Anyone have a "blow the eating" day a week?

Options
Sactown900
Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
I used to make Saturday or Sunday "NO exercise" to rest these 59 year old joints from six days of lifting, walking or cycling, but not go over my 1700 calories a day (at 6' 2" 241 lbs MFP said I should be eating 1860 per day). I am now 210 lbs.

Lately, I have been grazing on Sunday's and eating up to 2500 calories, plus not exercise at all.

Anyone else done this? I do not want to blow my .5 to 1.0 pounds a week I have been loosing.

Just curious.

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I have started saving extra calories for days I feel like eating over the budget. At the end of the week the average calories are still at my goal.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a blow day in months.

xoxo
  • Adrasteis
    Adrasteis Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a blow day in months.

xoxo

Lol :laugh:
  • blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    Options
    Absolutely not. Your either doing it or your not, can't have it both ways.
    Most I have done in 16days is go over cals by 200, every other day I have been below. I'm down from 90.3 to 86kg.

Put foods you enjoy in your allowance and eat wise with the rest of it.

Cheat days are for those with weak discipline set to fail!
  • The3digiteffect
    The3digiteffect Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been working out 6 days a week while on a 1,200 calorie diet. Monday to Friday, I'll train for an 45 minutes to an hour... but on Saturday I'll train for 1.5 hours and reward myself with a treat meal! :)
  • It is good to increase your daily caloric goal for one day of the week while on a caloric deficit diet. If you stay eating a low calorie diet for a long period of time, over time your metabolism will find ways to preserve energy, and lower your basal metabolic rate- therefore putting you out of a deficit. This process doesn't happen over night, and it affects some more than others, but by increasing calories by 500-700 more than your deficit you will slow the process of your metabolism slowing itself down a lot.
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't have any personal experience to relate but I recently read that a day of relaxed eating fires the metabolism right up :)
  • genghis54
    genghis54 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I totaly agree with the above comments, and I have one lenient day a week.
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Since I started maintenance I have more cheat days than I should. But while losing I only cheated on Saturdays usually just one meal. Worked for me and kept me honest all week just waiting for Saturday
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    Every sunday I'll usually exercise for about 2 hours (strength and cardio) and go up to about 1800 calories. However, I only eat 1/3-1/2 of my exercise calories I burn during the week. It helps me to keep my diet strict during the week knowing that I'll have the opportunity to satisfy my cravings at the end of the week :)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Yes, I usually do this - although I have days during the week where I don't meet my calorie goal anyway, so it all averages out to be -20% TDEE for me. I personally like the idea of varying the amount of calories you have on each day during the week, and one day isn't going to make you put EVERYthing back on so long as you don't completely blow out on junk!!

Do what you need to to make the permanent change, if that's having a blow-out day a week, I say go for it :)

Good luck whatever you decide to do!
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I like to do a "spike" day, i.e eating a lot more calories than usual at least once a week.

Problem is: I sometimes get carried a way a little (such as last week) and have a little too many of these days lol
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options

Wow, award for the most judgemental statement of the morning. Talk about sweeping statements!
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've started thinking week calories rather than day calories. So if I have calories left, I can have a little extra in the weekend. But I must admit I don't like it when I see my net calories in red at the end of the day.
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Wow, award for the most judgemental statement of the morning. Talk about sweeping statements!

Lol
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I cannot understand the logic behind 'cheat' days. The only person you are cheating is yourself and you are making eating unhealthy, or too much, food, into something to look forward to and to aspire to. Surely you should be aspiring to that overworked phrase, 'a lifestyle change'? Part of my lifestyle change is that things I used to snack on daily are now something I eat in small quantities occasionally and always within my calorie allowance. Even then I find my tastes changing and the candy type chocolate I used to eat a lot is now too sweet for me, so I eat more healthy and less calorific dark chocolate, and not very much of it.

To me it's like cheating at golf, going out one day a week and not counting all your strokes so you can boast about how good you are.
  • blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    Options
    I cannot understand the logic behind 'cheat' days. The only person you are cheating is yourself and you are making eating unhealthy, or too much, food, into something to look forward to and to aspire to. Surely you should be aspiring to that overworked phrase, 'a lifestyle change'? Part of my lifestyle change is that things I used to snack on daily are now something I eat in small quantities occasionally and always within my calorie allowance. Even then I find my tastes changing and the candy type chocolate I used to eat a lot is now too sweet for me, so I eat more healthy and less calorific dark chocolate, and not very much of it.

To me it's like cheating at golf, going out one day a week and not counting all your strokes so you can boast about how good you are.

Exactly this, why work hard and be strong for 6 days out of 7 and then potentially undo some or all of the rewards.

My reply wasn't judging or a sweeping statement. It is simply true and was designed to help motivate those who may struggle not to binge.

If you are eating more on one or two days a week or upping cals in general as you think its the best choice medically then that is different but otherwise what I said was true and you can always get enjoyable foods in your allowance or earn more through working out.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    My reply wasn't judging or a sweeping statement. It is simply true and was designed to help motivate those who may struggle not to binge.

Motivate. Of course you were. Remember, truth isn't always truth, sometimes it's opinion.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days but today I had a '*kitten* it it's a public holiday and one day won't make me fat'day. Now I want to throw up a lil bit and I'm uncomfortable. So probably won't do that again in a hurry :laugh: added up the cals and I actually ate under TDEE anyway. SO go figure. Guess my body has changed inside as well as out over dropping the 17 kg I've lost
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

Motivate. Of course you were. Remember, truth isn't always truth, sometimes it's opinion.

yes it was judgemental. yes it was sweeping. no it wasn't true. no it wasn't motivational. no eating more occasionally isn't a binge.

you're entitled to your opinion, but in this instance your opinion is offensive