Running my first half..any advice?

Options
Hi all,

I'm running my first half marathon in a couple weeks and I'm very nervous. I feel like I'm going to be so slow and come in last! Ive been training but i feel like it hasnt been enough. Does anyone have any good tips for having a successful race? Much appreciated :)

Replies

• fitmama2e
    fitmama2e Posts: 19
    Options
    Don't start out too fast. Its tempting with everyone taking off from the start, but if you start your run like you do any other training run you will still be going strong by the end. Also race for you, it doesn't matter if you are first or last, if you had enough courage to sign up and show up then that's a success.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    This probably won't be all that helpful to hear, but don't worry about your time. I'm SO SLOW, but am so proud to be out there doing it. Maybe someday my times will get better, but I doubt it. I think I'll just always be a slow runner. It's your first one, so don't pressure yourself. What if you are last? Who cares? Only you. Everyone else will be happy for you and proud of your perseverance. Good luck!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Don't start out too fast. Its tempting with everyone taking off from the start, but if you start your run like you do any other training run you will still be going strong by the end. Also race for you, it doesn't matter if you are first or last, if you had enough courage to sign up and show up then that's a success.

I agree with this ^^^^

In my first half I thought I'd come last but I beat like 750 out of the 900+ field. Enjoy it, the atmosphere is infectious
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Run at your own pace. In a race it is very eay to get carried a way and run faster than you have trained and then all of a sudden you are hitting the brick wall. You will run quicker than you anticipate as that is natural in race situations, but you should find that it is a comfortable speed.

Most of all enjoy the race. As this is your first, the idea is to finish. For the next one worry about the speed. Lots of luck.
  • mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Any tips on what to eat the day before? Also should i run the day before? I plan to have my last long run the weekend before as I can only run long distances on weekends. Please let me know!
  • xgirl451
    xgirl451 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Eat things tht have carbs and protein but low fat. I recommend that you eat a light dinner. "Carb Load" at lunch. Two to three hours before the race, I'll have a bagel.
  • kywh
    kywh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything the night before that might upset your stomach. Definitely eat something the morning of--you're gonna need that fuel!!!
    And, being slow is relative! You'll be much faster than everyone who didn't start!!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I didn't run the day before my halfs. The training program I was using really tapered off the week leading up to the race. Just a few light,easy runs but nothing the day before. As far as eating and everything else from clothes to pre run routines, keep everything just as you've done in the past. Don't do anything new that your body is not used to in the days leading up to a race. That advice has served me well.