Success with recumbent bike

Options
Anyone on here have success losing a good amount of weight using a recumbent bike? I have about 60-70 lbs to lose. I live no where even close to a gym, and I was looking into buying one for home. I am limited on space and I found one that is foldable and would be a perfect size for my home. Just wondering if anyone has used one and did it work well for them?

Replies

• ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It was ok to start with (last spring), but then I wanted more calorie burn. Luckily, the weather became nice and I started walking, then jogging. Then I got my first real bike in 20 years and loved it! Winter again and now I have a used treadmill and the bike. I go until tired on the treadmill and then do a bit on the bike. I also alternate in fitness videos (Jillian Michaels or youtube) and yoga.

The most important thing is that you find something you like and WANT to do.

Also, set up little goals for yourself. I found that once I started using Map My Walk (phone app) I had someone to compete with (myself) and I was far more motivated to do more.

Good luck!
  • That1Chick_Brit
    That1Chick_Brit Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Cool, thank you for your input. I love to be outside and walk and all, but it is winter here in Illinois and we currently are receiving a foot of snow. lol So I was looking for something that could help me get in some cardio inside. I would like to get an actual bike in the summer too!
  • shrinkingmeagan
    shrinkingmeagan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's all about intensity. Use the heartrate monitor to make sure that you stay well into target zone. Adjust speed and resistance accordingly. Don't forget that there are great videos out there (some found in libraries)- from Leslie Sansone to Jillian Michaels.
  • That1Chick_Brit
    Options
    So would you recommend more of an upright stationary bike? I am still looking and I did find one in my price range that also doesn't look like it will take up a lot of space.
  • That1Chick_Brit
    Options
    hahah got it! Thank you for your advice!
  • latoyaaaa
    latoyaaaa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Anyone on here have success losing a good amount of weight using a recumbent bike? I have about 60-70 lbs to lose. I live no where even close to a gym, and I was looking into buying one for home. I am limited on space and I found one that is foldable and would be a perfect size for my home. Just wondering if anyone has used one and did it work well for them?

It's pretty much the only thing I use besides walking and treadmill (a little)
    I've lost 76 lbs.

• That1Chick_Brit
    Options
    Sweet! Congrats!
  • 10alliemarie
    10alliemarie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbant bike. I lost weight using it about 2 years ago while eating healthier and doing a light handweight/pushup routine after biking. I used a heart rate monitor to make sure I was pushing myself enough. I am starting to get back into exercise and diet again.
  • little686
    Options
    I use a recumbent bike and walk. I had a knee replacement and recumbent bike was recommended by therapist. (I know about winter- live in Saskatchewan ). So far I have lost 35 lb. Need to do at least another 35.
  • caperchick78
    caperchick78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have a Nordictrack recumbent bike and I've lost 65 pounds since April 2014. I started with 5 minutes per day and then worked my way up to 30-40 minutes. It's a great workout and it's good if you have back problems (which I do).
  • WonderWomanMomma
    Options
    I use the recumbent bike at our hotel gym daily, and since starting in January, I've lost 25.5 lbs. I have a bad knee, and it is a less strenuous workout for it than say jogging on the treadmill. I love it! I work out 30-90 minutes a day.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent bike along with a treadmill and an elliptical - I like my recumbent bike the best hands down. It gives you a great workout, and you can read/watch TV while you're getting your workout in. I've lost 25 pounds and am on maintenance.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yes but it can't be your whole workout. You need to use weights too.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think it's just like any other piece of equipment; you'll get out exactly what you put in. Anything will work if you spend a good amount of time on it at the right intensity level. I don't have a recumbent, but my bike has definitely helped me cut weight.
  • bibliocephalus
    bibliocephalus Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've lost 28 lbs so far with primarily the recumbent and walking for exercise. And of course calorie deficit, as calculated by MFP. I'll echo what others have said, use a heart rate monitor, and not the exercise pre-set calories when determining how many calories to eat each day. Or don't eat back more than half of MFPs estimates for exercise calories burned. At least that's what is working for me.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    First 2 years lost only 20lbs (240lbs to 220lbs). At the same time, I didn't realize how much cardio and leg strength I had built up. I transitioned to riding a bike outside and went on 60mi-100mi rides without tiring. The weight lost wasn't the prize, the prize was getting healthy enough to pursue what ever I wanted to accomplish. This allowed me to go from 220 to 180lbs by being able to run, bike, swim, lift weights, go rock climbing etc.
  • Sasquarah
    Sasquarah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbant bike! it's the best! I have mine in front of the TV and so i just pedal away while i am watching TV. In nice weather i still like to go for a walk or a ride on my real bike but for cold winters and hot summers it's the best! plus you don't have to join a gym or leave the house!
    I originally lost 20kg by limiting and tracking my calories everyday and doing about 45 mins on the recumbant bike 5 days a week!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!