Goal: 60 lbs by October 2015

Options
dbow100
dbow100 Posts: 8 Member
edited February 2015 in Introduce Yourself
feb 1, 2015...time to make this commitment. I am turning 40 later this month and have always felt overweight and struggled with my appearance regarding my weight. I am currently 240 pounds and feel that I need to lose about 60 lbs. I see many people have lost much more than that so I'm going to use that as motivation. Wish me luck!

Replies

• Emmaloubalajake
    Emmaloubalajake Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wishing you the best of luck
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    That's a great goal! Happy to share the journey. Sending Friend request.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi, bluefield100! I, too, want to lose 60lbs. I started on January 1st, at 220. It was a bit bumpy, but I did manage to lose 5 pounds last month. There's a motivation behind my wanting to lose 60lbs.: I need to renew my drivers license by 09-30-2015. I will be 61 in September. (I have always been truthful about my weight and my age.) This is my second time of MFP logging. The first time was 2011, which was mildly successful. I gave up, surrendering to stress-related family events: My EXCUSE!

This time = NO MORE EXCUSES + DAILY WEIGH INS + DAILY LOGGING*

What I learned is this: I have to make a conscious effort each waking moment to stay vigilant. I must become selfish (about losing weight) to not allow anyone to sabotage my efforts. I have to walk the walk. (If I show weakness, others will not take me seriously thus not be totally supportive; they may even TEST me with offers of tasty treats.)

*Daily morning weighing is a visual indication/motivator as to how I will proceed with the day. Daily logging reminds me the value of EXERCISE. Without exercise, I will NOT lose weight; this is a truth. Also true: TRACKING CALORIES. Tracking calories helps me make better choices. I see a visual reminder of the food choices I make.

I'm not following a specific diet or exercise program. I hope to challenge myself bit by bit, increasing my workouts week by week. I do not go hungry. Adapting a fit lifestyle plan is essential to ensure that my retirement years, starting in July 2021, will enable me to physically participate in all I hope to do!

Bluefield100, you are 20 years younger than me. Trust me when I tell you the following: Make yourself your priority. You must become selfish to put yourself first. When I was your age, I was a single mom of two boys, working full time, pinching pennies to pay auto/mortgage/orthodontists/daycare bills, maintaining a home w/front and back yards - all of these became EXCUSES for not making "me" time. The pounds packed on. Underneath all the fat, I was miserable. I was ashamed. I was embarrassed. I was the fattest AND oldest "soccer" mom. Always in the back of my mind was the thought, "One day I'll be able to have the time to take care of myself." In hindsight, I know that I could have incorporated small changes into my daily routines, but I just didn't DESIRE to do the work, to push myself.

Bluefield100, I don't know what your personal circumstances are, but, please, please, make yourself a priority! Become selfish. Stay focused. Ban excuses. It really is simple: Eat less and move more.

I'm not going to wish you "luck" (like you asked); instead, I'm going to wish you STRENGTH.