Since I know I can run a 10K,

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
should I attempt a half marathon now? I ran my first 10K this past Saturday (1:02:07). I was thinking of doing a half in October. Any thoughts? What specifically would I need to do to get from 6 miles to 13 miles in that amount of time? Thanks!

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes.

Specifically, and I don't mean to be flippant, you primarily need to run longer. I would say whatever program you used to get to 10K you would proportionally use to get to the longer distance. Just pay attention to any signs of overuse injury. Like I said, I don't know exactly what you training program you currently follow, but I would recommend a balance routine, one that includes 1 long, easy run per week, 2 medium runs at varying tempos and at 1 interval-type workout. You don't need a lot of speed to do a 1/2, but I find that interval workouts do help with conditioning, endurance, and mostly improving your form and stride mechanics. The type of intervals you would do for a 1/2 marathon would either be a fairly high volume of 1/4 mile repeats, at a speed slightly faster than 5K pace with 20-30 sec recovery intervals (8-16 repeats, with maybe 60 sec extra recovery between sets of 4), or longer intervals (800-1200 meters) at a little slower than race pace (with a 2:1 work/recovery ratio), and a couple of 10K races.

At your age, you may not have to worry so much, but I would also do some cross training, including activities that emphasize the quads (cycling, stairclimber) and some endurance strength work as well (various squats, lunges and core work).

congrats and good luck.

I
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    should I attempt a half marathon now? I ran my first 10K this past Saturday (1:02:07). I was thinking of doing a half in October. Any thoughts? What specifically would I need to do to get from 6 miles to 13 miles in that amount of time? Thanks!

I ran a quarter marathon in April and I'm planning a half marathon for October, too! It won't be easy, but I think it's totally possible.

Let me know if you want to check in with each other throughout the training since we're both in the same place and pretty much have the same time line :flowerforyou:
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what my goal is this year. I've always been a "runner", but I had only ever ran 2 miles. Then, I broke my leg, and realized I had never done a 1/2 marathon or triathlon. I'm attempting the Baltimore 1/2 in Oct. Then I'm going to attempt the Assateague triathlon next year in June. THEN, I'll think about the whole marathon. I'm running long distances 2-4 times a month. I'm really working on strength training.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Runners World website has a free training log that can help you pick distances and times to take yo u from your current level to where you want to go. I'm using it to go from 5K to 10K.

http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-238-0-0-0,00.html

Good luck.
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    I did a learn to run 10k program last year and my first half-maration about a month ago. You should definitely do it - it's a great sense of accomplishment. It's definitely hard, but I found it more mental than physical. Your body can do it, but can you keep your mind occupied and push through the last 3-4k when you're mind is telling you that you've done enough.

Go for it!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Like it says in my signature: "Mind over miles"