Protein shakes for weight loss

Options
What are the best protein shakes for weight loss?? And when should you have them?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    None. Calorie deficit for weight loss. Protein shakes/powder to increase protein intake if macro needs are not met by food alone.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not for weight loss, they're for protein.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    But But ....my aunts cousin knows somebody you drinks them and she said her friends lost xxx pounds
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I only consume protein shakes because I suck at getting enough protein in without feeling like I need to eat a whole chicken. Also, I like Greek yogurt.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Protein is one of three macronutrients that make up your diet. Protein should be around 30-40% of your calorie intake based on your goals.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said, they are more for upping your protein.
    Having said that, I have recently swapped my 500 calorie bowl of sultana bran and milk for a 200 calorie protein shake which gives me less sugar/carbs and calories and more protein. But by themselves I don't think protein shakes stimulate weight loss. There are members here who swear P shakes help with their weight loss. You could try it and see.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I use them to increase protein and have 1-2 most days. I have shakes which equal around 150 calories when made with skimmed milk so they are low calorie and also low carb. I sometimes have them after weight training or to replace one meal so I can use more calories for my main meal which is usually lunch.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work like that, OP.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I use protien shakes on days I dont get enough from my food. Plus, the one I bought tastes really really good, so its like yoohoo that magically has protien.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    People use protein powders to hit their macros, maintain lean body mass, some use them on top of daily calories for bulking, a scoop of whey is like a piece of chicken except it's quicker to prepare and per gram of protein a wee bit cheaper.
  • livb528
    livb528 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have seen the scale move more the next day after I have a protein shake before bed but I am really not sure why that is? I don't drink them for that reason, though. I drink them because they taste like milkshakes and I am hoping to maintain lean muscle mass as I lose weight. I use biochem but I don't think the brand makes a difference.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    There's no magic foods out there that will magically make you lose weight. Protein shakes & bars are another way to up your protein count or could be used as a quick meal if you're running low on time.

To lose weight all you need to do is eat in a deficit & accurately know what you're eating by measuring your food on a digital food scale.
  • mindful2012
    mindful2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use a protein shake right after I workout, especially if I lift weights. This helps in the recovery from the workout. I use Biochem Whey protein - I particularly like the berry flavor. I just add it to a cup of milk. This is just one person's opinion and one of many protein products on the market though.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie for breakfast nearly everyday. I've lost 36 pounds since July. I noticed that I lose best when I keep my protein up. Works for me!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Same as above; I drink Ensure and Special K protein shakes to increase my daily protein intake. I also eat protein bars occasionally for that reason (usually Luna).

Protein shakes and bars are filling as well, so they make for a great quick breakfast or snack.
  • chastityheather
    chastityheather Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like adding protein (BSN Syntha 6) to my smoothie some mornings or I'll have one right after I lift. Protein does tend to keep you feeling fuller longer, so maybe that's what OP was getting at.
  • I think we all know what she meant in her question! PhD Pharma whey protein powder to mix with water or milk if you must. Get it on amazon in a variety of flavours. As someone already said, great way of reducing your carbs eg as a breakfast replacement, why eat a 500 cal cereal no matter how good when you can have a 200 cal shake packed with protein? Seconds to make and cheaper too! I do a lot of running at the moment and find that while I'm restricting calories, protein shakes definitely help me to recover better between runs. They also fill you up better than carbs.