Ladies- TOTM weight gain?

Options
Hey ladies- not worried about this, but I've known I always gain some weight prior to my period, has nothing to do with how much I eat. I just gained 3 pounds literally overnight. Whoa! Was curious how many other ladies experience this too, and if anyone has figured out a way to minimize this? I know it's just water, but I don't particularly want to hold onto that either.

Replies

• prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I actually asked my doctor about what to do about this. She literally said there is nothing you can do. What I have noticed is that my weight balances out when that time is over. So I usually gain then take off a little bit more that next week.. I guess it is just something we just have to live with. LOL
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    You just have to live with it, drink plenty of water and hope it doesn't last for too long. My weight goes up 10lbs the few days before my period.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    If you know your cycle, you'll start to know when to expect the PMS/TOM weight gain. If it bothers you, don't weigh during the week before/during your period.

I can gain anywhere from 2-8 pounds during that time of my cycle.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am the same, but salt also makes my weight fly up, so when TOM is due i try and avoid excess salt and drink a couple of more cups of water in the days leading up to it. x
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't try to minimize it anymore; as nothing will stop it (for me, at least). I just roll with it, make note that while I losing that this month's "period gain" I was always a lighter (or even the same) weight on the scale than the previous month. It's still a WIN to not weigh MORE than last period.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yup .. anywhere from 2 to 5lbs ... this cycle .. up 3lbs overnight .. dropped over the next 4 days .. then dropped another pound to a new low ... I generally don't drop until the 3rd day of period but normally leave that week an extra pound down then stabilise there, then drop a pound after ovulation

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I can gain up to 12 pounds when I'm on my period. I find taking Midol and drinking plenty of water helps a little.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Cutting back on salt and drinking more water will reduce it, but won't stop it completely. If you're regular enough to do so, start a few days before it's due, and keep it up until it's done.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    thanks Ladies! I'm really not worried about it, i've known my body does this for years and years. It USED to bother me, now I'm ok with it. What i didn't know, was what other people experienced, or if there might be something I was doing to exaccerbate it. I have a feeling my salt intake has a lot to do with it! I never eat chips, etc - just not typically my thing, but for the Super Bowl, I did buy chips, and have fit them into my calories over the week. there's my extra salt!!! I'm not sure how much weight I typcially gain - guess I'm about to find out;)
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Water weight is crazy, but generally meaningless - don't let it get to you :)
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    here's a different viewpoint - since water retention happens to most women at some (regular for the specific woman) part of their TOTM, don't you think our bodies might actually *need* it? They retain the water, they do their stuff, they shed the water... Just wear more forgiving clothing and skip weighing for a few days a month :)
  • Ellaskat
    Options
    thats a great point Wise. It's really not about the number on the scale though - I guess I'm not being clear. I'm not worried, I'm not bothered, it's not about the number. It's really about being uncomfortable. As an example, right now, I can feel how swollen my fingers are. No fun. If there was a way I could address this, I was just looking for ideas, and also to see how common this is.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This definitely happens to me. Anywhere from 3 to 10 lbs each month, but it usually drops back to "normal" by the end of my period depending what meds I'm on. I just accept it is what it is, and don't plan to record my weight until it's done. But yeah, feeling so bloated is not comfortable. Sometimes snacking on mildly diuretic foods like celery and cucumber helps. I also find find a tsp of Braggs ACV in a pint of water can help deflate some of my water retention.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You need a profile picture to be taken seriously here.
  • Ellaskat
    Options
    yeah, not really interested in adding a photo. if you don't take me seriously because of it, that's your choice.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I gain 2-4lbs 7 days before. Which is why I don't weigh at that time of the month..
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I can flyways up to 2.5kg depending on TTOM. Generally about a weeks before TTOM I will have my lowest weight for a while before it starts jumping around due to hormones and the related fluid retention, bloating and change of bowel habits
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Cutting back on salt and drinking more water will reduce it, but won't stop it completely. If you're regular enough to do so, start a few days before it's due, and keep it up until it's done.

So i am not the only one who thinks this
    I add no salt to my food while preparing or cooking for medical reasons.
    So only get the natural salts out of food. My salt intake is low over 1600mg a day is high for me.
    And indeed i dont have the fluctuations.

i cant say or prove that it has to do with it. But like you said and your person number 3 who i have seen posting about this. It can be the salt intake.
    Low salt eating takes out the big fluctuations..... not all sometimes i have some ounces but they are gone the next day.
    This is when i go out for dinner ( more salty foods).
    But normally nope dont have them.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I gain 2-3# mid-cycle. The only way I know to minimize it is to not be female.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I gain 2-3# mid-cycle. The only way I know to minimize it is to not be female.

haha yes indeedy!! We sometimes get the rough end of the stick.
    why can't our periods just disappear when we're done having kids.. :\