Is 20lbs in two months realistic?

Options
2»

Replies

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    There are no absolutes in life and this is true here as well. It is absolutely possible to lose ten pounds or more in a month. It's just not easy or simple. Most people throw the following two statements at anyone trying to lose more than 2lbs a week: it's not safe and it's not sustainable.

Whilst there is a degree of truth to both these statements they are not exactly 100% accurate.

The reason it might not be safe is that in order to lose more than 2lbs a week, you will need to be hitting a 1000+ calorie deficit every day which for me would be a limit of 1500 a day. Getting lower than this runs the risk of you not getting enough nutrients, minerals and vitamins and whilst that's no problem in the short term (a few days), will cause problems if you do it on an ongoing basis.

The way I get round this is activity and lots of it. If you are averaging 500-1000 calories a day in extra activity then you have far more scope to limit the calories eaten and still get the nutrients you need. Many people have been skeptical about this but I don't mean you have to be flogging yourself to death in the gym every day. For example, today I have been in the gym pushing weights for half an hour (not power lifting, just high reps low weight), I jogged 3 miles home from work and on the way into work I got off the bus some stops early and walked for half an hour. MFP tells me that was worth 814 calories total. Other days I might swim or go for a very long walk with the kids. Or do a lot of other Non Exercise Activity; trying to keep to 10k steps a day is good and MFP has a step counter I believe. I'm not exhausted and I have had plenty to eat today. On that subject, most of what I'm eating at the moment is either meat, fish vegetables and eggs with some occasional nuts and some protein shakes when I've done a big work out like 6.5 mile run on Sunday, to aid recovery.

My so called water weight does not change as I drink plenty and I work all the major muscle groups to retain my lean mass ( I keep an eye on both). Your muscles are made up of quite a bit of water and when you lose lean mass its this water and some muscle fibre that is lost. If you take steps to avoid this, then what you're losing is not water weight. It's hard but it can be done.

On the subject of sustainability. The speed at which you lose weight has very little to do whether you keep it off, from a point of view of how your body metabolises various fuel sources. If you crash diet/starvation diet, it's highly likely that you are not losing just fat but lean body mass as well (muscle etc). As soon as you start eating half way sensibly the body simply repairs the muscle and other lean mass it may have used, which includes a fair degree of water. If you do it the way I mentioned above, involving some gym work, high protein and eating right then that factor is taken out. There is the factor that starving yourself causes your metabolic rate to slow (how your body uses fuel to keep you alive). Again, if you're eating right, exercising and not skipping food, this shouldn't be an issue.

The other reason is, that it's no good if you go right back to the eating habits that got you overweight in the first place. But no one denies that. Once I finish my 28 Day programme I will ease some carbs back into my diet and ease up on the exercise a bit. If I find I am gaining more than a few pounds I go back on a week of maintainance. If I have more weight to lose, I take a break for a week eating sensibly but up to 2500 a day and light exercise and then start again. In these week breaks, I have not gained any weight and the second 28 days has been as effective as the first.

It's definitely easier to change your diet and exercise lifestyle first to what you plan to make it long term and see the weight come off slowly but that doesn't mean it's the only way.

You will need to so a degree of planning both meal planning, activity planning (which resulted in me buying a small amount of equipment and apps etc) and some discipline but I have been able to do this for 28 day stretches before and lost anywhere between 12 and 20 pounds in that time with no ill effects that I could see. I've done this three times now. My need for this is that I play a lot of sport and when I got a couple of major injuries (broken leg etc) I have put on quite a bit of weight. There's no real reason to do it this way rather than slow and steady, I just like to get back to what I call my fighting weight as quickly as possible. Some people have said to me that it's best to get it over with as soon as possible but it is not a matter of 'over', you need to permanently change the habits that got you overweight in the first place.

A lot of posters have referenced water weight. I think I have covered this if I have understood the term correctly. I don't disagree with anything that's been said and its a thin window but you can lose weight quickly and ensure most if not all is fat if you maintain LBM. If anything my LBM goes up slightly during these 28 day sessions. I imagine people will say it's not possible, but I've done it 3 times now. Also, think of all those Biggest Loser programmes on TV, those guys are losing over a pound a DAY for a six month period or longer, and they are looked after by a team of dieticians and exercise experts so are making sure the LBM is protected and sufficient nutrition is being taken on, and that can't be water weight, it's just not possible.

So in summary, definitely possible to do safely and in a sustainable way BUT it takes 28 days of will power, careful planning, being no stranger to exercise, pushing weights and activity and discipline.

Good luck!

I think I agree with all of this.

I see a lot of people say that if you lose fast you will gain it back. That is true for a large %. It is also true that a lot of people who lose slowly also gain it back. You see, most dieters fails (gain back some or all the weight). I spent some time reading articles on the internet about it. To me, it all boils down to the individual. I also don't think that losing 2lbs a week results in misery. It depends on the person. Does it require a lot of planning and counting to make sure my macros are correct and I'm not exceeding my goal? Yes. But so will maintenance. Maintenance is the hardest part, in my opinion and always where I went wrong. And it wasn't because I felt deprived from being on a "diet". It was because I got sloppy and happy with being small and took my foot off the pedal. I don't feel deprived because I am limiting my calories and avoiding high calorie foods. I feel empowered and in control. I'm comforted by the fact that I am in control of my weight and what happens from this day forward. And I'm very aware that the choice I have made (and will make again) will determine whether I keep the weight off or have to do this all over again.
  • rosebette wrote: »
    The thing is, James..., (don't want to quote your big post) but you are a male, probably with a larger body mass than the OP. She is female and now at 140. We don't know what her stats are, but unless she is petite, she is fairly close to normal weight. She is not like one of the candidates on World's Biggest Loser. She probably saw a good loss the first month due to loss of water weight, rev'd metabolism due to adopting exercise routine, and she is eating at a deficit. As she approaches a weight that is in the healthy range for her body, she's not going to lose at that level. My advice is for her to keep doing what she's doing now, which is a healthy way to lose, and see where she is in a month.

I don't disagree. She almost certainly has lost some Lean Body Mass. And the biggest loser example was to demonstrate what is possible at the extremes; forget 10 pounds a month, these guys are shedding 30+ pounds a month. Just because they start big doesn't take from the fact that they are ploughing through those reserves. Biochemically, their bodies are not metabolising fat three times faster than someone who is 20-30 pounds overweight. As you approach an optimum weight, it does slow up as your body metabolises fat stores slightly less like someone getting to the end of a milkshake, but if you are maintaining LBM it shouldn't be significant.

I'm saying that, yes whilst I can burn more calories because I have a bigger physique, even if she burns half that she can still lose upwards of 6-10 pounds a month if she is taking care of LBM. She would lose it for different reasons than the first month but all I'm saying is that it's possible, I'm not recommending it. It works for me, but maybe not everyone. My wife lost 12 pounds the first month a 14 the second after she had our last child once she'd stopped breastfeeding, taking the same approach as me, but a friend of mine tried it and was miserable for 7 days and quit, saying that he just didn't have the time to plan it all.

I guess the only thing I'm saying really is, look after the LBM, take regular exercise and activity and then if you get stellar results, you'll know that it's mostly the spare tyre round the waist that's going and not the tone in your figure.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    It's easier at the beginning. I've lost about 10 pounds since January 10. But I think it's best to just see what happens and not have expectations--that way you can be pleasantly surprised but you never have to be disappointed.