when u have lil kids its hard ...

Options
2»

Replies

• Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, i'm guessing a few of you don't have a little terror like I do! lol It's exhausting.... which can make you reach for sugary snacks to get a bit of energy to keep up with them!! And they usually have the nice snacks that we try not to eat! It's not an excuse, its just what happens. You need to have willpower and be on track to resist nice things in front of your face everyday!

Regardless, raising children is one of the most challenging things a person can do! I would work 3 jobs and it would be easier than raising my 3 kids!! So I understand how difficult it can be at times! I have 3 very fussy children in regards to eating, so unfortunately I am unable to feed them the same food that I generally eat!

Anyway, I feel your pain at times hun!!

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Wow, guys. Maybe I misread the OP's post. Maybe she actually said "I can't lose weight, I can't eat healthy, I can only eat a ton of junk because of my kids! wah!"

But that's not what I read. I just read her say, hey, this is something that is challenging to me. Just because she admitted that it's something that's hard for her doesn't mean she's whining or making excuses or she's not as tough as you are because you just buck up and do it. Jeez.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    When my kids were little, I had celiac disease and they didn't. It sort of nullified the idea of picking on their food.

OP, you don't have to pick at something because it's tempting. I realize that you might be hungry because you're feeding them and waiting to eat later yourself. The way around that is to have things like cut up veggies, hard boiled eggs, and fruit available for you to snack on.

If you find you can't stop yourself from snacking, either allow for it in your calories, or immediately dump a lot of pepper on the food to make it inedible before you put the scraps in the garbage.

Dieting requires discipline and focus, and finding ways around challenges.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Cazzy34 wrote: »
    Hmmm, i'm guessing a few of you don't have a little terror like I do! lol It's exhausting.... which can make you reach for sugary snacks to get a bit of energy to keep up with them!! And they usually have the nice snacks that we try not to eat! It's not an excuse, its just what happens. You need to have willpower and be on track to resist nice things in front of your face everyday!

Regardless, raising children is one of the most challenging things a person can do! I would work 3 jobs and it would be easier than raising my 3 kids!! So I understand how difficult it can be at times! I have 3 very fussy children in regards to eating, so unfortunately I am unable to feed them the same food that I generally eat!

Anyway, I feel your pain at times hun!!

I find this really demeaning to folks that dont have kids. No one is saying that raising kids isn't challenging - we all know that it is. But its really condescending, in the -mother-as-perfect-religious-icon-genre- of you to say it would be easier to work 3 jobs? You've clearly never worked 3 jobs. Or worked one job, with hours as long as working 3 jobs, with an autoimmune disease that causes extreme fatigue, and pain, and dementia.

Raising children is not the most difficult thing a human being can do. There are MANY most difficult things a person can do - we all have our own.

We all have challenges - which is the point most posters here have made. Singling out being a mother as oh so much harder than what anyone else does is a cop out, and rude to everyone else who is working through their own challenges

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tleyva79 wrote: »
    sometimes my kids are eating things that l'm not supposed to eat but I just want lil piece lol . I think its just a lil hard when u have lil kids and they eat what ever they want :s

It doesn't stop when your kids are older. Then you might have a teenager, a spouse, a coworker who is eating things you want to eat.
    Fit some of these foods into your day. You can eat smaller portions.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree with this. I have four kids who are all very slim. They need more fat than I do and they are far more active than I could ever possibly be. They still drink whole fat milk because they are quite low on the BMI scale. Their taste buds are also different. They think the periodic hamburger helper is delicious. It makes me want to vomit, but it's economical and easy to fix so sometimes DH makes it. He also sometimes makes them tatertots, store bought pizza, etc. I don't want tater tots, yuck. I only want thin crust "grown up" pizza.

With that said, if they are having oven baked fries or whatever and I want some, I eat some. But usually, if it's a night when we're eating different things, their food is just not worth the calories to me. Though they usually eat a protein, a vegetable and a whole grain, they are not always enthused about my salmon, quinoa and spinach.
    andylllI wrote: »
    I have two kids under 4. We all eat for our goals. Young kids need more fat to support brain development. My oldest (3.5 yrs) is underweight for height so he definitely eats differently. That said, we all eat the same things, just in different proportions with the exception of full fat dairy (and for the 3.5 yr old, overfat dairy).

Maybe we are being a bit unfair to the OP. She didn't say her kids eat ice cream and cookies or junk food all day long. Just that they don't have to watch what they eat. Little kids are very good (well better than adults anyway) at balancing their diets naturally and stopping when they are full. Plus they are growing. Maybe the OP has an overly restrictive diet or is low carbing and just wants a bowl of cheerios or a bite of whole milk yogurt. Or an egg yolk.

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    tleyva79 wrote: »
    sometimes my kids are eating things that l'm not supposed to eat but I just want lil piece lol .

So have a little piece, honestly, what exactly are you not supposed to eat, I have been at this for well over a year and 80 pounds, I eat pizza, ice cream, twinkies, fast food and all the other stuff I used to eat when I was fat, I just control myself now. You can still eat the good stuff, it's not going to kill you.

Rigger

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Do the kids buy the groceries????
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    OP I totally get what you mean. I carry ice water and a bag of almonds around with me as my weapon of choice. I follow a low carb lifestyle so I have to eat things like berries and granola in moderation whereas my kids could eat them all day if they wanted to.

I have to be especially vigilant on the weekends, and for me there's nothing like a day filled with toddler tantrums that makes me want to lock myself in the bathroom rocking back and forth with a pint of Ben & Jerrys.