Nutrition after surgery

Options
I have a lot of healing tissue both inside and out, plus my abdominal muscles that were ravaged and left feeling like swiss cheese (yay laparoscopic surgery!). I know I need to eat plenty of protein to support my muscles, but is there a slight caloric increase needed? Other nutrients that play a roll in tissue and muscle repair I should focus on?

My appetite has been really wonky since surgery, so I want to make sure what little I'm actually wanting/willing to eat is going to benefit me the most in healing.

Raw veggies are still out per my surgeon, and until he says otherwise I am not to drastically up my fiber intake (I suspect I will get the all clear on Thursday when he removes my staples). Other than that I am not restricted in permitted foods.

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Was this a gastric band/sleeve procedure?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Nope, partial colon resection due to diverticular disease. I had 5 days of very restricted intake between prep and post-op, so my appetite took a major hit. And no sweets even sound good now. I walked away from ice cream and gelato not feeling impressed. :open_mouth: