Does anyone not buy "lower-calorie" options?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    fbmandy55 wrote: »
    I've said this before but I will say it again. I think a lot of women of a certain generation were taught that if something is high in fat, it will make you fat. I believe it was in the 90's, I was a little kid and I remember a huge trend of everything being low fat and my mom only buying low fat cheese, cottage cheese, dressings, etc.

Fat doesn't make you fat. It's essential for your body to function properly.

Yep and I remember Susan Powter and her infomercials: STOP THE INSANITY! I found that going low fat to lose weight caused me to shed a lot of hair and I always wondered if that is why she had that buzz cut. Fat was the demon in the 80's and 90's and now it is sugar that is the fat causing demon.

The real "insanity" is thinking that something other than too many calories in general is what is causing you to gain weight.

• kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Veggies are low calorie so not all low cal foods are bad :smiley:

I buy 2% for my kids but I use Almond and Coconut Milk in my cereal and smoothies. I think that eating healthy should be the most important factor in your diet. You're not going to gain weight because you consumed 200 calories from whole milk vs 200 calories from skim milk. 200 calories is 200 calories just like 10 lbs of feathers weighs the same as 10 lbs of stone. As long as you're at a big enough net loss at the end of the week then you should see results.

You will see some people say it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stay under your calorie goals. IMO Garbage in = garbage out. I don't believe that it's okay to eat Twinkies and Ding Dongs all day every day as long as you're at a net loss. I throw in cheat days because I love pizza and wings and we should allow ourselves time off for good behavior from time to time to keep our sanity but in the long run eating healthy should be a normal part of our lifestyle and not just a quick weight loss fix.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    I do if it doesn't affect the taste too much. I buy "light" yogurt and drink skim milk or almond milk. I tried reduced-fat cream cheese once and thought I had accidentally bought plumber's putty or something. Let's say this, I don't sacrifice taste but I cut calories where I can so that I can use them elsewhere (fat-free milk means full fat ice cream).

That is exactly how I think! Fat free yogurt (which I like) means more full fat cheese (which I LOVE <3 )

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    fbmandy55 wrote: »
    I've said this before but I will say it again. I think a lot of women of a certain generation were taught that if something is high in fat, it will make you fat. I believe it was in the 90's, I was a little kid and I remember a huge trend of everything being low fat and my mom only buying low fat cheese, cottage cheese, dressings, etc.

Fat doesn't make you fat. It's essential for your body to function properly.

Yep and I remember Susan Powter and her infomercials: STOP THE INSANITY! I found that going low fat to lose weight caused me to shed a lot of hair and I always wondered if that is why she had that buzz cut. Fat was the demon in the 80's and 90's and now it is sugar that is the fat causing demon.

The real "insanity" is thinking that something other than too many calories in general is what is causing you to gain weight.

Susan Powter! :s
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I prefer low fat mayo, diet fizzy drinks, and like skimmed milk in lattes/hot chocolates, but other than that, I think the full fat/sugar version is tastier and better, even if it means having less of it or less often. My mum buys lower fat cheese which I find powdery and chalky, and it makes me sad.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I can't with low calorie foods, especially dairy. Full fat all the way.

The only thing I will do is diet soft drinks, but that's only because I have jacked up teeth and the full sugar ones give me toothache.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Real food cooked at home. My reference cookbooks are my 1968 copy of Joy of Cooking, original Moosewood Cookbook and Tasajara Bread Book. I would rather savor smaller amounts of good tasting food than larger amounts of plastic drek (excuse my Yiddish).
  • earlnabby
    Options

You will see some people say it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stay under your calorie goals. IMO Garbage in = garbage out. I don't believe that it's okay to eat Twinkies and Ding Dongs all day every day as long as you're at a net loss. I throw in cheat days because I love pizza and wings and we should allow ourselves time off for good behavior from time to time to keep our sanity but in the long run eating healthy should be a normal part of our lifestyle and not just a quick weight loss fix.

I have never seen anybody advocate eating nothing but Twinkies and Ding Dongs, but the idea is correct. You WILL lose weight no matter what you eat as long as you stay under in calories. People bring up the idea of Twinkies all day to illustrate the point that HOW MANY calories you eat determines your weight. The NUTRITIONAL MAKE-UP of those calories determines health.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Most of what I eat doesn't have a low calorie version. The few things that do i still buy the full version. I even switched to eating the full fat greek yogurt.
  • yesimpson
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Most of what I eat doesn't have a low calorie version. The few things that do i still buy the full version. I even switched to eating the full fat greek yogurt.

I think full fat yogurt is a perfect example of something which is a million miles better than the low-cal/low-fat version. It just doesn't compare for taste, texture, or how much it fills you up. I can get really excited about full fat greek yogurt, especially if it's coconut or honey flavour.

• JenniDaisy
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »

I think full fat yogurt is a perfect example of something which is a million miles better than the low-cal/low-fat version. It just doesn't compare for taste, texture, or how much it fills you up. I can get really excited about full fat greek yogurt, especially if it's coconut or honey flavour.

Coconut greek yogurt :heart_eyes: Where do you find such treasure?
  • JennBussa
    Options
    We do NOT buy "low fat" "fat free" or "sugar free".... It may have no/less fat/calories, but it has added "stuff" to. Just nasty chemicals are body doesn't need.
  • Artsyesque
    Artsyesque Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat a "plant-heavy" diet and just watch my portions. That way I can still enjoy my food while being aware of what and how much I am eating. I'm also breastfeeding so I'm not being strict on myself so my milk supply doesnt suffer. I also cook most things from scratch.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I had the same exact experience when I was younger--my mom and I were on WW when I was a teenager and all we ate was gross low fat stuff (low fat cream cheese being the worst). That's when I developed my eating disorder. It took me forever to realize that it was much better off eating what I wanted--and if that was full fat, well, good for me. I found, actually, that I need to eat a higher fat diet to remain satiated, so whole milk and things like that help me from overeating, because I'm digesting them slower. I say don't worry. Doing some low fat, of course, is just fine. Lots of people on here are fine with skim milk, etc. I'm just speaking for myself--I found "regular" food the best for me and has helped my ED stay in remission.
  • yesimpson
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »

If you live in the UK, a company called Rachel's has brought this delight into our lives:
    http://www.rachelsorganic.co.uk/range/big-pots/greek-style-coconut

It's in most big supermarkets here. If you're not in the UK, I'm sorry for rubbing it in your face!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Oops. Guess I didn't lose 25+lbs eating "junk food" almost daily, sometimes multiple times a day.

I don't do cheat days becauseI can have a slice of pizza every day if I want because CICO. and no one eats solely Twinkies and Ding Dongs and wings and pizza etc all day every day. This is the lamest argument that anti-"junk food" people throw out: the assumption that if you eat "bad" food, it's eaten 24/7.

"Healthy" is determined by context, not by the individual item consumed.

giphy.gif
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

I've never noticed a difference in taste between 0, 2%, and full-fat greek. I buy 2% because I prefer the lower cal option while cutting so I can fill the bowl up with fruit too.
  • JenniDaisy
    edited February 2015
    Options

If you live in the UK, a company called Rachel's has brought this delight into our lives:

It's in most big supermarkets here. If you're not in the UK, I'm sorry for rubbing it in your face!

I was hoping you were in the UK! You're making my dreams come true :grin:

Edited to add: I've just looked online and it's on offer in Sainsbury's!
  • yesimpson
    Options

I was hoping you were in the UK! You're making my dreams come true :grin:

Edited to add: I've just looked online and it's on offer in Sainsbury's!

Glad to be of use! Enjoy!
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with eating food for pleasure, and that low-fat products could equally well be called high-sugar, low-pleasure products (wouldn't sell so well, though, I bet). The only thing I do on low-calorie products is that I don't like drinking calories because I don't trust those calories to make me feel full, so I use semi-skimmed milk because skimmed milk is disgusting, and I drink sugar-free drinks when I'm not on the water.

You definitely shouldn't waste your money on the nasty processed foods that label themselves as "low fat", but when it comes to luxury foods I don't skimp on quality, even if that means I have a reduced quantity. I find that desserts are more satisfying if they are just the best, rather than eating a whole plate of cheap or low fat dessert and never quite feeling "done".