Why Do You Struggle?

Options
2»

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Listing reasons why you struggle doesn't really help unless you have an action plan. What are you going to do to overcome that struggle? Do you need to work treats into your week/find something to do with your hands/leave more calories for the evening?
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Never struggled with motivation thankfully:-) I seem to thrive on routine so as long as I have a workout schedule in place I won't break it.... Even if that means running in snow storms or working out at silly hours.

It also helps that I actually love working out. I run 3 times a week and am always looking forward to my next run..... Runners high is amazing and addictive lol The other 3 days I do Focus T25 and Max 30 which I equally enjoy.

Seeing your body transform also helps. Watching your once big beer belly melt and your Abs start to show through is great! Or running that little bit further.

Shaun.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I struggle with time and eating and inclination
    I know for a fact that other awesome people survive this way so I'm not crying poor me, but this is where I have trouble
    My issue :
    I have three kids 13, 6 and 2
    My husband works away and I have no family to leave them with.
    I work stupid hours 6am-2pm or 2pm-10pm
    I try to go to the gym either before or after work depending on the shift. But it's hard finding the motivation after an 8 hour shift that involves lots of heavy lifting, pushing, pulling etc

As for food, I do try to eat healthy. We're doing better every day. Each shop we get healthier and more nutritious food.

• celticlass69
    celticlass69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I struggle because adopting a new lifestyle is work. However, I'm enjoying it and actually trying to find new ways to think, act, etc. Rather than looking this as restrictions or rules I am choosing to look at it as opportunities and options. Now if you ask my husband he'd say I'm a pessimist but in this case I'm not. I'm trying new things, ie. snap peas as a snack, interspersing calesthenics with dancing (my own way). So a struggle? Yes, but an attainable lifestyle.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I struggle because nowadays what used to be a rare treat is available to me (and everyone) on a daily basis. Donuts are brought into work almost daily, cakes, cupcakes often, then you have parties, weddings, birthdays, family and church gatherings, the list goes on. So much good and fattening food almost daily makes it difficult at times to stay on track, and not that I'm not a believer in eating what I like in smaller portions, but sometimes it's hard to keep the portions small or say no if I'm at my calorie limit for the day (although sometimes it motivates me to exercise more lol). So I think that will be the hardest when it comes time to maintain, just all of the food around me. I do think I will keep up with the exercise routine no matter what, but the large supply of food is both a blessing and a curse.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    @TrailBlazerMN At some stage I started believing my PT (who is also my sister). She would give me an exercise and I would do it, I figured she knows what I'm capable of because it's her job and she knows me better than anyone else. Instead of fighting her advice (and wishing for an easy option) I began accepting it. Eventually I began pushing myself and relied on her less and I suppose that's when I realised I had been making excuses.
  • KindaSortaKaty
    KindaSortaKaty Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I struggle getting a workout in because I have a very needy 5 month old
    I struggle not snacking because breastfeeding makes me hungry
    I struggle not eating the things my husband can eat and he stays thin.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    For me it takes effort being mindful. eating endless amounts of food and sitting on the sofa is easy. I was happy then and I am happy now. Difference is I do not get out of breath so easily and I have more choice of clothes Why do you assume people are not happy?
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    i like food and would rather play video games than exercise.

i don't think i'm struggling, tbh. but i'm also not trying very hard.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This may be a weird reason to struggle, but I often struggle to keep at it because it no longer feels urgent. I've rarely had self-esteem issues with my weight even as a 300+ woman. What prompted me to lose weight was not being fit enough to even walk, and discovering I had pre-diabetes 2-3 points shy of being considered officially diabetic.

Now I've lost quite a bit, can run, and my blood sugar is in the normal range, so my motivation was reduced from saving my life to having clothes be more readily available in my size. This is why my progress has been very slow with lots of maintenance time in between losses. It just doesn't feel like an urgent thing to do anymore, but something I do every once in a while when I feel like it. Who cares, though. A step forward is a step forward. I have gotten really good with maintaining with zero struggle, so even if I don't lose as often as I used to I will eventually get there.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This may be a weird reason to struggle, but I often struggle to keep at it because it no longer feels urgent. I've rarely had self-esteem issues with my weight even as a 300+ woman. What prompted me to lose weight was not being fit enough to even walk, and discovering I had pre-diabetes 2-3 points shy of being considered officially diabetic.

Now I've lost quite a bit, can run, and my blood sugar is in the normal range, so my motivation was reduced from saving my life to having clothes be more readily available in my size. This is why my progress has been very slow with lots of maintenance time in between losses. It just doesn't feel like an urgent thing to do anymore, but something I do every once in a while when I feel like it.

I kind of understand this, but my reasons are very different. I lost weight because I didnt want to be the largest out of the mums on holiday. I only wanted to get from Uk size 18 to a size 14 and that would be acceptable. I can now wear a size 12 and some 10's. So sometimes I cant be bothered anymore. What slaps me awake is because I dont want to put the weight back on.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I struggle because I see others succeeding where I'm failing and I know I'm doing the best I can. I have PCOS, hypothyroidism, and insulin resistance so weight loss is a battle. I am using none of these as an excuse, I take medication for what I can, I get regular bloodwork done, I see my endocrinologist regularly, I eat from a meal plan provided by a registered dietician (I went to one through my health insurance), and I work out with a good mix of strength and cardio.... In 14 months I lost 10 lbs and I had to fight to lose every last one of them. In the same amount of time I have friends/coworkers that have dropped 20, 30, 40 lbs (and kept it off... I am starting to gain so I suspect that I will have a medication change come next visit to the doc).

It gets frustrating to work so hard and see so little result (and then have it turn on you: those 10 lbs I lost in 14 months, I gained 6 back in one... no change in food/exercise) and have people around you do less than you do and lose significantly more. I've even had some of them say to me they can't figure out how it is that I eat healthier than they do, work out more/harder than they do and yet I don't lose weight. I have days, I admit, I just want to give up, but I keep reminding myself this is about the fight of my life now, not about how I'll look in a smaller size (works sometimes, but not all of the time)
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Fear of Injury.

I have issues with my feet and my core is not up to snuff. I am so much better than I was last yr but I had a medical issue 6 months ago and was not able to workout and now I have to rebuild myself back up. It sucks.

Walking/running is no longer in the cards for me, so I have to have an action plan for strength training and I am reading up on it to try and develop a proper workout. It is not easy to come up with a comprehensive plan.