Is it ok to combine weight lifting training with other fitness.

Options
I was thinking about starting something like Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 but I also play basketball with friends 1-2 times a week.

Is that still ok, can I play basketball on the "Rest" days from lifting?

Replies

• bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I lift M,W,F and I also run or dance on my days off. Yesterday I ran then did my weights. I don't think it will harm you, as long as you give yourself plenty of time to recover and eat enough to fuel your body. Best of luck.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I think that is an ideal set up, actually.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    why would you not??

I'm a dancer- I train M-T- R- S and Sunday.

Thursday and Sunday are rehersal- or "light" days- but I still have to show up.

I am currently have been running some form of sheiko programming for the last 6 months- working out just fun doing 3 day splits.

It's fine as long as you aren't seriously over doing it on your basketball days. Protect your rest time fiercely though and make sure you're getting enough sleep.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    I think that is an ideal set up, actually.
    agreed.

I lift 3x week and play basketball 2-3x week.
  • ingovals
    ingovals Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ok, but does lifting and limiting caloric intake work properly, don't you need rest and loads of protein?

Do you increase the protein intake from the default 20% and lower carbs instead?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ingovals wrote: »
    Ok, but does lifting and limiting caloric intake work properly, don't you need rest and loads of protein?

Do you increase the protein intake from the default 20% and lower carbs instead?

Are we talking weight loss or other things?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting with just about any other routine is ideal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Of course it is...most athletes also lift weights or otherwise do some kind of resistance training.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Of course. I swim and lift.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

You don't want to lift on back to back days unless you are doing a body part split...in that RE, yes...you need rest...but rest doesn't mean you can't do anything else, it just means you don't lift on back to back days.

I ride a good 80 - 100 miles per week and lift 3x weekly with a full body routine...you'll be fine.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Kinda depends on goals and personal preferences.

You can still get stronger while on a deficit, but you'll need a surplus to see any meaningful gains in mass/size.

Yes, rest is important, but most people don't need a lot of complete rest/off days - they need appropriate amounts of sleep, and maybe a bit of stretching/foam rolling.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I agree, a very good setup. It's different muscles and different sorts of strains on your system. One won't interfere with the other and they will support each other in gains.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yes, that sounds ideal.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    ICF is great but it does take about 1-1.5 hours to complete. I'm not sure if it's something you're aware of.
    I know ICF is labeled a beginner program but if you've never lifted, I'd start with Stronglifts first to really focus on form. ICF is really just a bastardized version of SL anyway. SL gave me a good base for when I moved to ICF.
  • ingovals
    ingovals Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I just mentioned ICF because that is what I've heard mentioned. My main goal is getting healthy, I really need to lose some body fat. But I'm somewhat physically strong considering I've not been into athletics at all. So I liked the idea of working on that in addition to the weight/fat loss. I'm not really concerned about the actual number of Kg I weight, it's my health that matters.