Should I invest in a scale?

Options
I've been logging my food for the past few days, but I've been winging the grams.
Since I want every entry from now on to be right,
  1. What would be advisable- with or without a scale?
  2. Is there a way to properly estimate grams without having a scale?
  3. If so, whats the best way to measure your food the digital or the analog kitchen scales?

Replies

• Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    it is really worth it to do it. I couldn't believe how off I was with foods. For something like carrots (low cal) it really isn't a huge deal to be off, but I have noticed with higher cal foods (peanut butter, chocolate, creamer, meats, pasta) there was a HUGE difference in calories between what I estimated and what I weighed. Since the latter are calorically dense, being off by even a small amount can have a large impact.

I use a digital scale. I don't have great vision, so it's easier to read.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    1. If that level of accuracy is your concern then I think you have answered your own question
    2. Not that I know of. Measuring will give you a rough estimate
    3. I do not have experience with either, but I'd opt for the digital - less of a chance for parallax interfering with your readings. A scale's accuracy will depend on how finely calibrated it is. I am sure you can google that and compare between models.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    YES a scale is a HUGE eye opener. And they are inexpensive.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Digital over analog, much more convenient and accurate. There's no way to estimate that's universal, because there are too many variables between ingredients and in how you prepare them each time. Cutting carrots a little larger or smaller changes how many fit in a cup, and the cup would be a guess to begin with.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Get digital but get one that measures weight as well as volume (in metric and uhm what the US uses lol)
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Digital is more accurate, and easier to read. I definitely recommend getting a food scale, it makes calorie-counting life so much easier. As an example, without my food scale I'd have to fill a measuring spoon with cream cheese, scrape it out, then do it again for the second half, and I'd probably be off by about 15 g (one full serving). With a scale, I just throw my bagel on, shmear, see weight, eat, mmmm.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I found it a really helpful tool, and I am pretty good at eyeballing. And yeah, digital is so easy a five year old could use it. Run with that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    Get digital but get one that measures weight as well as volume (in metric and uhm what the US uses lol)

Mine measures in volume, and it's a total joke. That's what measuring spoons and cups are for.

But yes, totally worth it. Just put the plate on the scale, hit the tare button between each food, and enter the number. So easy to use.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Mine measures volume as well and I don't quite understand that. How do scales measure volume; is that even possible? I just use measuring cups and spoons for that as well.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    give up if you don't have a scale.

As for question number 2 from the OP:
    Yes, it comes from years of using a scale and feeling that particular weight.

I'm fairly accurate up to about 150 grams, but I would still use a scale.
  • girlchemist1
    girlchemist1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A scale is very helpful.

Also, for most liquid things people drink (almond milk, milk, juice), most have a density about the same as water so that is 1 g per mL (ie. 250 mL for cup of water would weigh 250g). I have used that when I was pouring milk on my cereal.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    fyi, on saturday I watched a guy drinking honey right from the bear.
  • vilepixie
    vilepixie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Scales and measuring cups are something that you need. Many times i've found that I had been greatly underestimating or overestimating, and of course that messes up any calorie counting.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'll vote for digital too. I had an analog scale and was never sure how accurate it was. The digital scales can be purchased for less than $20 on Amazon. Definitely worth every penny.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I could not do it without my scale. I have a digital one and I weigh everything. Worth the $20.00 I paid for it.
  • godilup
    godilup Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, thank you for everyone who replied. I'm very very new to all of this, and I really appreciate all your help! I'll research and buy a digital scale first thing tomorrow. Again thank you all very much :smiley:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I lost the bulk of my weight without a food scale, so I know that it can be done. But the margin of error between weighing and measuring became a problem as I got closer to my goal. My food scale has been a big help.

I tend to find my food scale easier to use than measuring cups and spoons and I have fewer dishes to clean up after I cook. Also, who doesn't want to feel like a mad scientist while they're cooking?

Useful links to anyone lurking who wants more info on logging accurately:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1290491/how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just because the jar says a serving is 1 Tbsp doesn't mean 1 Tbsp is actually accurate. Typically I find it's a few grams over, and while that's not a huge deal if you're doing that with all food every day it will start adding up. Not even the scoop on my protein powder is accurate. It's a solid 10g over every scoop. :neutral_face: