Nice to see a gym owner with the right attitude

Options
segacs
segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
When an overweight woman was ridiculed by two other clients at the gym, the owner took action:

The owner of Gym L’Extreme in Boucherville has taken action to fight bullying in the locker rooms of his gym.

According to Dave the owner, early last week a woman with ‘extra weight’ was laughed at by two other clients while changing.

He says in a video posted to the gym’s facebook page, that the woman left devastated, inconsolable, and that he won’t stand for any further harassment.

Dave has chosen to support the woman, and other overweight people interested in working out by offering year-long subscriptions to 25 people who are overweight for free.

He hopes to foster a “little circle” of people in the same position, in hopes that they feel more comfortable coming to the gym.

Dave’s video took off, with more than 275,000 views by Sunday.

He also posted a message to his wall requesting clients to report any perceived harassment, as the gym has a 0 tolerance policy against it.

cjad.com/cjad-news/2015/02/01/boucherville-gym-owner-rejects-bullying

People of all shapes and sizes who are trying to get fit deserve support, not harassment or ridicule. Good on this gym owner for calling out this behaviour.

Replies

• iwillsucceed0444
    iwillsucceed0444 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Awww good for him!!! :) I feel for the lady. That must have been terrible for her. :( I hope she keeps coming in!
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I'm just disappointed with how some adults lack civility and respect.

I don't think I would have given away free memberships if I was the owner, but I would refuse service to anyone who can't act like a decent human being.

But yeah. Good job, Dave.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    There are no fat people in the gym, just works in progress. Laughing at someone who is overweight for being in the gym is like laughing at a patient receiving medical care in a hospital.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    He definitely has a good attitude. Harassment shouldn't be tolerated against anyone, any day, any time, for any reason. Good for him!
  • segacs
    Options
    By the way, here's a link to the video: https://facebook.com/Gymlextreme/posts/776272109107833

(It's in French, for those who understand it.)
  • iwillsucceed0444
    iwillsucceed0444 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    By the way, here's a link to the video: https://facebook.com/Gymlextreme/posts/776272109107833

No clue at all what he's saying lol.
    But he's hot! <3
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

No clue at all what he's saying lol.
    But he's hot! <3

It was two girls (that surprised me, not sure why, interesting) that bullied a lovely, sweet, gentle woman, who wound up crying all night, he said, and he's not putting up with it. He believes that people should feel good in their skin, no matter what they look like, and that that's the whole point of fitness, and he wants to encourage self-acceptance in a spirit of love. He's awesome :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What in God's name would make those young women mock her?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    What in God's name would make those young women mock her?

Mean Girl syndrome :/
  • segacs
    Options
    Furthermore, he also said the two girls who mocked this woman are banned from the gym until further notice, but he did invite them to reach out privately to discuss this and work it out. He also said he's giving away the 25 free memberships in effort to create a support circle or group of people with similar goals who work out at the same time who can support each other.
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stand for. That ever. Those girls had to be buzzed up or something??