Issues with portion control

Options
does anyone else feel they eat the right stuff but still feel they eat to much of the good thing?

Replies

• Rehan_79
    Rehan_79 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yup! I started using a food scale and it was the best thing I ever did.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No, I portion pretty much everything out...I pretty much measure or weigh out everything. Pre-logging can also really help with this....I don't keep a diary anymore, but I used to pre-log everything in the beginning...this basically made me portion everything out and make it fit my day.

Portion control is something that is learned and practiced.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    does anyone else feel they eat the right stuff but still feel they eat to much of the good thing?
    YES ! I can eat half kilo pasta with tomato sause and still feel the need of more
  • Fitmom120811
    Fitmom120811 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I use these awesome containers to portion my stuff and target has these super fun and colorful zip locks that makes it fun to. I even portion out my shressed cheese the chopped ham, the ceral everything! It saves so much more money and I feel like maybe mentally I feel I need more but If i just have that one portion I more than likely wont go back to grab another bag beucase my mind knows I having multiple portions and I dont like that feeling.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Good God, yes. That's why I am fat. I have an extremely "Healthy" diet by any sane standard -- cook from scratch, lots of fresh veggies, all that smack. And I've eaten that way my whole life.

I haven't changed WHAT I eat in the slightest. Just changed how many calories of it.

FWIW, if you don't have a food scale, get one. You simply will not believe how helpful it is for measuring how much you eat.
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Yup! I started using a food scale and it was the best thing I ever did.

I have thought about getting a food scale, but I have always felt that would be a waste of time and money, especially since I use measuring cups and spoons for everything. How has it helped you? And what type of scale would you suggest?

And yes, I have an issue with portion control. I could be eating a salad, but I will still find a way to eat too much. :neutral_face:
  • Fitmom120811
    Options
    I don't actually use a scale I use proportioned colored coded cups. Have you heard of those?
  • claudiamg84
    claudiamg84 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Fitmom, you mean 21 day fix? Is that what you're doing? I've been hearing so much about this lately. Food scales are cheap & I love using mine for meat bc that's harder to measure when the serving is determined by oz.
  • Fitmom120811
    Options
    yes it is actually. I am in love with it its the way I live now.
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I feel that a food scale is the most accurate way of keeping things in check. If you stick with the serving size on the package, then it's usually a decent size. I will add or subtract parts of a portion if I determine I need or can't afford more in my daily intake.
  • Fitmom120811
    Options
    How accurate do you think the portion size on a product is compared to what your actually supposed to be eating for weight loss or maintaining? My opinion is not at all!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    How accurate do you think the portion size on a product is compared to what your actually supposed to be eating for weight loss or maintaining? My opinion is not at all!

If I ate the portion size on the label and that's it, I'd just lose weight (which is not my current objective). A label can't tell you how much YOU should be eating.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I agree. Purchasing a food scale was key. Best thing I did for my portion control. Spent $25 at Target---get a digital one.
  • enragedpirate
    enragedpirate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    TBell688 wrote: »

I have thought about getting a food scale, but I have always felt that would be a waste of time and money, especially since I use measuring cups and spoons for everything. How has it helped you? And what type of scale would you suggest?

And yes, I have an issue with portion control. I could be eating a salad, but I will still find a way to eat too much. :neutral_face:

Getting a good scale can be a huge help in measuring out portions. The problem with measuring food by volume (I.e. With cups and spoons) is that they are only consistent with liquids. I could measure out two cups of oatmeal and get two totally different amounts just based on how the grains were arranged in each.

The main thing I've found since starting using a scale is that the portions are often smaller than I had thought they were when I measured volumetrically (a disappointing but important realization).

You can just look up "food scale" on Amazon and get an affordable one with good reviews. It's helpful if it's digital and has both g/kg and oz/lbs settings.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Good God, yes. That's why I am fat. I have an extremely "Healthy" diet by any sane standard -- cook from scratch, lots of fresh veggies, all that smack. And I've eaten that way my whole life.

I haven't changed WHAT I eat in the slightest. Just changed how many calories of it.

FWIW, if you don't have a food scale, get one. You simply will not believe how helpful it is for measuring how much you eat.

But isn't that to hard ? To do it everyday ?
  • emartins1975
    emartins1975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't actually use a scale I use proportioned colored coded cups. Have you heard of those?

I could see myself trying to squeeze as much food as I can in those containers...lol. A coworker uses them and they have really helped her control her portion sizes :)