Best Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
weehah
weehah Posts: 81 Member
The subject line pretty much says it all - I'm in the market for my first HRM and would love reviews/recommendations! Thanks a bunch in advance.

Replies

• ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I chose a timex ironman HRM....it's originally $109 from them (I can't remember the exact model but get on their website and check it out and you will find it, comes in 3 colors) But I got on amazon.com and searched for the same HRM and got it in like new condition still in the original box it just didn't come from a dealer for less than $40. But I think brand new it was still around $50-60 for the white one.

I love it! I'm not super tech savvy and was able to figure it out pretty well. It also has alarms for hitting your target zone or once you hit recovery etc. It DOES count cals, I don't think it lists that on amazon.

Either way no matter what you pick you can always check amazon for lower prices or even read customer reviews on them before purchasing.
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT 7!! Also, you can change the batteries in it yourself (which is a big plus).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto's to Timex having a HRM with a lot of nice features for really great price.

Polar you have to go up to much more expensive models to get the same features.

Timex is also nice because they have 2 versions of many models, analog and digital.

If focus is group classes with lots of other people with HRM's, or an electrical noisy room (picture rough modern with exposed conduit and electrical boxes and fan/light boxes, ect), than digital will have little interference.

If focus is on machines that can display the HR too for ease of use, and possibly build programs off if the HR, then analog is nice because most machines read the standard analog signal.

You don't mention what purpose though, so as you can imagine, asking what's the best HRM is like asking what's the best car, without any comment as to how you intend to use it.
    Advice can only be as specific as your are with question.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am soon going to be given the Suunto M1.

I read Suunto and Polar are the top brands. I think the one I am getting is a somewhat basic model.

I heard the best heart rate monitors can take your VO2max (if you know it) or have a test to calculate it. With that calories spent are way more accurate. I don't know whether the one I am getting can do that. I have a feeling it can't.
  • JohnnyCashMoney
    Options
    I've used Polar hr monitors for 20 years. You can't go wrong. You just have to decide on which features you need.
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    A girlfriend and I brought an Polar ft4 each. We had it for 2 years and it worked well for both of us. My girlfriend got a new battery and it is still going strong. I on the other hand moved on to a Polar FT60. It has a few more features which i liked. Plus my old watch was pink and the colour had faded. So it didn't look as nice as when I first brought.

Regardless, both of my watches were simple and easy to use. It just depends on what you are looking for in a watch.

I would love to get the Nike fit bits when it comes out to Australia. That will be the next one on my list
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 and love it!
  • weehah
    weehah Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bales - All of the above., Classes, running (with RunKeeper), spin bikes, etc.
  • meggyshae
    meggyshae Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR70 Fitness watch and heart rate monitor and LOVE IT!! It's very accurate!
  • heybales
    Options
    Bales - All of the above., Classes, running (with RunKeeper), spin bikes, etc.

Digital then for the classes, but no machines that would display the HR.

Now, you can actually buy a HRM sending unit and use a smart phone with app as the HRM, with Runkeeper even.
    smart phone not bad in spin class, quick clamp on accessory they make.
    Class though, welllllll, depending on how well you could secure it the arm probably with actions done.

And those use Bluetooth usually, so indeed digital.

Then just buying strap and app.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/01/wahoo-fitness-blue-hr-bluetooth-low.html
  • janetdungan
    janetdungan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    polar watch
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first HRM on Friday, a Polar FT7 and I love it. Totally worth the money so far and way more accurate than MFP.
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've had my Polar FT4 for over a year, I love it! It's simple to use, counts calories and keeps a file of all your sessions.
  • heybales
    Options
    I just bought my first HRM on Friday, a Polar FT7 and I love it. Totally worth the money so far and way more accurate than MFP.

How could you even possibly know that as a fact that it's "way more accurate"? Because the number is different, or because it's smaller, or because it's bigger?
  • JillLangOliver
    JillLangOliver Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4! I've had it for several months now and really enjoy using it.
  • EuSaNaD
    EuSaNaD Posts: 33
    Options
    I am soon going to be given the Suunto M1.

I read Suunto and Polar are the top brands. I think the one I am getting is a somewhat basic model.

I heard the best heart rate monitors can take your VO2max (if you know it) or have a test to calculate it. With that calories spent are way more accurate. I don't know whether the one I am getting can do that. I have a feeling it can't.

I agree, I have a Polar F11 and it tests your VO2max, and I find the 'calories burned' to be quite accurate.
  • hendongirl
    hendongirl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've got a Polar RS300 - love it :) especially the new strap which now works in the pool YAY!!!
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 has been great for me! I've been using it over a year and still love it. You can get it at bodytronics.com for a lot cheaper than you can get it in stores - Also, they might still be accepting the coupon code "popo" - I think it gives you 5% off. Good luck!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter how many of these threads get started. I'm always checking them.
    Now that I am off the beta blocker I can use an HRM.
    I'm thinking the FT40 because it is waterproof and uses the lower frequency transmitter. They work well in the pool from everything I have read.
    This will also give me the chance to see how high my HR spikes during heavy lifting. The beta kept my heart rate below what my muscles needed and resulted in some light headed episodes :)
    But no more.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40f. It comes with the chest strap and you are able to change the batteries on the HRM and watch yourself (some models make you send them to the manufacturer). Cals burned, HRM, and timer/clock. NO GPS/distance calculator. It is also water resistant to like 40m or something. I bought mine on Amazon.com for under $80.