Aching Shins for "Trying" to run

Options
I have been trying to run for exactly 2 months now. For the first month it was just brisk walking, then I found out about c25k.

I have been on the week2 (90 sec. run and 2 mins walk intervals. 10 min warmup, 5 min cooldown) part for 2 weeks, and I thought I was making slow but steady progress. Each session became easier than the previous one until today! The aching shins eventually subsided so long as I extended the walking parts. But today my shins ached more than they ever did even when I was just starting out. I knew my shins would eventually adjust to the excercise and I have been wearing the same pair of shoes, same routine.

I got to a point where I only needed to extend the 2 min walking part after 3 90sec run intervals, but today, my shins ached like they never ever did before - I paused after the first 90 sec run, then managed to finish a second 90 sec. run. And then my shins felt like they were burning. I managed to walk home feeling so defeated.

If it helps, its not exactly the front of my shins that hurt, its the outer sides of my shins. Im at 76kilos, 5'7" height. Female, 26 years old. And this is the first 2 months of my life that I have been consistently working out at least 3x a week.

Any advice? Should I take a break from "trying to run"? Should I just keep going until I can build it up again?

Replies

• GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Check out runners world.com It has advice for shin splints. I would think you should slow down until your shins recover.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a new pair of running shoes - fitted at a running store with gait analysis technology. I have been told that over 80% of shin splits are caused by ill-fitting footwear.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a new pair of running shoes - fitted at a running store with gait analysis technology. I have been told that over 80% of shin splits are caused by ill-fitting footwear.

^ this

Yes, they are.

Many people buy their trainers and when they try them on in the shop, all is fine and dandy. However, feet can swell up a little when running, suddenly making those same trainers slightly smaller, this in turn, results in the runner crunching his/her toes up and this then contributes to shin splints.

Getting gait analysis and then fitted for correct footwear saved my butt and my running as did Sorbothane insoles inserted into the trainer as these insoles absorb around 80-90% of the shock that goes through the legs everytime the foot strikes the ground.

Running on softer ground also helps splints.
  • bster23
    bster23 Posts: 1
    Options
    I would also check and see what the road you're running on is like. Is it a sidewalk or a road? I find that when I run on a sidewalk that crosses over multiple driveways in a residential area that I get major shin splints. It's the constant up and down in elevation that kills my shins. The following week decided to instead run on the road rather than the sidewalk and low and behold my shin splints were gone. :)
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have shin splints which are tiny stress fractures caused, usually, by wearing inappropriate or ill-fitting footwear. Your shins won't adjust to the exercise if you just keep doing what you're doing - you'll likely make it worse - so get yourself to a proper running shop and have someone assess you and fit you for good fitting shoes.
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the shin splints - it means you're a runner!

Shin splints hurt like a BEAST! Don't try to push through them.

Once you have sorted out your footwear, take a week off and do other cardio then come back to it.

Check out websites on shin splints for other things that might help.

This should not derail your running efforts long term. You are making GREAT progress.

And I can't say enough good things about the benefits of running for weight loss and overall fitness.

Good luck!
  • tbrignoni23
    tbrignoni23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Like most on here are recommening changing foot wear and taking a small rest time may help you recover. This was me when I first started running too. When I was in the military many complained about the same problem. Truth is everyone is different and some push through while others have to make some personal changes depending on prefances. Hope you find what works best for you.
  • stellalagerfeld
    Options
    I would also check and see what the road you're running on is like. Is it a sidewalk or a road? I find that when I run on a sidewalk that crosses over multiple driveways in a residential area that I get major shin splints. It's the constant up and down in elevation that kills my shins. The following week decided to instead run on the road rather than the sidewalk and low and behold my shin splints were gone. :)

I have avoided the sidewalk since I have started. I, too, have noticed that my shins hurt more because of the different angles of driveways and the up and downs. When you're legs are tired, even the slightest change on the angle youre stepping on can cause such discomfort and/or pain. Thank you. =D As a runner though, the only discomfort you're supposed to feel is the tightening feeling of the shins and calfs? I'm really new so I'm not sure what disomfort should be expected and what should be avoided.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing C25K, and I'll echo what others here have said: get some good running shoes. I never before owned a pair of shoes just for running, and it makes a tremendous difference. A good running store will recommend something based on the way you move so you're not just randomly guessing at what shoe is best.

Once you recover from the shin splints and get the right shoes, you should be back on track. C25K is great. I always hated running, but now I actually look forward to it and have signed up for two runs this fall already. You'll soon be addicted.
  • stellalagerfeld
    Options
    The sincerest thank yous to everyone who have replied, it's really encouraging to keep going.

I'm still trying to research more if this really is shin splints, they don't hurt unless I run for an extended period though...
    I have bought a regular pair of running shoes (Adidas Adicool) for this newfound activity but learning this now, I should have gone to a running store and have the running analysis to get the appropriate pair for my type.
    Will save up again for this one soonest, I have actually enjoyed running and I plan to do it long term.

May I ask what type of discomfort/pain did you guys experience when your were just starting out with running?
    I'm experiencing all sorts, now i feel there is a constant discomfort on my upper leg joint that connects to my lower hip and I feel it every time I move.

As advised, I'm taking at least a week off from running.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I mainly have soreness in my legs. I know a lot of people complain that the breathing is the hardest part, but for me it's my legs wanting to quit while I'm out running. I have some soreness afterwards, too, but nothing really major. It seems to be mainly in the lower part, although I get occasional knee pain afterwards. I had my kneecap pop off once many years ago, and I have a fibrous cortical defect that never went away (they usually disappear when you're a teen), so that might have something to do with the knee pain. None of it has been bad enough for me to miss a day though.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I got shin splints BAD, when I first started and had to take a few weeks off from running. I only run on the treadmill but they were still really bad. Like I couldn't even touch my shins lol. For me I think it was a combination of being way out of shape and needing to lose a little weight first. I've noticed that since I lost these initial 13lbs my shins rarely hurt anymore. Ive also been staying within the 5-6mph range because if i try to go faster my shins say no way lol. It takes a long time to get used to running. Just take it easy and try again when they feel better.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    heal striking
    improper foot wear
    = pain in lower legs

hip flexors are probably tight you need to stretch your whole body out after running
    look up yoga for runners on you tube it saved me
  • kittycatmeowmeow
    kittycatmeowmeow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ahh, shin splints are so painful - I get them when I power walk, not from running. I have found doing calf streches when I am warmed up has helped a lot, I googled it on youtube and found some really good ideas and since streching my calves out before and after my walk helps. I am also planning on building up my calf muscles and hope that helps.
    PS. I loved C25K!! How great is it :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

May I ask what type of discomfort/pain did you guys experience when your were just starting out with running?
    I'm experiencing all sorts, now i feel there is a constant discomfort on my upper leg joint that connects to my lower hip and I feel it every time I move.

I had a lot of quad soreness, but I blame a lot of it on weak quads following surgery. That has since passed. I also had IT band soreness that I used a foam roller for, but again I had surgery on my IT band in August so I'm not sure how much is related to that. The only other pain I had was when I stress fractured my foot because I put off getting a real pair of shoes. :grumble:

I agree with the replies here...you need new shoes. Also though, make sure you're not running too fast. When you first start running, you should run slow. And when you think you're going slow, slow down some more. It's really important that you take your time when building up your running speed.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    you must must must must must get fitted for running shoes at a proper store.
    it will make all the difference in the world. TRUST ME!
    Be prepared to spend about $80-$120, but it'll be worth EVERY cent. Promise.
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You may want to check your form as well. I had terrible pain before I corrected myself (was running flat footed without knowing it) and also stretch your hip flexors and change your shoes. New Balance has excellent technology to help beginners. Good luck!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    In addition to getting proper running shoes, there is a simple exercise you can do to build up the muscle running along your shin so that it doesn't get sore. Sit down and raise your leg straight out away from you. Point you toes straight ahead, as far away from you as you can, then point you toes as close to towards the ceiling (or your head, if your very flexible). Make sure you keep your leg straight and off of the ground while you do this. Do this as many times as you can, then do the same with the other foot. You can do this while you're watching tv, at work, or whenever you have a few minutes. This will strengthen that muscle up and help make running a little more enjoyable.
  • stellalagerfeld
    Options
    I mainly have soreness in my legs. I know a lot of people complain that the breathing is the hardest part, but for me it's my legs wanting to quit while I'm out running. I have some soreness afterwards, too, but nothing really major. It seems to be mainly in the lower part, although I get occasional knee pain afterwards. I had my kneecap pop off once many years ago, and I have a fibrous cortical defect that never went away (they usually disappear when you're a teen), so that might have something to do with the knee pain. None of it has been bad enough for me to miss a day though.

Me, too! At the very beginning, my lower legs would be reason I couldn't go further and longer. I got these new shoes (although not especially fitted for me) then my breathing was my challenge. But now I'm back to my lower leg issue.... But I'll get fitted for the correct running shoes and see how it helps. Thank you for your input.
  • stellalagerfeld
    Options
    heal striking
    improper foot wear
    = pain in lower legs

hip flexors are probably tight you need to stretch your whole body out after running
    look up yoga for runners on you tube it saved me

Thank you. That did it for me. =D I'm going to get fitted for a pair of running shoes.