Need help choosing chicken!

Options
After reading and watching multiple things about the meat industry, I avoided eating meat for a while. The problem is, I love chicken!! I don't want to stop eating something I love, but I'm having a really hard time finding a company that produces truly HUMANE chicken. I mainly shop at Kroger, and I can't even find something that is humane. The closest thing is Simple Truth, which is just the same chicken, from the same companies, with different labeling. Does anyone have a brand that they buy from and could help me? Thanks so much!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your best bet might be a local farm/butcher that sells chicken rather than a mass retailer.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Sigh, did you watch something PETA-affiliated or something? I ain't got time to feel sad about this when I need food and protein to sustain my goals and satiety.

Pick your battles.
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Move up here to Vermont, we have a ton of free-range chicken farms run by hippies. I think they kiss each chicken before it dies. No, seriously, even the "humane raised" chickens go to the same slaughterhouse, and get the same treatment at the end. Like she said, "pick your battles"!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    itsgradyy wrote: »
    Does anyone have a brand that they buy from and could help me? Thanks so much!

If it has a "brand", it's not going to be what you're looking for.

You need to find an actual farmer...

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Call to talk to a butcher shop. Look for free range -- is a general term but can be close to what you are looking for. Whole Foods classifies their meat into categories about how environmental friendly it is.
    http://certifiedhumane.org
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What others said about local farms. Also, take what documentary's say with a grain of salt. Most of the time, it's mostly propaganda.

Also, do what is best for your own health and wellness.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will find what you are looking for. Every chicken must die before you eat it. A local farmer kills the chicken basically the same way. There is no " humane" way to do that.
  • itsgradyy
    itsgradyy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know how chickens die haha. I'm disgusted about their treatment and enclosures. I know they must die to be eaten and that all chicken raised for meat are cage-free. It's just pretty disgusting how most are raised/killed.
  • itsgradyy
    itsgradyy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    And thank yall for the advice!!! :)