Weight Watchers Superbowl Commercial

Options
2»

Replies

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options

Basically, I thought it was saying, "It's not the food's fault. It's your fault for not being able to say no. Get it together."

Yes, I agree. The end was TAKE CONTROL.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bronzeambition
    bronzeambition Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Let's say that food addiction is a real thing. That does not mean that all people who are overweight have an addiction to food. If a person truly has that addiction, Weight Watchers is most likely not gong to be enough assistance for that person. People need to lean to stop misplacing the blame and take responsibility for their actions.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LOL- watched the whole game- and didn't see this commercial.

I found it odd. But I wasn't inspired enough to go look it up on the tube of you.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Let's say that food addiction is a real thing. That does not mean that all people who are overweight have an addiction to food. If a person truly has that addiction, Weight Watchers is most likely not gong to be enough assistance for that person. People need to lean to stop misplacing the blame and take responsibility for their actions.

Agree. I don't have a food addiction but still gained weight. The difference is someone like my sister, who I think clearly has an addiction, and someone like me who made bad choices over the course of 10 years and gained about 10 pounds a year.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I find this an interesting topic, as the Super Bowl is second, only to Thanksgiving, for some Americans, to overindulge in eating.

I blame myself (not food companies) for my becoming obese by overeating. I am responsible, with help from MFP, and many people here, for being able to become a "normal" sized person through educating myself about diet, nutrition and exercise, and doing something to change and become healthier.

The only thing food companies are responsible for, is making foods that taste so wonderful, that it is sometimes hard to resist, even when you know better.

Personal responsibility. Me, myself and I, were responsible for becoming obese, and for finally overcoming my bad overeating habits.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    memelendy wrote: »
    I was a bit offended. As someone who has known people with addictions to deadly substances and people who have died from overdosing, it bothers me that they would equate overeating junk food to a deadly drug addiction. When you equate overeating to an addiction, you're giving yourself yet another excuse. "I couldn't help myself, I'm addicted!" comes to mind. Lack of self control is different.

I also think that demonizing any kind of food is like a fire starter for an eating disorder, and that's exactly what they did.

As a sufferer of disordered eating, I found the commercial to be triggering.

Anyone addicted to anything - drugs, tobacco, alcohol, etc. - is still personally responsible for their actions. They choose to smoke, snort, shoot up, drink, etc. How hard it is to NOT do these things varies, but it does not take away the fact that the only way to stop is through personal will power or physical restraint.

Addiction, compulsion, obsession, craving .. call it what you want. We are all responsible for our actions. Even if those actions harm us.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »

Basically, I thought it was saying, "It's not the food's fault. It's your fault for not being able to say no. Get it together."

Yes, I agree. The end was TAKE CONTROL.

I stood up and applauded after the commercial. But then, I usually love WW commercials. The "If you're sad and you know it, have a snack" commercials crack me up every time.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I'm hard-wired to dislike commercials.

WW spent a lot of money for that commercial and they expect a return. It's fine if there's a positive message, but they're not out for your best interest--they expect a return on their investment.