Options
2»

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I eat a lot of raspberries and whole grain breads. Broccoli has a decent amount of fibre, too. Remember that there are two kinds of fibre -- soluble and insoluble -- and you want to try to get both into your diet.

Unfortunately I can't eat whole grain bread at all :(.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    You can get (certified) gluten-free oatmeal and steel-cut oats. Also, there are pastas made from lentils or black beans, that have 12 grams of fiber per serving, if you have room for some carbs. Beans are a source of soluble and insoluble fiber.
  • elphie754
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    You can get (certified) gluten-free oatmeal and steel-cut oats. Also, there are pastas made from lentils or black beans, that have 12 grams of fiber per serving, if you have room for some carbs. Beans are a source of soluble and insoluble fiber.

Not trying to be rude but I already said I am allergic to the actual oat.

I do have room for some carbs and will look into those, but I gave to be really careful with new products.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Good luck with finding good products. There are recommendations on the internet for safer (better due-dilligence) companies when it comes to gluten-free.
  • elphie754
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    Sorry. Good luck with finding good products. There are recommendations on the internet for safer (better due-dilligence) companies when it comes to gluten-free.

Thank you. I tend to find companies that I trust and then just stick with them. The problem I find is that a lot of companies use gluten free oats and will used shared equipment. Unfortunately oat is actually my worst allergy, so even trace amounts cause me to react. The best companies I have found though are actually European companies since they tend to have stricter standards than the US ones. Thankfully, after a few hard years, I have found what questions to ask to ensure my safety.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Valtishia wrote: »
    I don't know how much fiber you are trying to consume daily, but I generally get 30+ daily. I not only have issues with gluten, but also soy, yeast, msg and a whole bunch of preservatives. It is possible.

I know it is possible, the problem I seem to face is some of the foods high in fiber, I don't like the taste of, and I refuse to eat things I don't like. That was the issue with the quest bars.

I can understand what you are saying in regards to quest bars..... but here is an example of my foods in a day... and this particular day had 38g fiber. I listed total intake at end of each meal and the number in brackets after each item is the fiber for that item.

Breakfast
    Silk Almond Milk - Vanilla Unsweetened - Milk, 1.5 cup (2)
    Heartland Gold Organic - Brown Rice Protein , 2 scoop (4)
    Generic - Dole Baby Spinach, 1 cups (1)
    Larabar - Cashew Canada, 1 bar (3)
    Irresistables - Caribbean Flavor Mixed Fruit, 92.4 g (1)
    =11 g fiber

snack
    Iogo - Yogurt, 200 g (0)
    Zucchini muffins (Gluten free), 1 serving(s) (3)
    =3 g fiber

lunch
    Cabbage - Raw, 147 g (3)
    President's Choice - Extra Chunky Hot Salsa, 3 tbsp (0)
    Clover Leaf - Low Sodium, Flaked Light Tuna, 120 g (0)
    Orange - Clementine, 222 g (1 ea) (4)
    =7 g fiber

snack
    Bollo - Santa Claus Melon, 169 gr (0)
    Nakd - Cocoa Orange (Canada), 35 g (2)
    Blueberries - Raw, 156 g (4)
    =6 g fiber

dinner
    Que Pasa - Organic Carnival Tortilla Chips, 42 chips (5)
    Philidelphia Cream Cheese - Herb and Garlic Light, 2 tbsp(0)
    Avocados - Raw, 87 g (6)
    =11 g fiber

snack
    Kraft, Cracker Barrel - Mozzarella Cheese, 60 g (0)
    =0 g fiber

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Black soybeans?!? I was thinking of Colon Blow and Super Colon Blow.....SNL skit. . . .and yes my profile pic really is asparagus wrapped bacon.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    i munch on Fiber One cereal as a snack. Lots in there
  • elphie754
    Options
    I don't know how much fiber you are trying to consume daily, but I generally get 30+ daily. I not only have issues with gluten, but also soy, yeast, msg and a whole bunch of preservatives. It is possible.

I know it is possible, the problem I seem to face is some of the foods high in fiber, I don't like the taste of, and I refuse to eat things I don't like. That was the issue with the quest bars.

I can understand what you are saying in regards to quest bars..... but here is an example of my foods in a day... and this particular day had 38g fiber. I listed total intake at end of each meal and the number in brackets after each item is the fiber for that item.

Breakfast
    Silk Almond Milk - Vanilla Unsweetened - Milk, 1.5 cup (2)
    Heartland Gold Organic - Brown Rice Protein , 2 scoop (4)
    Generic - Dole Baby Spinach, 1 cups (1)
    Larabar - Cashew Canada, 1 bar (3)
    Irresistables - Caribbean Flavor Mixed Fruit, 92.4 g (1)
    =11 g fiber

snack
    Iogo - Yogurt, 200 g (0)
    Zucchini muffins (Gluten free), 1 serving(s) (3)
    =3 g fiber

lunch
    Cabbage - Raw, 147 g (3)
    President's Choice - Extra Chunky Hot Salsa, 3 tbsp (0)
    Clover Leaf - Low Sodium, Flaked Light Tuna, 120 g (0)
    Orange - Clementine, 222 g (1 ea) (4)
    =7 g fiber

snack
    Bollo - Santa Claus Melon, 169 gr (0)
    Nakd - Cocoa Orange (Canada), 35 g (2)
    Blueberries - Raw, 156 g (4)
    =6 g fiber

dinner
    Que Pasa - Organic Carnival Tortilla Chips, 42 chips (5)
    Philidelphia Cream Cheese - Herb and Garlic Light, 2 tbsp(0)
    Avocados - Raw, 87 g (6)
    =11 g fiber

snack
    Kraft, Cracker Barrel - Mozzarella Cheese, 60 g (0)
    =0 g fiber

Thank you for the example. I seem to pass up foods that have small amounts of fiber (because in my mind I think we'll it won't help lol) but seeing your example shows a little bit adds up in the end.
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Black soybeans?!? I was thinking of Colon Blow and Super Colon Blow.....SNL skit. . . .and yes my profile pic really is asparagus wrapped bacon.

Bacon wrapped asparagus has no calories right??? (Drool, now I want bacon lol).
    jpaulie wrote: »
    i munch on Fiber One cereal as a snack. Lots in there

No can do. Contains wheat and oat.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have another lentil recipe to try! This was a one dish/one pot meal, no grains at all, about 325 calories per serving. It made 4 generous servings, with 19 grams of fiber each. I doubled the amounts of vegetables, including using a large can of Italian size tomatoes (the can that had six servings for about 150 calories for the whole can). I used sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes for more fiber and because I really like how their sweetness offsets the earthy flavor of lentils. As per my usual way, I only used a teaspoon of oil to start the veggies sauteing. The flavor of this improved the second day. I also used a salt free seasoning blend from Trader Joe's to add a nice layer of flavor to it.

food.com/recipe/easy-lentil-stew-191459
  • elphie754
    Options
    I have another lentil recipe to try! This was a one dish/one pot meal, no grains at all, about 325 calories per serving. It made 4 generous servings, with 19 grams of fiber each. I doubled the amounts of vegetables, including using a large can of Italian size tomatoes (the can that had six servings for about 150 calories for the whole can). I used sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes for more fiber and because I really like how their sweetness offsets the earthy flavor of lentils. As per my usual way, I only used a teaspoon of oil to start the veggies sauteing. The flavor of this improved the second day. I also used a salt free seasoning blend from Trader Joe's to add a nice layer of flavor to it.

food.com/recipe/easy-lentil-stew-191459

That looks and sounds absolutely amazing. I'll give it a try on my next day off (Monday).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Everyday I seem to be rather low in fiber. I had been trying different flavors of quest bars but I honestly hate the taste. I can't justify eating something I don't like the taste of. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies but apparently not enough to reach my fiber goal. I am looking for foods (or supplements) that are high in fiber. I cannot eat wheat, barley, oat or gluten at all. I had tried psyllium capsules but they were so low per capsule it didn't help.

For me it's raspberries