What's in your daily menu to gain muscle?

Options
Hello,

Since I'm approaching my ideal weight (only 10lbs to go, yay!), I plan to start hitting the gym to gain muscle mass. I've read that you should eat 1-1.5g of protein per pound of your body weight to build muscle, and that's a lot! To me, it's about 200-300g, or 1.4-2.1lbs of grilled chicken breast. Of course it woudn't be my only source of protein, but is the best one I've found. I'd like to avoid protein powders, because they are way too expensive where I live. With the money to buy a 2lbs whey protein, you could buy over 25lbs of chicken breast (about 8lbs of protein).

So, as the title says: What's in your daily menu to gain muscle?

If you can make your food diary public, it'd be a great help!

Replies

• pokemonmaster93
    pokemonmaster93 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey man

Been working on gaining (with mixed results admittedly) for a little while and have found a couple of other options for protein.

I personaly really like beef mince (where I live buthcers are cheaper than stores and have a lower fat % meaning you get more protein per gram) as it can be used in a lot of ways. There's also a whole bunch of cuts of pork that are very good (pork fillet being the best I've found) and steak obviously, although that's on the pricier side. Any turkey/game meat you can get your hands on would be as good as chicken but may be more/less expensive depending on what it isand where you live.

In terms of everyday stuff, porridge/oatmeal with skimmed milk (the more milk the better) and anything else that's dairy with minimal fat will help you hit your goals.

All that being said chicken and milk are still the best way to hit goals without powders from a cheap and easy point of view.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hey man

Been working on gaining (with mixed results admittedly) for a little while and have found a couple of other options for protein.

I personaly really like beef mince (where I live buthcers are cheaper than stores and have a lower fat % meaning you get more protein per gram) as it can be used in a lot of ways. There's also a whole bunch of cuts of pork that are very good (pork fillet being the best I've found) and steak obviously, although that's on the pricier side. Any turkey/game meat you can get your hands on would be as good as chicken but may be more/less expensive depending on what it isand where you live.

In terms of everyday stuff, porridge/oatmeal with skimmed milk (the more milk the better) and anything else that's dairy with minimal fat will help you hit your goals.

All that being said chicken and milk are still the best way to hit goals without powders from a cheap and easy point of view.

Why would you be limiting fat on a bulk?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well- hold up. You said- you plan to start hitting the gym?

Are you not lifting now?

Because if you aren't lifting now- I'd go start hammering starting strength/strong lifts like a fiend. Don't worry about bulking- keep cutting and lifting- and just see how far it takes you.

So. I found the reason why you are getting mixed results....

right here:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    1-1.5g per lb in protein is way more than you need. Especially on a bulk. You'll do just fine with .6-.87g per lb of bodyweight. Knowing that I think it would make you coming up with a menu so much more easy. Some eggs, a regular lunch and dinner should get you there with no issues. Your carbs are going to be where you really have room to play around with a wide variety of choices.

This.

You don't need as much as you're shooting for (it also won't hurt if you like to eat that way).

Have you compared the price of your chicken v whey according to serving size? Mine works out cheaper per serving, I still prefer food though and only use it if I'm short. (Casein is a different story, that's an every night thing for me - because I enjoy it)

My diary's open, feel free to nosy, my calories will probably be lower than your needs though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    ptargino wrote: »
    Hello,

Since I'm approaching my ideal weight (only 10lbs to go, yay!), I plan to start hitting the gym to gain muscle mass. I've read that you should eat 1-1.5g of protein per pound of your body weight to build muscle, and that's a lot! To me, it's about 200-300g, or 1.4-2.1lbs of grilled chicken breast. Of course it woudn't be my only source of protein, but is the best one I've found. I'd like to avoid protein powders, because they are way too expensive where I live. With the money to buy a 2lbs whey protein, you could buy over 25lbs of chicken breast (about 8lbs of protein).

While cost may be a factor, the issue for many that need high protein to build is consumption. Whose going to try to eat that much chicken day in and day out? Protein shakes just make it easier to consume protein since drinking it is much easier than trying to eat it all.
    IMO, any protein powder that's decent should be fine if supplemental protein is what you need. Go to Costco. Or even online. Prices are reasonable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ptargino
    ptargino Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Are you not lifting now?

Because if you aren't lifting now- I'd go start hammering starting strength/strong lifts like a fiend. Don't worry about bulking- keep cutting and lifting- and just see how far it takes you.

Since I'm losing weight, I'm doing only cardio. I'll only start lifting in about a month, when I hit my goal. I'd like to change my diet together with my new objective to improve it. At first I'll aim to balance my caloric burn/intake and then, when my fat levels diminish a little bit more, I'll start to eat at a gain, focusing on protein intake.

• ptargino
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hello,

While cost may be a factor, the issue for many that need high protein to build is consumption. Whose going to try to eat that much chicken day in and day out? Protein shakes just make it easier to consume protein since drinking it is much easier than trying to eat it all.
    IMO, any protein powder that's decent should be fine if supplemental protein is what you need. Go to Costco. Or even online. Prices are reasonable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I live in Brazil, not the US. In here, a 2lbs whey protein of good quality is about 50 dollars, whereas chicken breast is about 2 dollars per pound. Even if the powder contains 80% protein (1.6lbs), It's way less than the protein from 25lbs of chicken breast (8lbs of protein), which costs roughly the same. Five times less, in fact.
  • ptargino
    edited February 2015
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    1-1.5g per lb in protein is way more than you need. Especially on a bulk. You'll do just fine with .6-.87g per lb of bodyweight. Knowing that I think it would make you coming up with a menu so much more easy. Some eggs, a regular lunch and dinner should get you there with no issues. Your carbs are going to be where you really have room to play around with a wide variety of choices.

This.

You don't need as much as you're shooting for (it also won't hurt if you like to eat that way).

Have you compared the price of your chicken v whey according to serving size? Mine works out cheaper per serving, I still prefer food though and only use it if I'm short. (Casein is a different story, that's an every night thing for me - because I enjoy it)

My diary's open, feel free to nosy, my calories will probably be lower than your needs though.

Here in Brazil, the protein I get from chicken breast is 5x cheaper than I get from a good quality whey powder, unfortunately. In here, a 2lbs whey protein of good quality is about 50 dollars, whereas chicken breast is about 2 dollars per pound. Even if the powder contains 80% protein (1.6lbs), It's way less than the protein from 25lbs of chicken breast (8lbs of protein), which costs roughly the same.

Thanks, I'll take a look!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Are you not lifting now?

Since I'm losing weight, I'm doing only cardio. I'll only start lifting in about a month, when I hit my goal. I'd like to change my diet together with my new objective to improve it. At first I'll aim to balance my caloric burn/intake and then, when my fat levels diminish a little bit more, I'll start to eat at a gain, focusing on protein intake.

That's crazy - listen to Jo. You should be lifting, like yesterday.

You'll get a good few months strength gain at deficit AND maintain the lean mass you have.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Are you not lifting now?

herm.

no.

Start lifting.
    Now.
    Like- you should have started months ago- but start this week. Don't wait a month.
    You're only hampering your self by waiting a month.

Pick a program.
    Start lifting.
    You'll keep losing.
    Reset your calorie goals after you hit your weight and or you start to stall out- but since you haven't been lifting- you should be able to get at least 6-9 months out of something like strong lifts/starting strength without having to really alter your calorie needs.

No-nono no nono
    You should have been focused on protein in take while you're losing.

Everyone gets really bent about protein = muscle gains. But tha'ts wrong.

Protein is significantly more vital during wieght loss to help PRESERVE the muscle mass you have.

Carbs are better for growth of muscles.

Lift now- keep cutting.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also, 2lbs chicken=/= 2lbs protein. 2lbs of chicken has about 204g of protein in it. 2bls of my protein powder has about 625g of protein. It may still be cheaper to buy the chicken, but make sure you're calculating the cost correctly.

And definitely start lifting yesterday. I'm lifting on a deficit.