I stopped counting calories :)

Options
I reached my goal 6 months ago and I still continued counting. However, became less frequent until it stopped altogether.I still weigh myself and make sure I wear my tight jeans regularly so I know I am not gaining it back.

I still exercise regularly and try to control my position sizes. I never had an issue marinating my weight in the past as long as I stayed active. I gained weight when I became sedentary and eating out of boredom then I found out about this site. Now I made exercise is part of my life style.

Has anyone stopped counting and still gain the weight back despite being active?

Replies

• TrinNZ
    TrinNZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey! I just wanted to say congrats on reaching your goal AND being able to stop counting calories. I think what you are doing is great....so long as you keep up with the exercise and eat clean, low fat, nutritious food there shouldn't be any need to count the calories. You probably are well into the routine of knowing how much to feed your body so I would say, no problem with what you are doing. Keep it up! :smiley:
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it back then - but failing to 'think' about my food choices and lack of activity were my 'downfall' also. Perhaps sped up by my choice of birth control following my 2nd pregnancy. (I know now that option is linked to being difficult to lose post-baby weight, and I wasn't make any efforts anyhow.) Anyhow - realizing that was key to my weight loss success.

Now 4 months into maintenance and I'm still counting, but I do estimate more. Right now - I'm being cautious to eat enough. I've gone down to the low end of my comfort zone, and dipped below it here & there. Never thought I'd have that problem!
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm good as estimating the amount of calories I've consumed, after eat meal, I then go to log, and always never far off, so technically, I think I can stop with the logging, but if I was to stop thinking what I ate, and just started eating mindlessl;y, well unfortunately I don't think that will work for me, even that I a light-high active person these days. but good for you.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've been at and under my goal weight for the past 3 years and decided to stop counting altogether as of yesterday. I was doing the quick add calories on here for the past 2 weeks , but finally decided that it even that is no longer necessary. If I haven't gained any weight back in 3 years I doubt that I will just because I no longer log everything I eat....
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I stopped counting for a while after I met my goal around 2 years ago. Then slowly my friends list started dwindling. I think people delete inactive friends. That made me sad for a few of them. :(

My weight mostly stayed pretty stable after losing a bunch of additional pounds after I stopped counting. It went up slightly a few weeks ago, so I started counting again and it quickly went down again after counting for a few days. Now I think I might count for a while just to try and estimate what my actual TDEE is. I never really did that since I stopped logging at goal weight.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging just before Christmas. It was about the worst time to make that decision, but I had maintained the same weight for over a year and just thought "stuff it!!" I have just sorted out the damage from Christmas, but I was sabotaged by work trips and a weekend away. It's still early days, but it's an interesting challenge!!