Travelling to West Coast USA!

Options
Abstraktimus
Abstraktimus Posts: 213 Member
'What You Should Know Before Going to America' :glasses:

Hey guys! All the preparations are in order for my 3 month vacation in September. I'm heading to the San Diego to see my girlfriend and I'm really excited and I'm trying to gain knowledge on what to know etc. I already know about the

So guys, I need your help. What things should an Englishman know about being in the US? Also, what should I see while in the west coast? We already have Disneyland planned and Zion National Park.

Replies

• dianamatienzo
    Options
    That's exciting! If you're coming to the west coast, taking a stop by the Vegas Strip would be a good idea! It's a beautiful, active, and fun city to tour :) The Sand Diego zoo is also nice, but there are zoos everywhere, so I don't know how much of an original idea that would be haha I wish I could be more help!
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for culture shock Englishman ;) ha ha My Scottish man, even after 10 years here, is gobsmacked most days. For sight seeing, it depends on how far you plan to travel. In California some great places I visited were San Francisco, the redwood forest, San Diego Zoo, and Universal Studios. Enjoy your stay and best wishes!
  • Kilokata
    Kilokata Posts: 111
    Options
    Depending on what you like, there's a WHOLE LOT to do on the west coast. I spent my entire life in Oregon, and it's my favorite place in the country. I've traveled all over and never found anywhere with such raw, natural beauty. If you head up north, check out Crater Lake (it's just off I-5, one of the main arteries) and if you want to take a whole day head up to the Cascades. A little town called Sisters is shadowed by four nearly 11,000ft peaks. I've climbed one of them, and it's probably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Oregon's beaches are incredible too - rocky cliffs and seals/sea lions. Fun. Cold ocean, unlike anything.

If you make it to northern California hit the Redwood Forest. Mount Shasta is amazing.

Probably the second greatest National Park in the country is Yosemite, which is in north/central California.
    The Grand Canyon is only 7 hours from Los Angeles, and your jaw will hit the floor and stay there. It's worth a hike down into the canyon if you have gear/like hiking.

Zion is INCREDIBLE if you're headed out there - Bryce Canyon National Park is only TWO HOURS from Zion, and it's even BETTER than Zion in my opinion. Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument is in the area as well, and it's incredible. Hell, if you're in that area, Yellowstone National Park is only 10 hours north. I know it's a long drive, but it's the greatest place I've been on this planet. It's like being in another world.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Yellowstone was AMAZING last time I went!

I would say drive up the 1 and check out Monterey Bay, I lived in LA so I would recommend a few areas in LA but not sure if you'd be spending so much time in LA area. I heard Joshua Tree's nice too.
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You may not want to leave San Diego, it'll be tough, haha. Balboa Park's worth seeing. Downtown and Seaport Village also have their charm. Downtown LA's not as fun in my opinion (which is biased, for sure), but the beach communities in LA and Orange County are pretty much all awesome!

Disneyland's a real fun place to bring a girl! Might as well, since you wont be able to take advantage of all the girls you could get just for having an English accent, haha! They LOVE that out here :bigsmile:

Oh, and this should go without saying, since you'll pass it on your way to Zion, but uhh . . . Vegas :drinker:
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Well I live in San Diego.
    One thing I can promise is that you won't get bored and there is a variety of things to see and do.

Some mentions:

Sunset Cliffs
    Coronado (most beautiful beach)
    Downtown (night life, dining, boat rides, shopping, baseball)
    Balboa Park
    Julian (charming mountain town with the best pies)
    Torrey Pines
    Old Town
    Charger game
    Mission Beach/Pacific Beach
    Wild Animal Park
    Zoo
    Seaworld
    Horseback riding trails (go south for trail to the beach)

Anyway, so much to do! I still have yet to do everything here and I live here. Must also visit OC and LA. Oh and Vegas is only a 5 hr drive.
    Have fun!!! :smile:
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Go North!! San Francisco and Yosemite are amazing!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Eat as much Mexican food as possible while you're in San Diego. Burritos on burritos on burritos, and some carne asada fries are a must!
  • meandmyface
    meandmyface Posts: 328
    Options
    Great thread! I'm heading to vegas and l.a from australia at the end of August for just under three weeks, any travel tips, etc would be much appreciated! :)

Just wondering, I had someone mention to me that americans don't really like Australians :/ Should i put on a fake accent or something haha?
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I'm heading to vegas and l.a from australia at the end of August for just under three weeks, any travel tips, etc would be much appreciated! :)

Just wondering, I had someone mention to me that americans don't really like Australians :/ Should i put on a fake accent or something haha?

No, we don't hate Australians..most Americans love accents..:)
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    We love the English.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    drive at least part of California Coastal Hwy 1. Driving South is more exciting, but scary bc much of the time you are right on the cliff edge.

If you are going to hit National Parks... Sequoia NP, the biggest trees in the world, was a mindblowing experience.
  • ikudbne12
    ikudbne12 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Where did you hear that??? Just remember America is made up of a bit of everything so anything goes here. All colors and sizes around here.. Esp in the cities. And as others have mentioned... We luv us some cool accents!! ;)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Most Americans are jealous of cool accents like Australian. I know I am :-)
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options

That someone was telling you LIES....I think Australians are pretty well universally liked in the USA.

If you are visiting the southwest in August, be prepared for it to be HOT. VERRRRYYYYY HOT. Not so much in San Diego, but Vegas is in the desert.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yosemite is a must!
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! It's a bit far, but if you can swing by Monterey, California or Carmel, it's pretty beautiful there. Especially around dusk with the coastal deer running around on the beach.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    As someone born and raised in Southern Cali... We have a love of freaks and weirdos here, so you can really get away with anything.

That being said, eat lots of Mexican food.
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    ????????
    Cali is a great place to see it all!!!

The coastline from San Diego all the way up north to Carmel & San Francisco!!
    All the theme parks , Hollywood Bowl...
    Yosemite Valley
    Mammoth Lakes
    Santa Barbara
    Venice Beach, Santa Monica, & The Bu...Malibu
    Palm Springs
    Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
    So many places....

Vegas Baby!!
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

America is very diverse. What do you need a fake accent for? Just go there and be yourself. We don't like fake people. :-)