How the heck do I know if I'm doing this right?

Options

I started 150lbs, set the goal for 135lbs, but if I can do it I'd love to get down to 125lbs.

I changed my lifestyle last month. Cut out junk food and late night snacks. Started cooking healthy meals and filling up on fruits/veggies. I set MFP goals to 1lb/week and was honest that although I don't exercise, I have an on the go job so I am lightly active. I've been averaging a 1300calorie intake/day which is where I should be according to MFP calculator.

I posted yesterday that I was shocked and happy that I managed to lose 10lbs last month. I thought I was on a good role. 10lbs/month IS NOT MY GOAL, I will be happy with a 3lb/month loss.

I've learned it was most likely water weight and now things will get tougher. Yet I also have all these warnings that I'm being too aggressive, that I'm going to start losing muscle rather than fat if I keep it up.

That is not what I want, so how in the world is someone supposed to be excited and motivated to be losing the weight, when the whole time they may be doing it wrong? How am I supposed to know whether its fat or muscle I'm losing?
From what I have researched if you are using the muscles its less likely you are losing it. I work with students who are in wheelchairs, I push the chairs all day, I'm lifting them (30-50lbs) a few times/day and supporting them while they try to walk. I'm on my feet walking hallways constantly, so my muscle gets use, just not from a gym or traditional exercise. I just don't know if that's enough to keep them during my fat loss attempts.

I was so excited and motivated by my January numbers, yet now I am ready to throw in the towel and switch to maintenance rather than loss as I'm terrified I'm screwing up my body.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    The last 10 pounds are the slowest of all. Patience is required. You need to set your weight loss to .5 pound a week. Exercise is for health so it not needed for weight loss. But lifting weights will help keep your muscle mass. read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yeah, don't freak out. I lost the first 10lbs really quickly, too. It slowed down to a steady 0.8-1lb/week after that.

If you're still losing much faster than you'd like to be after another few weeks, just increase your calories by 100 or so at a time until you get to the rate of loss that you'd like to see. Online calculators are just estimates; it's possible you're more active than you think you are.

And from what you describe, it's highly unlikely you're dropping muscle mass. It's probably a combination of water weight and fat loss.