been working so hard but weight is stuck?

Options
Ok ive been trying to follow the 5:2 diet and ive been doing 30 mins jogging 5-6 times a week on my treadmill at an average of speed 7 , this is week 3 and ive lost nothing :( the first week i lost 3lb but that went back in. Im so close to giving uo

Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    5:2 isn't a magic bullet, just a way of cutting calories with a bit more flexibility on your off days. However, it's possible you are overeating on the your other 5 days (I know as I was doing the same thing). Are you counting everything? Make sure you accurately measure your food even on the days you are not fasting.
  • kibuuka675
    kibuuka675 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply , i think i have been naughty with the wine to be honest :o but i dont normally go over 800-1000 cals on my normal days food wise ? Im hoping im just going through a blip :#
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Put the wine calories in there and you have two issues: One, you’re probably going far over (especially on your low cal days) and you’re not getting proper nutrition (our bodies compensate for times of famine and shut down functions to conserve energy/calories).

And the wine typically causes a blood sugar/insulin spike, which primes the body to store fat.

Commit to weight loss, then live that commitment.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. 1200 calories is pretty much the lowest anyone should be going. As mentioned, include everything in your food log. Wine calories add up fast.
  • kibuuka675
    Options
    Yes i deff think.the wine hasnt been helping , however its not affected my weightloss before , as soon as ive started jogging the scales havent moved ?
  • celticlass69
    celticlass69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. You are probably burning off fat and gaining muscle. Keep at it. Use your measurements as a better indicator. Trust me It'll show.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    3 weeks is nothing. Seriously, I had a plateau that lasted the entire month of September last year.

I would go back to tracking on MFP and forget about the 5:2 method.

Track everything you eat. If you are running 5 or 6 days a week add that into your daily needs for calories. Eat back half or less calories burned.

Weigh everything you put in your mouth. That includes your wine.

Your body is probably storing a lot of water weight right now and it will soon come off.

If you give up now, when it is time to restart you are going to have to do this all over and will lose the 3 weeks of hard work you already have invested.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. You are probably burning off fat and gaining muscle. Keep at it. Use your measurements as a better indicator. Trust me It'll show.

Unfortunately, that's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    kibuuka675 wrote: »
    Yes i deff think.the wine hasnt been helping , however its not affected my weightloss before , as soon as ive started jogging the scales havent moved ?

That sounds like water retention from the new exercise routine. Our bodies have a tendency to flood sore muscles with extra fluid to help cushion and repair them. It's not uncommon to see a stall or even a slight gain when you start a new exercise program and should even out in a couple of weeks.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Unfortunately, that's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

Truth.

Are you actually logging your food? Weighing/measuring it? Or are you just assuming the jogging will take care of everything?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply , i think i have been naughty with the wine to be honest :o but i dont normally go over 800-1000 cals on my normal days food wise ? Im hoping im just going through a blip :#

What are you eating on your fasting days then? :o

If you aren't losing or are gaining weight, then you aren't in a calorie deficit. It's that simple. Starting measuring all liquids and weighing all solids (and using accurate diary entries) to figure out if you are in a deficit or not.
  • kibuuka675
    Options
    Tbh i today (fasting day) ive had a bannna and 1 ryvita with marmite so far and 3 big glasses of very weak sugar free squash and two cups of coffee
  • kibuuka675
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

If you aren't losing or are gaining weight, then you aren't in a calorie deficit. It's that simple. Starting measuring all liquids and weighing all solids (and using accurate diary entries) to figure out if you are in a deficit or not.

Whats defecit?
  • Dancetherapist
    Dancetherapist Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you're not eating enough to keep your body nourished. I don't know anything about the 5:2 diet but it sounds miserable!
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    cmuzzi617 wrote: »
    It sounds to me like you're not eating enough to keep your body nourished. I don't know anything about the 5:2 diet but it sounds miserable!

The 5:2 diet really shouldn't be miserable, but it sounds as though the OP might not be implementing it correctly. Basically, there are two "fast days" with very low calories (usually around 600 calories for women) and then 5 "normal" days where you would eat to your maintenance needs. If the OP is really staying to 800-1000 calories every day, then they aren't 5:2 fasting.

• diannethegeek
    Options

Whats defecit?

A calorie deficit means that you're eating below your maintenance needs. Do you know how many calories you would be eating to maintain your current weight right now?

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Whats defecit?

A deficit is eating less than you need to maintain your weight. I think some of your posts about how many calories you eat per day are confusing people. It sounds like you eat 800-1000 calories on your "normal days", and less on your two fast days. That is not how the fast diet is supposed to work (eat at maintenance level for 5 days, fast at 500 calories for two days).

How many calories are you eating on normal days? How many calories are you eating on fast days? Are you accounting for exercise calories?

And with all that said, you may be retaining water due to a new exercise routine.
  • kibuuka675
    Options
    Just weighed lost 5lb :D must have been water
  • yansbans
    yansbans Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Between 4:49AM and 2:28PM you lost 5 pounds? And you should weigh at the same time everyday.
  • kibuuka675
    Options
    I dont like eating big meals as i feel so guilty after i dont know why my body isnt loosing it has to eventually? Even if im eating under ?