Simple little hack for more protein and less carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash to replace pasta and rice in many dishes.

The vegans would count beans and lentils as added protein, as they are major sources of proteins and it is less carbs not low carb as someone else pointed out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

The vegans would count beans and lentils as added protein, as they are major sources of proteins and it is less carbs not low carb as someone else pointed out.

I feel like "major source" is a stretch. 1 cup of black beans is only like 15 grams of protein.

I mean- yes- it is A source of protein- but it's certainly not a good source- or a hearty source of protein. It's a small source of protein.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    So to get more protein and less carbs you put more protein in the recipe and less carbs. What a great hack.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    gwensoul wrote: »
    I have gotten hooked on shredded cauliflower for stews and saucy dishes. I do it for calorie reasons but it works for low carb as well.

I've started using cauliflower as a replacement for potato (still getting used to that, cuz it ain't the same!) but it never occurred to me to shred it and use it any other way. You are a genius!!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I tend to go a little crazy on the rice myself...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I hate how every way of doing something is now referred to as a "hack."

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif?1363040789
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I feel like "major source" is a stretch. 1 cup of black beans is only like 15 grams of protein.

I mean- yes- it is A source of protein- but it's certainly not a good source- or a hearty source of protein. It's a small source of protein.

Whether it was a major or minor source of protein would depend on what percentage of your total protein was obtained from beans. But I think they were saying beans were a major source of protein for vegans.
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    gwensoul wrote: »
    I have gotten hooked on shredded cauliflower for stews and saucy dishes. I do it for calorie reasons but it works for low carb as well.

I've started using cauliflower as a replacement for potato (still getting used to that, cuz it ain't the same!) but it never occurred to me to shred it and use it any other way. You are a genius!!

Use a food processor if you have one with the grater attachment. It comes out about rice size. The cook just a few minutes with some salt and seasoning and you are good to go.
  • theflyingpelican
    theflyingpelican Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The world could spin off it's axis if you didn't have rice with curry[/quote]
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    So to get more protein and less carbs you put more protein in the recipe and less carbs. What a great hack.

Wow, guys, was it really worth the effort it took to type those sarcastic comments on a post that was simply trying to share something I found to be helpful? Be sure to log it! "Sarcasm-moderate effort. 50 calories"