Weight loss flow chart- feedback needed!

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I had this idea a little while ago since there are always so many people on here asking why they're having trouble losing weight. I'm working on a flow chart that might help some of these people pinpoint the problem. I was hoping that some of the more knowledgeable MFP-ers could have a look and give me some feedback? I'm sure there are some areas that could be more concise and helpful, or perhaps things I might have missed! Hopefully this could become something of use to people around here, and I haven't seen anything like it made before (though please let me know if something like this already exists, haha).

It's a bit of a rough draft at the moment. If anyone is keen on collaborating let me know and I can share it on google docs, also if anyone is good at graphics-y stuff and wants to help me make it all pretty that would be cool too! :)

guue2jpr1xe7.jpg

What a great idea. Maybe after you finalize it they can make it a sticky so everyone sees it.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I had this idea a little while ago since there are always so many people on here asking why they're having trouble losing weight. I'm working on a flow chart that might help some of these people pinpoint the problem. I was hoping that some of the more knowledgeable MFP-ers could have a look and give me some feedback? I'm sure there are some areas that could be more concise and helpful, or perhaps things I might have missed! Hopefully this could become something of use to people around here, and I haven't seen anything like it made before (though please let me know if something like this already exists, haha).

It's a bit of a rough draft at the moment. If anyone is keen on collaborating let me know and I can share it on google docs, also if anyone is good at graphics-y stuff and wants to help me make it all pretty that would be cool too! :)

guue2jpr1xe7.jpg

What a great idea. Maybe after you finalize it they can make it a sticky so everyone sees it.

Thanks! I was hoping for it to be something people can post when someone makes one of those "I can't lose weight" posts. I will put up the final product when it is done though, sticky-ness is up to the moderators I think!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    This is pretty good. From a design perspective, you need to have more consistent decision boxes (yes/no) for each option.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Also, how about changes in sleep? Changes in non-exercise activity level (e.g. going from an active to a more sedentary job)? Stress? Heck, even weighing in at various times of the day instead of a consistent time of day can make it seem like you're not losing weight.

But yeah, for most people they're probably underestimating their food or overestimating their exercise burns (or both).
  • Patrice120
    Patrice120 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think this is great. Only thing I'd add is something about sodium on a short term basis will cause the scale to go up. People don't realize how much sodium is in certain foods that don't even taste salty. I'd recommend people drink more water to flush the sodium.
  • lemonlionheart
    Options
    Patrice120 wrote: »
    I think this is great. Only thing I'd add is something about sodium on a short term basis will cause the scale to go up. People don't realize how much sodium is in certain foods that don't even taste salty. I'd recommend people drink more water to flush the sodium.

I think what I'm going to do is just put 'it hasn't been long enough, give it more time' for the 'less than 3 weeks' response, then list a few reasons why scale results might not be happening in the short term e.g. TOM, ovulation, water retention from exercise, water retention from sodium, food in the system. Thanks for the feedback! :)
  • Patrice120
    Patrice120 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like the exercise part broken out because it's good for people to know that they may retain water when they first start exercising...instead of thinking they are gaining muscle which is a common misconception.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Do you mean it to say most people overestimate their calorie intake - I thought it should be underestimate?
  • lemonlionheart
    Options
    radmack wrote: »
    Do you mean it to say most people overestimate their calorie intake - I thought it should be underestimate?

Yep somebody above has pointed that out- I drafted this at midnight last night so it was a bit rough! :)
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    radmack wrote: »

Yep somebody above has pointed that out- I drafted this at midnight last night so it was a bit rough! :)

B)

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    On the heart rate monitor bit - might want to mention those are only good for steady state cardio. No bueno for weight lifting, HIIT, etc. Plus they are still just estimating.

And on the < 3wks section, I'd put in a step to double check logging and make sure that's buttoned up. No reason to wait 4 wks to do that.
  • lemonlionheart
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    On the heart rate monitor bit - might want to mention those are only good for steady state cardio. No bueno for weight lifting, HIIT, etc. Plus they are still just estimating.

And on the < 3wks section, I'd put in a step to double check logging and make sure that's buttoned up. No reason to wait 4 wks to do that.

Good point, but I feel like I should make it as concise as possible, and I think most people who read it will probably read the whole thing anyway so they'll see the stuff about accurate logging! :)
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    that was awesome. I'd maybe add in a note that HRM are very inaccurate for caloric burn as well unless you are only using them for steady state cardio. And an arrow from "i am logging accurately" to "well, actually, you probably aren't."
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    that was awesome. I'd maybe add in a note that HRM are very inaccurate for caloric burn as well unless you are only using them for steady state cardio. And an arrow from "i am logging accurately" to "well, actually, you probably aren't."

Yes, it is scary the number of people who will leave it running after their workout and think that the number is accurate. I forgot to turn mine off during an event this weekend. I worked out while my daughter was warming up for her first race, burned 350 calories, then forgot to pause it. By the time I got back in the gym a while later, it was showing 780 calories burned. I did not burn 400+ calories sitting on my butt in the bleachers! :D or I would have wasted away to nothing by now :p
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    People have already mentioned the few comments I have, but I just want to say that this is a fabulous idea and looks really good.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Other than what has been mentioned you could put in after Have your been to the Doctor? No - go to the Doctor and Yes - I have a diagnosed medical reason why it's difficult for me to lose weight with a link to "you may want to consider speaking to a registered dietician about a suitable calorie and macro intake for weightloss"
  • lemonlionheart
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    Other than what has been mentioned you could put in after Have your been to the Doctor? No - go to the Doctor and Yes - I have a diagnosed medical reason why it's difficult for me to lose weight with a link to "you may want to consider speaking to a registered dietician about a suitable calorie and macro intake for weightloss"

Good idea!
  • mtsang1981
    Options
    Taken yours, simplified it a bit, incorporated everyone's feedback and added a few of my own.

f01j95b9f1df.png
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    A flow chart would be awesome and effective for those used to using them and pointless to those that will get glazed over eyes just looking at it.

Personally I like it.
  • lemonlionheart
    Options
    mtsang1981 wrote: »
    Taken yours, simplified it a bit, incorporated everyone's feedback and added a few of my own.

f01j95b9f1df.png

Awesome! I just downloaded a flowchart-maker program and am still quite keen to have a crack at it myself, but people are welcome to use your version also :)