Heavy Lifting after Mirena

Options
I had Mirena put in on Fri, 1/27. I had mild tummy/back cramps, spotting but was ok by Sat - no cramps or spotting. So I did a few 30 sec sprints on Sat as I felt normal. Did not have any issues. So on Sun I did my lifting workout which included barbell deadlifts/rows in the 10-12 range. But after a couple of hours I started having mild tummy/back cramps and very mild spotting.

Its nothing serious, but I am wondering if I started lifting too soon. Please share your experience/advice regarding how long should I wait to start heavy lifting again?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I had mine implanted on a Wednesday, and then headed out of town, so I lifted next I think on the following Tuesday. Besides some minor cramping the day it was implanted I had no issues. I specifically asked my doctor, and she only suggested taking 48 hours off from exercise.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I had mine implanted on a Wednesday, and then headed out of town, so I lifted next I think on the following Tuesday. Besides some minor cramping the day it was implanted I had no issues. I specifically asked my doctor, and she only suggested taking 48 hours off from exercise.

Thanks, I might also take a few days off and do bodyweight workouts.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Also, my doctor mentioned that you can have cramping and spotting for up to six months after having it implanted (unrelated to anything but the device). She had one implanted, no one told her that, and she had daily cramping for the entire 6 months, then it stopped. I'm super excited I have not had that issue.

Basically, your symptoms are likely completely unrelated to lifting.
  • 989runner
    989runner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So glad I read this! I am having one placed this month.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Also, my doctor mentioned that you can have cramping and spotting for up to six months after having it implanted (unrelated to anything but the device). She had one implanted, no one told her that, and she had daily cramping for the entire 6 months, then it stopped. I'm super excited I have not had that issue.

Basically, your symptoms are likely completely unrelated to lifting.

I would like to think so, but I still feel that heavy lifting puts stress on the tummy, uterus areas and that caused the sudden cramps. Anyways, I will take a few days break and try lifting again to see if i get the same cramps.

• alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Totally normal side effect of mirena. Lifting was a coincidence. Lift away.