Intimidation in the "weight room"

Options

Replies

• PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You're 22 years old. I'm sure you've been in situations like this before. New jobs, new schools, and new things.

You just have to go, ask questions, and get more comfortable with the environment.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I feel the same.

Today I asked one of the trainers if I could bring along my book (NROLFW) and get some advice on how to use the squat rack and load up barbells safely and to go over form for the exercises in the programme.

I've been wanting to start it for ages and I just needed that little bit of help to get going.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    if you are concerned with not knowing what to do, i suggest watching some videos on form or how to perform various exercises that you want to do before you go to the weight room - so that you feel more confident and that you know what and how to do the exercises. i used to feel intimidated when i wet into the weight room but now i just plan my workout in my head and focus on what i am going to do- put my earphones in and go to work. music really helps.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I understand how your feeling , because i feel that way some of the time. It comes and goes with me.

At the same time i started paying attention and honestly most of the people in the weight room don't seem to know what there doing anyways.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I found a gym that doesnt cater to bodybuilders or powerlifters...planet fitness is great for "us" people that want to lose weight and get in shape, not try to be the next Adonis.

From my experience most gyms do not cater to that certain demographic of clientele. If that were the case most establishments would be out of business IMO because bodybuilders / powerlifters / ect make up a very small percentage of the clientel that go to the gym to workout and get fit. I have been in many gyms (Golds, Worlds, Planet Fitness, Lifetime Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Balley's (sp?), and many others) and the most that I find that is the common denominator in all of them is that they have the average Joe or Jane and not body builders or any type of other specific demographic The only exception to this rule I would think would be a place like a boxing gym or MMA gym but even at that there are plenty of the average individuals that attend these places.

I really like the Planet Fitness model but the colors drive me nuts. Also the lack of free weights is a little annoying IMO but for a $10 / month membership it is hard to beat if one is on a tight budget.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i was intimidated too. i found what helped was educating myself on the exercises i was going to do (deadlifts, squats) ahead of time and that way i wouldn't look too much like an idiot. still, though, you can always ask for help. at my gym, it's kind of a "scene" and i haven't felt comfortable asking anyone for help. also, i have a trainer who i train with 2x a week and i ask her some questions sometimes.

just don't quit.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Here you go ladies:
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398

51OPGJZTJuL._SX260_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg

Or find some people here that are lifters, friend them and they can perhaps give you some advice if you don't want to spend the money for the book.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST???? SHOULD I REFRAME MY MIND? what hours of the day should I go.. SHOULD I NOT CARE? i DON'T KNOW!!

It is going to take you to just get out there and do it. The guys on the floor may look intimidating but they would be thrilled to have someone new to help out. Most (not all) guys on the floor will be more then willing to answer a question you have or to show you a thing or two if they are asked because most at one time or another were in the same boat you are in. If not that then maybe go early in the the morning when they first open up... this way it will be lass of a crowd.

On thing I would recommend is picking up some reading material and research up before you go in and mix it up so you have an idea of what to expect. Books such as "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippatoe or online www.stronglifts.com is also a great place to start. These two sources are excellent starting points for the beginner and even the advanced. I have been an athlete most of my life and I enjoy both of the both. Many women also like "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" but I have not read that one so I can not comment on it but many of the ladies here on MFP really seem to dig it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I completely understand how you feel. That sort of intimidation kept me out of the gym for years. I was, for some reason, terrified that people would be watching and judging me. But after I started going, I realized that it was all in my head. Most people at the gym are either focused on their own workout or looking around because they are just as unsure of themselves as you are. Or they are checking people out.

Once you start going, you will feel a lot better about it and the regulars will start recognizing you, and you them.

As far as not knowing what you are doing, stick with basic compound movements such as benching, squatting, deadlifting, etc and learn the proper forms for them. Watch Youtube videos about them, read up on them, record yourself and have a knowledgable person critique your form, etc. After you master those and begin identifying weak areas, start adding in some other lifts amd isolation movements to supplement the compound movements. Again, read amd watch videos for form.

The one thing that I cannot stress enough is to generally ignore any advice at the gym. Most people don't know what they are talking about and are just parroting misinformation they heard elsewhere. Learn for yourself from reputable sources.
  • Lawngirl296
    Lawngirl296 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Put your ear phones on and don't make eye contact with anyone and do your thing!! I'm the only woman in the weight room at my gym generally and I would also suggest afternoons, usually just seniors there then. Good Luck, you can do this!!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I was intimidated when I first went too....

I got the New Rules of Lifting for Women and started their program. I read the whole book, and I looked over the pictures showing proper form and what various exercises were (deadlifts, squats, overhead press, etc...). I actually went through that section about 20 times. haha
    Then I went on here and read people's experiences with different exercises and programs.
    Then I went and did online searches for various exercises to see videos of how people did them.
    Then I went back to the book and read the weight/exercise program section again. :laugh:

Finally I walked in, with a clipboard, and a sheet of paper with the program on it. I went in and started working out. I went early in the morning too, so I wouldn't have to deal with a full gym.
    My very first time doing squats, I didn't think there was room to face the mirror so I had my back to the mirror and was squatting facing the entire weight section. :blushing:
    Once I finished, I was told by one of the guys that it would be easier if I turned around and faced the mirror.... (DUH....) :laugh:

Another time, a guy told me that I leaned forward too much during squats.

And then I think my 7th time in, these 2 guys came up and said that they saw me in every day and asked if I wanted to workout with them. So I joined them, and now I REALLY look forward to working out every morning! They make it fun! And they explain stuff to me, check my form, and challenge me to go a little heavier each time.

Really, just go in and do it.
    The anticipation of what people MIGHT say or think is usually worse than what would ACTUALLY happen. :flowerforyou:

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. The guy who told me that I leaned forward too much on my squats, I actually had him check my form the next time I was in. He was more than happy to oblige. He came over after his bench set, and made sure I wasn't too far forward, watched me for one set of squats till I got it right consistantly, and I thanked him. Done. :smile:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I found a gym that doesnt cater to bodybuilders or powerlifters...planet fitness is great for "us" people that want to lose weight and get in shape, not try to be the next Adonis.

:huh:
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My gym is pretty intimidating and the time I can go is normally filled by guys who spend more time taking photos of themselves than actually lifting.

I'm obese, scruffy looking (I refuse to dress up for the gym) and I don't give a toss. I have every right to be there lifting - sure, I'm on 4KG free weights and Jack the Lad is on 20KG, but I also know I'm doing it right and I'm doing it consistently rather than playing with my phone.

They glare at me sometimes - I doubt it's admiration, but I sure as hell will not concede to it. Just because they can lift more/look fitter, doesn't mean my place is less significant. It's pretty good for me as I'm not smokin' so I'm pretty invisible to them at times - I feel sorry for the pretty girls who get perved at constantly by a "select few".

Remember you have EVERY right to be there. You've paid your fees, you've got the motivation, you've got the skills. You want to change. A lot of the guys (and a few girls) go to my gym and basically pay a fee for trying to pull or chat with their mates. You own that weight room, and you will feel amazing.

xxx
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST???? SHOULD I REFRAME MY MIND?
    Approach. Not avoid.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

:huh:

This is why we can't have nice things. PF is a joke, hey look, pizza day.

:frown:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between looking at people and checking out whether they are just about done with the equipment they are using....
    Just go in with a plan and do your thing.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I hired a trainer to get me set up on the free weights to help make sure my form was correct. I had used the machines prior to that, but didn't want to continue to use them. Now I think its cute when the guys stare at me when I deadlift and squat... but it could also be the yoga pants.

Walk in there like you own it. I think most of the guys stare because there's an actual woman in the weight room. It's like being a nerd in high school and FINALLY getting invited to a boy/girl party... overwhelming sense of excitement. I'm sure there's a few misogynistic ****s that feel you're out of place, but I'd bet they're the vast minority.

:flowerforyou:
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I understand how your feeling , because i feel that way some of the time. It comes and goes with me.

At the same time i started paying attention and honestly most of the people in the weight room don't seem to know what there doing anyways.

This^^^

Big or not, a lot of those guys have horrible form and a terrible program. Nobody starts with impeccable for, NOBODY! You simply don't begin with the proper muscular base to have good form. If you're a girl wearing anything remotely sexy, were gonna look at you. Such is life.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    1.) Walk in like you own the place. (you do because you pay your membership dues)
    2.) Know that you are going to make a mistake before you even start but that's part of figuring it out.
    3.) Worry about yourself >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A6Bu96ALOw
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Look up form videos, go in with a clear plan, make sure you can see yourself in a mirror to check form. If you act like you own it no one will wonder if you do.

Half the guys in my smaller gym have no idea how to use half the **** anyway . . . so you're fine.