Lawsuit 'Discriminatory' Gluten-Free Menu

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I'm going to sue AB Inbev next time I do something stupid when drunk.

I'm going to get all of my smoking friends and co-workers to sue all the convenience stores and cigarette companies for selling them cigarettes. They're going to die from it, after all. I believe that's grounds for suing.

Yeah! That's about as reasonable as TWs trying to sue ammo manufacturers whenever someone gets hurt by a firearm.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I'm finding it hilarious about the number of people defending the coffee woman about the water being "superheated."

Does anyone realize that coffee NEEDS to be brewed at 80-95C (176-203F) for it to brew properly? Water at 60C would burn skin in 2 seconds. At 70C, less than a second. At 80C, you're talking second degree burns in less than a second.

Don't even get me started on tea, which NEEDS to be brewed at boiling (water doesn't get any hotter outside of a compressed environment) for most herbal teas, otherwise you don't get the full flavour.

Are you all saying that you want your coffee and tea from restaurants to taste bad, or do you want them to brew it and wait 10 minutes before giving it to you, so it can cool down to a point where it won't burn you??

You all need to grow up and get some common sense.

I don't think you've read the court case... or you would know that the coffee was brewed at about double that temperature. ABOVE boiling, I might add. Significantly above boiling. Not only was it brewed at an insane temp, it was mandated in corporate policy to be MAINTAINED at that temperature. So yes, she should have won that case and she DID win that case.
    Are you saying the water was between 356 and 406f?

chivalryrider - green tea is best at 180f. ;) I swear this, I have experimented!

I think it was!

EDIT - nope I'm not right. It was 190F. 140F would cause 3rd degree burns in your mouth and throat and is not fit for human consumption. Either way, definitely not the old woman's fault. It shouldn't be served that.

Water turns into a gas state at 212F at sea level. 406F water is not a possibility in the normal world.

BTW, we all know coffee is hot, like we all know that a steaming bowl of soup is hot. We also know there is implied risk in most if not all actions.

Right now I have a cup of hot coffee sitting next to my laptop, which if I spill it will destroy my computer. Let's not even discuss what it would do to my legs, since I'm just wearing chonies. (My office, my rules.)

Haha sure, but it's not that hot. It's really not their brewing temp that was a problem, but their holding temp was.

Since I like to brew at 190F, and hold for 4 minutes in a range between 185 and 190F, I have my temp gauge right here.

173F. That's hot. I know not to drink it right now. :)

The old lady wouldn't have had a temperature gauge with her though. ;)

.... and? You touch something, the outside of it is hot. So the smartest thing to do is stick it between your legs and squeeze? She's old, she probably has learned more lessons about don't eff with hot stuff than I have.

I do stupid stuff all the time, but I've never done that.

I think you may be forgetting that a high percentage of older folk don't actually have sensitive nerves in their skin any more to be able to sense temperatures, especially in their hands. I have an aunt who could comfortably hold a hot frying pan (pain wise) but it would still burn the crap out of her hands.

So?

Regardless of whether or not they don't have sensitivity in their skin any more one would know that if they ordered a hot coffee it is going to be hot and to NOT put it in your lap. Period.

ETA: Why in the world would your aunt hold a hot frying pan any way?

• dbmata
    Options
    Because genius, or lie.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it hilarious about the number of people defending the coffee woman about the water being "superheated."

Does anyone realize that coffee NEEDS to be brewed at 80-95C (176-203F) for it to brew properly? Water at 60C would burn skin in 2 seconds. At 70C, less than a second. At 80C, you're talking second degree burns in less than a second.

Don't even get me started on tea, which NEEDS to be brewed at boiling (water doesn't get any hotter outside of a compressed environment) for most herbal teas, otherwise you don't get the full flavour.

Are you all saying that you want your coffee and tea from restaurants to taste bad, or do you want them to brew it and wait 10 minutes before giving it to you, so it can cool down to a point where it won't burn you??

I don't think you've read the court case... or you would know that the coffee was brewed at about double that temperature. ABOVE boiling, I might add. Significantly above boiling. Not only was it brewed at an insane temp, it was mandated in corporate policy to be MAINTAINED at that temperature. So yes, she should have won that case and she DID win that case.

chivalryrider - green tea is best at 180f. ;) I swear this, I have experimented!

I think it was!

EDIT - nope I'm not right. It was 190F. 140F would cause 3rd degree burns in your mouth and throat and is not fit for human consumption. Either way, definitely not the old woman's fault. It shouldn't be served that.

Water turns into a gas state at 212F at sea level. 406F water is not a possibility in the normal world.

BTW, we all know coffee is hot, like we all know that a steaming bowl of soup is hot. We also know there is implied risk in most if not all actions.

Right now I have a cup of hot coffee sitting next to my laptop, which if I spill it will destroy my computer. Let's not even discuss what it would do to my legs, since I'm just wearing chonies. (My office, my rules.)

Haha sure, but it's not that hot. It's really not their brewing temp that was a problem, but their holding temp was.

Since I like to brew at 190F, and hold for 4 minutes in a range between 185 and 190F, I have my temp gauge right here.

173F. That's hot. I know not to drink it right now. :)

The old lady wouldn't have had a temperature gauge with her though. ;)

.... and? You touch something, the outside of it is hot. So the smartest thing to do is stick it between your legs and squeeze? She's old, she probably has learned more lessons about don't eff with hot stuff than I have.

I do stupid stuff all the time, but I've never done that.

I think you may be forgetting that a high percentage of older folk don't actually have sensitive nerves in their skin any more to be able to sense temperatures, especially in their hands. I have an aunt who could comfortably hold a hot frying pan (pain wise) but it would still burn the crap out of her hands.

So?

Regardless of whether or not they don't have sensitivity in their skin any more one would know that if they ordered a hot coffee it is going to be hot and to NOT put it in your lap. Period.

Why in the world would ANYONE put freshly brewed coffee in between their legs, while sitting in a vehicle no less!?

The woman was 76. I'm sure she's had coffee before and therefore had the understanding that fresh coffee is hot.

If she suffered from dementia, then well, completely different story, but she didn't suffer from any mental illness.
  • dbmata
    Options
    If she suffered from dementia, then well, completely different story, but she didn't suffer from any mental illness.
    I'm not so sure...
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »

EDIT - nope I'm not right. It was 190F. 140F would cause severeburns in your mouth and throat and is not fit for human consumption. Either way, definitely not the old woman's fault. It shouldn't be served that.

I don't think that's accurate at all. Meats that I temp at 140F don't come close to burning anything on my body. I handle them with bare hands. I brew coffee at 180F, and drink it pretty shortly after. For the coffee to do that to her - requires a combination of contact time (trapped in her lap and held close to her skin by clothing) and VERY hot water. If I remember the lawsuit...I feel like they had only asked McD to take the temp from 190 down to 176 or something like that. I remember hearing the number and thinking "yea, that sounds about right" based on what I brew at home.

And if you've ever made hand pulled mozzarella you'd know ~140F isn't scalding hot

Yup, I stopped that though, all that work for something as soft as a baseball? No way.

This turns out well, but is a PIA

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/burrata

for the experience, I just watch this http://luxirare.com/fresh-mozzarella-video/

and then I buy the good stuff from someone who is better at this than me
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Because genius, or lie.
    Runs deep in that family, obvi.