once a week.
    2 I NEVER do this. ---- No establishing due dates for my body.
    3 I absolutely do this every day.
    4 rarely
    5 rarely
    6 never

We do what we believe what works for us.
    Good luck to you. :)
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I was in weight loss mode for a year. I found time related goals to be really hard on me mentally since you can do everything perfectly and still the weight won't come off on the timetable you have set for it. Our bodies are stubborn!

Instead I set other goals - weigh less than my husband, weigh less than my driver's license says I do :) , weigh less than I did when I got married.... you get the idea! Much easier to keep those goals going than date related ones since if you don't hit the date ones it can be really discouraging!
  • bethnewey
    bethnewey Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I agree.. Time related goals can be so mentally exhausting.
    Haha, they sure can!! the amount of times ive plateaued and then given up -.^
    good idea, I'll set less specific goals, with no time limit
    thanks RAinWA
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1-yes, every morning
    2-when I started last year I hoped to be at my goal by this July. It's going to take me at least until next spring now, and I'm fine with that
    3-if I eat it, I log it
    4-no
    5-since I'm smaller now than I've ever been in my adult life, old photos just motivate me to work harder
    6-only if it's too good a deal to pass up
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I only do 1 and 3. Time-related goals are something I run from like the plague, they just don't mesh with my obsession with freedom and flexibility :) But I have a lot to lose, so I've split it into mini goals that I follow on my ticker on my profile page.

Number 6, never, I care too much about impeccable fit and you can't gauge that if you're not in the size of the clothing in question. What if it fits well but hangs totally ugly, or the shoulders are off, or there is a defect in the cut only revealed after you button/zip it up? How awful would it be to finally fit in it and find you hate it? But I have kept a few items in old sizes that used to fit me beautifully and am looking forward to trying those on again :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    1. Weighing yourself regularly (once a week while I was losing, every day in maintenance).
    2. Counting down to a specific date to be "skinny" for..No
    3. Counting strictly.. Eg- having 4 almonds, should that be included in your diary?yes...ish. I do have days I eat more/eat out/etc...I just log to the best of my ability
    4. Setting small goals but with time limitsno
    5. Looking at old photos for motivation- sometimes leads to depressive over eating :\ (how ironic)no
    6. Purposely buying clothes in smaller sizes to fit intono
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    There are only two of those I do and plan to continue... weighing myself and tracking and weighing my intake. I weigh myself daily and plan to for life. I avoided the scale for years and fooled myself into gaining a ridiculous amount of weight doing so.

For now, I plan on strictly tracking my intake for good as well. My eye is off when it comes to portions, and I'm short. It doesn't take more than a little off here and there to throw me over my calorie goals since my calorie allowance is fairly low.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and track pretty much everything (don't always include spices, which have a small amount of calories).

I would recommend weighing less often if it creates too much distress that you find it demotivating. You can weigh weekly, every other week, or even monthly.
  • bethnewey
    bethnewey Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! I'm suprised to see a few people weigh themselves daily. Thats what I tend to do, and usually everyone disagrees.. So its interesting to see that it works for some.
  • bruces41
    bruces41 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Less food to mouth and more foot to pavement...
    Keep it simple. Seriously, I find when I exercise I get to eat more of what I like, especially helpful when I know I am going to be going out to eat or to a party where I may have more calories than I normally do. I do weigh myself daily but only record it once a week.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1. Weighing yourself regularly- I weigh myself once a week.
    2. Counting down to a specific date to be "skinny" for..- No. I feel that is too much unhealthy pressure.
    3. Counting strictly.. Eg- having 4 almonds, should that be included in your diary? Kind of. I would count out almonds. I would not count individual popcorn pieces. I do measure/weigh and log almost everything.
    4. Setting small goals but with time limits no time limits
    5. Looking at old photos for motivation- sometimes leads to depressive over eating :\ (how ironic)- No. I don't find it motivating.
    6. Purposely buying clothes in smaller sizes to fit into- No. I do have a couple of things that did not fit that I keep. I try them on every so often and can see they are fitting better. I didn't purposefully buy clothes that don't fit. I feel that is also unhealthy pressure.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    bethnewey wrote: »
    I have so many dieting habits, and although it feels like they're helping me in the beginning... Maybe they're actually contributing to the "screw it" phase that I get to after a month. Is it too much to keep up with in the long run ... Or does it help? ... I really don't know, what do you think? Do you do any of these?

1. Weighing yourself regularly Yes, I weigh every day now.
    2. Counting down to a specific date to be "skinny" for.. No, but I played with projections and ETA.
    3. Counting strictly.. Eg- having 4 almonds, should that be included in your diary? Whenever possible/reasonable, I weigh everything
    4. Setting small goals but with time limits I did set intermediate goals with time frames, not time limits. Now I have a eternity time frame...!
    5. Looking at old photos for motivation- sometimes leads to depressive over eating :\ (how ironic) No. (Not relevant for me, I hate looking at photos of myself, whatever weight.)
    6. Purposely buying clothes in smaller sizes to fit into No, but enjoying shopping for tighter clothes as layer of fat got thinner.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1. Weighing yourself regularly- Keep. I weigh every day and track it on a trend.
    2. Counting down to a specific date to be "skinny" for.. -- Toss. Biology is a complex system and besides, skinny isn't even a goal in my case.
    3. Counting strictly.. Eg- having 4 almonds, should that be included in your diary? -- Keep. Yes, I count strictly. Yes, it is a pain in the rear.
    4. Setting small goals but with time limits - Within limits, yes. Incremental goals are excellent for overall success, but they need to be realistic. For me, losing five pounds in a month or speed up my swim time by another 4 seconds per 100 yards is realistic. 8 pounds a month or 10 seconds per 100 yards isn't.
    5. Looking at old photos for motivation- sometimes leads to depressive over eating :\ (how ironic) - Irrelevant in my case. I'm not losing weight to become more socially acceptable.
    6. Purposely buying clothes in smaller sizes to fit into A moronic waste of money. Buy and wear clothes that fit.
  • turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1. Weighing yourself regularly - I tend to weight myself several times a week. Yes, can be frustrating when you see it inch up, but it helps me be reminded to stay focused
    2. Counting down to a specific date to be "skinny" for.. Doing that now as a motivator. Again, keeping me focused.
    3. Counting strictly.. Eg- having 4 almonds, should that be included in your diary? I intend to be accurate every day. Sometimes I'm not as accurate as I could be and that's okay for me.
    4. Setting small goals but with time limits I've broken my big number into 10 lb increments - so each goal is 10 lbs. I do better with smaller numbers than seeing that big number looming out there.
    5. Looking at old photos for motivation- sometimes leads to depressive over eating :\ (how ironic) No. Why sabotage myself.
    6. Purposely buying clothes in smaller sizes to fit into[/b]Did that in my younger days. Didn't work then. Buy what fits you well now and go from there.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I never weigh myself. I know a lot may disagree with that, but I know myself and weighing either discourages me into giving up or encourages me to celebrate in the wrong ways lol. I do measurements occasionally, about 1 time a month. The inches are melting away and I'm happy with that progress. The actual number of pounds can come later for me.

I am now very strict on logging every last thing. I slacked off on this in the past.

I set small goals but no real timeline. I'd like to be smaller by May when my daughter gets her first college degree. I'm tired of hiding behind people in pictures to try and appear smaller!

I don't buy smaller clothes as a goal, but I have some smaller old jeans I will eventually be checking to see if I can get into them.

My absolute is logging everything and staying within my allowances. It's working. It's easy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've done most of these. Whether they help or not depends on you.

1. I weigh daily (usually), and think it helps because it robs the scale of its power over time and not weighing myself for years is part of how I gained. Knowing the number is owning it for me. I'm pro this one.

2. I think this can be self-defeating, but for me it's helpful if reframed to thinking long term. Rather than a specific number, I think about plans for the next year and about how if I am consistent I will be down a significant amount of weight or in better shape or so on then. If you can manage not to feel like a failure if you are down 25 instead of 30, I think it can be a good way to bring yourself out of the mindset where a year (or 6 months or whatever) may seem like forever so put it off another week, who cares. It helped me get started.

3. I find this helpful.

4. I do this with behavior-focused goals: this month I will work on going to the gym regularly or some such.

5. On the whole I think it's not great to live in the past, but I can see how this could motivate you or remind you that you can be smaller.

6. I did this with jeans--same brand and style. It was a nice additional way to measure and motivate myself. However, I would make sure that you don't do it at the expense of buying clothes that you look and feel good in now.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    bethnewey wrote: »

1. Weighing yourself regularly
    2. Counting down to a specific date to be "skinny" for..
    3. Counting strictly.. Eg- having 4 almonds, should that be included in your diary?
    4. Setting small goals but with time limits
    5. Looking at old photos for motivation- sometimes leads to depressive over eating :\ (how ironic)
    6. Purposely buying clothes in smaller sizes to fit into

1. I weigh myself daily or a few times a week.
    2. I do this to a point. For example, I want to weigh less this vacation than I did last vacation.
    3. I log everything. If I eat it, I log it. And if I don't weigh it out, I err on the side of caution and count it as more than I think it is.
    4. I do this, but if I don't achieve it, it doesn't matter to me. I know that this is a lifetime commitment. Right now, I've joined a lose 10 pounds the month of Feb. Is this going to happen for ME? No. I'm too close to my goal weight for it to be possible. But it's nice to have something to work towards.
    5. I don't actively do this. But if I run across an old pic, and I do a side by side view, it makes me incredibly happy to see the progress that I've made.
    6. No. Never. That's a complete waste of money.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    1. Weighing yourself regularly - I weighed myself daily for about thirty days to make heads and tails of my fluctuations, and have now gone back to once a week on the advice of my dietitian. Too many extreme dieters make the scale the focus of their success, their mood. I'm not riding that crazy train.
    2. Counting down to a specific date to be "skinny" for.. Heavens no. Too rife for failure. Though I have control over my choices, I can't control the rate of loss or even the weight on a particular day. I set weekly/monthly weight loss rates, and re-evaluate from experience.
    3. Counting strictly.. Eg- having 4 almonds, should that be included in your diary? Almonds, of course. They have a big calorie kick. Snack foods and fatty foods are measured carefully.
    4. Setting small goals but with time limits. Never a weight goal. It might be an exercise goal, a new habit, something like that. I am keeping in mind when I hit my next target weight which should be in the next two weeks.
    5. Looking at old photos for motivation- sometimes leads to depressive over eating :\(how ironic) Not trying to turn back the clock. I use photos of lady athletes to inspire me. I am losing weight to get my mobility back, not recapture youth.
    6. Purposely buying clothes in smaller sizes to fit into Heavens no. I celebrate achieving a size by packaging up my too-big clothes for donation. And planning a shopping trip.