Weight Fluctuation

Options
Question: How much does your weight fluctuate each day? I do not typically weigh myself each day, but for the past week I did. One morning I woke up and weighed 140.2lbs. I didn't eat or drink, all I did was shower and dry my hair. When I stepped back on the scale I was up to 140.8lbs. How did I "gain" weight?! I know I'd drive myself insane in if watched the scale like that on a normal basis, but I am truly curious. Thanks!

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If I weigh myself in the morning, I can easily be 6, 7, or even 8 pounds heavier in the evening. I drink A LOT of water. Even my first thing in the morning weight before I eat or drink can vary by 2 or 3 pounds from one morning to the next.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates all day long. I weigh daily, in the morning, but that's all because of how much it varies during the day. If you have anything to drink, your weight will be higher on the scale. Water, coffee, whatever it is, will increase your scale number. If you have a bowel movement, your weight does NOT decrease on the scale...no idea why not, but that's how it is. It's a fun thing to see for a couple of days, but don't let it mess with your head (easy for it to get in and play games with your motivation and dedication). Good luck and don't quit!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure as I only weigh in the morning, but I think maybe 3-4 lbs
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Green, what you describe is typical. Some of that .6 lb "change" might just be due to slightly different stance, slightly different support of scale "feet" on the floor, and added moisture. It's meaningless.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    First you are probably dealing with the difference between precise and accurate. A precise shooter gets all their shots in a tiny group, the accurate shooter hits the bullseye. In the case of your scale, I have very very serious doubts that it is accurate to 1.6 oz, because that is what the report in tenths of a pound indicates. If so, I would like to have it in my kitchen, not my bathroom. Has it ever been calibrated? I doubt it. So, don't pay any attention to those tenths of a pound.

Second, depending on how long your hair is, how hot your shower is and how long you spend in the shower, you could easily absorb 8 ounces of water in the shower.