Early morning workouts!

Options
I have a goal set to do a workout in the morning so I don't make excuses all day and end up not doing it at all. My problem is, my schedule is so that I can't eat and then wait to work out, but if I don't eat I feel like I don't have enough energy to finish the workout. Anybody have a good morning pre-workout snack? I don't want to get a stomachache either...

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    banana, protein shake... a few eggs... an apple... anything light really... oatmeal if i have an hour before training.... try stuff, see what works for you
  • peasgarden
    peasgarden Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump!!!
  • janetdungan
    janetdungan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    NEVER EVER EVER eat before AM workout. NEVER. when you wake, your glycogen levels are at their lowest. when you work out, your body needs glycogen, so it goes to the fat storage and converts to energy, making you lose triple the weight instead of nothing if you ate. if you had a snack, your calories burned will burn those eaten. putting you right back where you started. one step back, one step forward. no progress. you're better off, not eating, its called FASTED CARDIO. google it. all professional athletes do it. then they lift weights at night. it also causes your body to burn more calories even way after session is over. feed yourself when you are done and make sure its equal carbs, protein to feed muscle so it burns fat for you and the carbs give you energy to function for the day.
  • julialdr
    julialdr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I find an apple or banana works great. The sugars are digested quickly so it can be eaten about 20 min before I workout and light enough that it doesn't upset my stomach.
  • julialdr
    julialdr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    NEVER EVER EVER eat before AM workout. NEVER. when you wake, your glycogen levels are at their lowest. when you work out, your body needs glycogen, so it goes to the fat storage and converts to energy, making you lose triple the weight instead of nothing if you ate. if you had a snack, your calories burned will burn those eaten. putting you right back where you started. one step back, one step forward. no progress. you're better off, not eating, its called FASTED CARDIO. google it. all professional athletes do it. then they lift weights at night. it also causes your body to burn more calories even way after session is over. feed yourself when you are done and make sure its equal carbs, protein to feed muscle so it burns fat for you and the carbs give you energy to function for the day.

There are conflicting studies both for and against this... I don't have the energy to workout properly if I haven't eaten (therefore burning fewer calories), experiment and find what works for you.