Are doctors scales accurate?

Options
2»

Replies

• amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    I worked in a GP office. We do have to have the scales inspected for accuracy by the state on a fairly often basis. The scales have an inspection sticker on them (much like a car inspection sticker). I would say they are pretty accurate. The nurses usually weigh themselves on them as well, so if they start going inaccurate they can usually catch it pretty quickly and get it re-calibrated. For that reason I know a lot of offices have switched to digital. Weight is considered a vital sign, so we need to know if you have actually gained 5 lbs in the last week because it could be a symptom of something we need to know about.

I tell people the biggest reason you weigh more at the docs than at home is because at home you are probably naked, just woke up (haven't eaten in a while) and just went to the bathroom. At the docs you are clothed, hydrated and ate up to three meals already (depending on appointment time)

Agreed. Partner was a scale technician and did said inspections. Look for the date on the sticker, if it's been a while, it may need to be re-calibrated.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    I worked in a GP office. We do have to have the scales inspected for accuracy by the state on a fairly often basis. The scales have an inspection sticker on them (much like a car inspection sticker). I would say they are pretty accurate. The nurses usually weigh themselves on them as well, so if they start going inaccurate they can usually catch it pretty quickly and get it re-calibrated. For that reason I know a lot of offices have switched to digital. Weight is considered a vital sign, so we need to know if you have actually gained 5 lbs in the last week because it could be a symptom of something we need to know about.

I tell people the biggest reason you weigh more at the docs than at home is because at home you are probably naked, just woke up (haven't eaten in a while) and just went to the bathroom. At the docs you are clothed, hydrated and ate up to three meals already (depending on appointment time)

Agreed. Partner was a scale technician and did said inspections. Look for the date on the sticker, if it's been a while, it may need to be re-calibrated.

Now I can't wait to go to the doctor and be weighed again so I can scope out their scale inspection sticker!
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have always thought Dr'.s I am seeing one tomorrow will check the sticker and it is a digital one as well. Actually I think all three Dr's I see have digital these days. All are slightly different. And different from mine at home. I use the Saturday morning check in at Dr office as it is exactly 2 lbs ;less than home one for most accurate.