Whato look for in a protien shake?

I have read many posts about protien shakes. I have seen statements like be careful, some of them are crap. So how do you find a good one? I am looking to lose weight and tone up and am using a GNC brand whey protien shake "Pro Performance 100% whey protien vanilla" . What are some thoughts on this one, and please state what is the main thing you should look for to find a good one. Thanks!

Replies

• 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    whey protein isolate is supposed to break down the fastest those with just whey concentrate are much cheaper.
    also if you dont take BCAAs then make sure has in it also... I use optimum nutrition gold standard whey personally.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Taste. If it doesn't taste good then you most likely won't drink it. I like iso flex...
  • stvprod
    stvprod Posts: 4 Member
    Bump
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    1 - make sure it's suited to your calorie/macro goals. Some powders aren't just protein. That's not necessarily good or bad, just make sure you're getting what you want.
    2 - taste... hey, it matters.
    3 - disolve-ability... nothing like a chunky protein shake
    4 - availability... doesn't matter how good something is if it's impossible to get.
  • cougar2007
    cougar2007 Posts: 25
    I agree with jacksonpt. But, something that has not been mentioned yet is affordability. In my experience, GNC/any other brick and mortar store are EXPENSIVE.

I like to my protein powders to be at least 23grams of protein a scoop, taste well when mixed even in water, low in sugar (you don't need those extra calories), mix well, taste great, low in fat and carbs. I am trying to lose weight too, so I don't need that extra crap to be high.

I am currently taking Muscle Tech Phase 8. It's on sale right now at bodybuilding.com and meets all of my needs for a protein shake. I have been drinking it twice a day now and have finally been able to hit my macros without gagging down a nasty protein drink.
  • latinpr
    latinpr Posts: 33 Member
    whey protein isolate is supposed to break down the fastest those with just whey concentrate are much cheaper.
    also if you dont take BCAAs then make sure has in it also... I use optimum nutrition gold standard whey personally.

This. I've tried so many brands from Muscle Milk, Gold Standard, N-Large, ISO-Pure. Muscle Milk tastes the best but that's because it has the highest fat content. N-Large was ok but only in Strawberry, ISO-Pure is 0 carbs and tastes good (it's like kool-aid consistency and not thick like a milkshake) but is really expensive.

After weighing in the pros/cons regards to taste, price per serving, and protein/carb/fat needs, I chose Gold Standard. I like the Banana and is the only one I can drink with fat free milk without gagging.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    I tried this one:
    http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=XN-1027&activateTab=reviews#tabs

Its hard to find one without sucralose or any other artificial sweetener.