Skinny guy wanting to bulk

Options
Im 128 pounds, 5 foot 8 and a little bit toned but i need help on the eating part, how many calories and what should i eat?

Replies

• datdere1
    Options
    Strong weight.

Eat everything you can and a lot of it. I used to be skinny (6'5" 175lbs) then I manned up, started lifting heavy, and eating over 6kcal a day.

You'll get there if you want it bruh.
  • Grumpyanon
    Grumpyanon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and I was around your weight. I'm not a big frame either. Now I'm 75kg (165 pounds). You just have to eat regularly like every few hours and be prepared to put on a little bit of fat at first. Dont worry too much about exact calorie intake as long as you are filling yourself. Stick to proper foods like meat, milk, rice, oats etc and not junk like potato chips, chocolate and things like that.

I worked out 3 times a week on all the major muscle groups. I put on half the weight in about 3-4 months.
  • gio14
    gio14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    U need to figure out how many calories your burning a day. Get a a hr monitor like the Fitbit charge hr. Once u figure out how many calories u expend a day add 10-15% extra calories x/day. Basically if u consume 2000 cals per day u need to eat an extra 2000 on avg x/week to gain about 1lb x/week. Good luck!
  • milsha123
    Options
    Look up IIFYM calculator online and get your macros first then eat food to get your macros and hence your calories to where you want. That calculator should guide you to what you want to add on in weight. NO JUNK FOOD. Eat six times a day. Work out at least three times a week with weights. Sleep well. Log on all your food on this fitness pal app. You can't go wrong now with the daily cals measurement.
    If you do it right, you will gain one pound a week easy.
    Good luck!!!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Figure out your maintenance cals (just plug you stats into the app/site and it'll take a best guess for you).

Eat 500 cals more than this number a day whilst engaging in a 3 day a week progressive full body lifting routine (or a 4 day upper/lower type thing if you're an intermediate)

Make sure you get enough carbs. You'll get adequate protein if you're eating for bulking normally anyway.

It doesn't matter if you eat steamed chicken and broccoli every meal, or have the occasional kfc, or end up living in McDonalds. Get adequate carbs and proteins and be in a 500 cal surplus with a good lifting routine and you'll add mass.

Keep re-visiting your numbers because maintenance is a moving target in a bulk and you'll probably find as you go along you'll have to add extra cals every day. Check the scale periodically - if you're not adding 1lb-ish a week, up your cals until you are.

Clean eating, eating 6 meals a day (or 3, or 1) is all irrelevant. Eat what you want, that you can manage, fits with your taste/lifestyle and hits your macros. Adherence and hard work trumps all the micro-managing *kitten* people think they need. End of.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Figure out your maintenance cals (just plug you stats into the app/site and it'll take a best guess for you).

Eat 500 cals more than this number a day whilst engaging in a 3 day a week progressive full body lifting routine (or a 4 day upper/lower type thing if you're an intermediate)

Make sure you get enough carbs. You'll get adequate protein if you're eating for bulking normally anyway.

It doesn't matter if you eat steamed chicken and broccoli every meal, or have the occasional kfc, or end up living in McDonalds. Get adequate carbs and proteins and be in a 500 cal surplus with a good lifting routine and you'll add mass.

Keep re-visiting your numbers because maintenance is a moving target in a bulk and you'll probably find as you go along you'll have to add extra cals every day. Check the scale periodically - if you're not adding 1lb-ish a week, up your cals until you are.

Clean eating, eating 6 meals a day (or 3, or 1) is all irrelevant. Eat what you want, that you can manage, fits with your taste/lifestyle and hits your macros. Adherence and hard work trumps all the micro-managing *kitten* people think they need. End of.

Well said. Bulking is 70% eating enough, and 25% destroying yourself in the gym. And 5% not freaking out & giving up when you get a bit pudgy lol. Serious mind games await you, OP.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »

Well said. Bulking is 70% eating enough, and 25% destroying yourself in the gym. And 5% not freaking out & giving up when you get a bit pudgy lol. Serious mind games await you, OP.

Oh those mind games are fun, aren't they?
  • dannyadams68
    Options
    Thank you all for your useful advice:)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Oh those mind games are fun, aren't they?

they suck …!!!
  • dannyadams68
    Options
    I have gained around 3-4 pounds and most of it is muscle
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Well put!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

how do you know this?
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    milsha123 wrote: »
    Look up IIFYM calculator online and get your macros first then eat food to get your macros and hence your calories to where you want. That calculator should guide you to what you want to add on in weight. NO JUNK FOOD. Eat six times a day. Work out at least three times a week with weights. Sleep well. Log on all your food on this fitness pal app. You can't go wrong now with the daily cals measurement.
    If you do it right, you will gain one pound a week easy.
    Good luck!!!

LOL. A proponent of IIFYM on one hand, and bro science on the other. That's cute. Other than the eat 6 times a day and NO JUNK FOOD comment it makes sense. it takes 3500 calories to add a lb of muscle, so if you're eating at a 500 calorie surplus each day, you'll gain roughly 1lb a week. You definitely want to figure out your TDEE and use that as a guide +500 cals. Next thing you need to do is set your macros, typically in a bulk, I would aim for 1g of protein/lb of LBM (bodyweight minus body fat percentage), and .45g's of fat x bodyweight, carbs should fill the rest of ur calories.

*Note* 1g carb or protein = 4 calories, 1g fat = 9 calories

Do the quick math, set ur macros as close as u can in MFP, and hit ur calorie goal daily. (CALORIES ARE MOST IMPORTANT HERE).

GOOD LUCK!
  • moisesfgr
    moisesfgr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • dannyadams68
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

how do you know this?

Because I can see great gains in my upper body: chest, arms etc. not much fat & i have upped in my weight training.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

how do you know this?

Because I can see great gains in my upper body: chest, arms etc. not much fat & i have upped in my weight training.

Are you measuring the gains or just viewing the gains?

You should be upping the amounts of weights if you lift regularly
  • dannyadams68
    Options
    How do you measure the gains?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    How do you measure the gains?

Tape measure, calipers, electrical impedance scale, DEXA, BodPod, or water tank. The first three are easy and cheap the last three not so much but give more accurate measurements. The first three will give good relative measurements at least. The point is you can't know what your gains are in LBM and FM until you take some measurements. That rate of increase is not likely to be much in the way of muscle but water, glycogen and fat, plus a bit of muscle. If you gained more than 2lbs of muscle in that amount of time you are genetically gifted.