Let's talk foam rollers...

Options
So I've been thinking of investing in a foam roller, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    They are pretty basic... some are more firm than others, some are smooth while others have ridges/bumps/fingers.

I have both a smooth one and a fingered one and they both have benefits. Ultimately, just make sure it's not to soft.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the rumble roller. I also use the lacross-balls-in-a-sock trick, or the barbell in a rack.
  • KiwipowaRoo
    KiwipowaRoo Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Rubber bouncy ball and a good quality foam roller here. Love them
  • mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I just have a really basic, firm /smooth roller. It is the best thing I have found to help my quad and ITB's happy. I have not tried anything with the bumps/ridges but I do wonder whether they might be more of a marketing ploy..... no evidence just my suspicion.

I think as long as it is marketed as a recovery tool rather than a yoga one it should be firm enough to do the job.
  • Kristyann624
    Kristyann624 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Is the rumble roller just a way more instense roller? And is a 12" what I'm looking for?
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    5 and below has a $5 12" foam roller. If you just want to try one, can't be beat.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Is the rumble roller just a way more instense roller? And is a 12" what I'm looking for?

Yes, it's a pretty intense foam roller. I have one and it's great.

12" is fine for some things, but you'll likely want something wider for your back and doing both legs simultaneously.

I think mine are 30 and 36" wide.