How much can you drink before you over hydrate thirsty all the time.

Options
I have been put on new medication with a side effect of extreme thirst and a dry mouth. I have been drinking fluids constantly.

I know that it is possible to over hydrate but can't seem to find a safe figure. I am drinking 2-3 cups of coffee a day about 4 cups of herbal tea. Plus at least 6 glasses of water sometimes more.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sounds fine to me

but you really should check with your doctor
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I know you'll hate me but tea and coffee will dehydrate you more creating an even drier mouth. Although I'm not too sure about herbal tea.
    You should be drinking a minimum of 8 cups of water a day anyway.
    I aim for a minimum of two litres a day
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I drink upwards of 5-6 litres a day, plus multiple cups of herbal tea. You have to drink a hell of a lot before you have to worry about negative effects.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Tea and coffee will not dehydrate you; that's a myth. The water in the beverage more than makes up for whatever diuretic effect they might have.

That level of fluid sounds okay, but you want to keep an eye on your urine. If it's turned completely clear (no trace of yellow) that might be a sign that you're getting too much.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I suffer from water infections a lot, I was told by my Doc between 2 and 3 litres was fine for flushing purposes as too much coud aggrivate it (it was about 10am and I'd already gotten through 4lt)

Slightly different situation granted.

Not so much the water that is the issue, more your cells getting out of balance. Think the people who have died from it had been doing a lot of sweating and drinking only water over a fairly prolonged period.
  • joannemgregory
    joannemgregory Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys especially for the links. :D
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I suffer from water infections a lot, I was told by my Doc between 2 and 3 litres was fine for flushing purposes as too much coud aggrivate it (it was about 10am and I'd already gotten through 4lt)

Not so much the water that is the issue, more your cells getting out of balance. Think the people who have died from it had been doing a lot of sweating and drinking only water over a fairly prolonged period.

Never even heard of this!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Add some potassium to your diet. Orange juice, oranges, peaches, bananas, potatoes, etc. It will help you hold the water in. In my experience, it really helps alleviate that cotton-mouth feeling. Even a watered-down glass of OJ makes a big difference, or alternating between OJ and water.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Never even heard of this!

Me either. Thanks to bunny and google I learned something today (packing up... my day is now done...). This is apparently actually a thing, but also known as a UTI. :) And I didn't realize that drinking too much water could aggravate a UTI.

http://www.healthandnutritiontips.net/water_infection_symptoms/water_infection_symptoms.html
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    While coffee won't dehydrate you per se, it tends to cause/aggravate dry mouth so I would maybe experiment a little with less coffee or different forms of it - adding more milk to it for example.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It's fine. That's actually not enough liquids for me to maintain hydration - I consistently need at least 16oz, which I've not been meeting. I find that caffeinated tea can help me meet my goals because it's more likely to increase my thirst (not dehydrate me). Although it could also just be the simple act of drinking something first thing in the morning that helps.