Total Noob Question

Options
kolive888
kolive888 Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Getting Started
Can anyone tell me how to log meals where you're not exactly sure what's in it or how much?

Replies

• ullc316
    ullc316 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    U can always google what u ate and then estimate!
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    In that case, get as close as possible. For instance, when I head down to the local not-chain Mexican restaurant, I go to qdoba.com's meal builder and get as close as possible there on ingredients to get my calories and macros. Then I add 100 calories. It's better to overestimate calories eaten if you're trying to lose, and underestimate if you're trying to gain.

What was the meal? Give us more specifics and we may have better answers for you. :)
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Do your best to estimate individual components if you just can't find anything close in the MFP database.

Also, as someone has already mentioned, Google can almost always have something close enough.

It doesn't have to be 100% precise in order to give you a fairly good idea of what & how much you're consuming.

Good luck!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    As in when you go to someone's house and they made some home made casserole? I find a similar meal online and try to figure it out.

But for my everyday meals, I always log faithfully - and with as much accuracy as possible. A few calories here, a few calories there, today, tomorrow, this week - can eventually add up to a significant "overage."

• chimebird
    chimebird Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Let's say you ate a reuben sandwich at a local cafe. Obviously their calories won't be listed on MFP when you search for "reuben sandwich." But there will be a ton of reuben sandwiches listed with a huge range of calories. Stay safe by choosing an option from the higher end of the calorie range.