Artichoke Hearts

Options
JordisTSM
JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
Hi everyone!

So, I've never had artichoke hearts before, they're not very common here (New Zealand), but I bought some the other day because I've always wanted to try them.

Would love some suggestions on how to cook them, and what flavours work best.

Thankies :smile:

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have fresh, canned or frozen artichoke hearts? But artichoke hearts are great with spinach in creamy dips, soups or pasta sauces. Also delicious in red pasta sauces. You can marinate them in Italian dressing and include them in a salad or antipasti platter. If you have fresh you can steam them and serve with a dip.They can be roasted or grilled just drizzle with a little olive oil. I hope this helps a little.
  • JordisTSM
    Options
    Hi!
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. They're canned, so I think I will just roast with olive oil so I can try them without them being overwhelmed by any other flavours. Then maybe incorporate with other stuff.
    Thanks!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If they are canned, it's likely they are already cooked. I like to eat em straight from the can, or on pizza.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I love them in a salad.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    They are great in salad or in pasta as well. Last night I made a delicious pasta dish with sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts and hot italian sausage. So delicious!
  • TwistedFlowers
    Options
    Mmm, love them - basically anything that needs a little acidic salty flavour - Generally things that are creamy/fatty.
  • terrilee54
    Options
    They are Wonderful with sliced green peppers and sliced onions baked in the oven drizzled with a couple tbsp olive oil and Mrs. Dash sprinkled on top.... Try different Mrs. dash flavors for a variety of different tastes! Yummmmm.....
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    They are good in pasta and salads or on pizza. You can also make an artichoke dip and use cucumber slices, pita chips or bread to dip with.
  • JordisTSM
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! Lots of fabulous ideas to try. :smile:
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I often use them in a couscous or pasta salad with sundried tomatoes and pesto, or in a regular salad.