Question for the ladies...

Hey ladies! I need some help. How much does your weight fluctuate during "that time of the month?" I have been doing so great, loss 15 pounds total but just the past month or so I've been 141/142 area and the scale doesn't seem to be moving. I do see the difference in my mid -section and my arms are definitely "bulking" up so I've put most of it off to building muscle and losing fat, but it is a few days before my wonderful monthly friend visits and I shot up to 145lbs! Does this happen to anyone else? If so what do you do to try to control this, if at all possible? Thanks!

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    yes, this happens to all of us women. The key is to just stay away from the scale 3 days before, during, and a day or two afterwards. It will just frustrate you. Just keep plugging away, but don't look at the scale. Once your TOM is gone, usually so goes the additional water weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Typically about 5-6 lbs.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Yep, happens to anyone with a menstrual cycle.

The key for me is to weigh every day, track trend, and otherwise not worry too much about it.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    It's super frustrating when that happens, but the nice thing is, when it's all over you see a 5-6 pound loss! Think on the bright side. It's only water weight and bloating. Not actual fat gain.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Yes all of the time. I typically stay away from the scale during that time because I would likely throw it out of the window if I didn't.
  • jmorin0110
    jmorin0110 Posts: 10 Member
    Thank you ladies! Its just so frustrating when you're on a roll then all of a sudden -bam- 4 more pounds!
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Anywhere from 2-6lbs (depending on my diet leading up to it and the severity of my symptoms on any given month.)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    When I'm very lean I can bloat as high as ten pounds, no joke. My clothes won't fit and my tummy looks crazy. Week later... Skinny Minnie
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    up to about 4lbs for me, but feels a lot more!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Doesn't really at all. I generally lose weight on my period. I'm just starting it rihgt now and I already feel less bloated.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    wkwebby wrote: »
    yes, this happens to all of us women. The key is to just stay away from the scale 3 days before, during, and a day or two afterwards. It will just frustrate you. Just keep plugging away, but don't look at the scale. Once your TOM is gone, usually so goes the additional water weight.
    I guess I'm not a woman? lol.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    3 to 5 lb. I advise staying off the scale when you get that bloaty feeling, you know, when your boobs hurt and feel like they weigh a ton lol.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    edited February 2015
    If it's just about the number on the scale, don't sweat it, it will drop back down. However, if you get very uncomfortable bloating (I sometimes have this problem during my TOM), try boiling some dandelion root and drinking the broth/tea it creates. It's great for flushing a little bit of water weight, and will help if your bloating is very uncomfortable or even painful. Make sure to drink plenty of water as well. That may sound counter productive, but it aids in the flushing of excess water and prevents dehydration from the use of mild diuretics (the dandelion root). They also sell it as a tea, but using fresh roots (you can buy them at the grocer, or even pick the weeds if you have them) is much more cost effective, and the root is actually tasty once double boiled (you can get two brews from each batch). Hope this helps.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    ... wait. Back up. Spartan: Your WHAT??? What do you mean "owner"? Are you not a native English speaker and this is just an error in translation? People don't own people. That's illegal. :o
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I normally don't bloat, as long as I don't have a carb frenzy, when I have my period. My weight loss will stall but generally I don't see increases on the scale.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    jmorin0110 wrote: »
    I do see the difference in my mid -section and my arms are definitely "bulking" up so I've put most of it off to building muscle and losing fat.

Outside of very slight newbie gains, you're probably not bulking up while eating at a calorie deficit. It is extremely rare to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. If you're strength training, you're probably holding onto the muscle you have while losing fat, so it's becoming more visible underneath the fat that's being lost, is all. Or else it could just be swelling or water retention from training, from time of month, whatever. But it's extremely unlikely that you're bulking during a cut.

But yeah, time of month generally 3-5lb gain, which usually goes away after.
  • Codilee87
    segacs wrote: »
    I do see the difference in my mid -section and my arms are definitely "bulking" up so I've put most of it off to building muscle and losing fat.

Outside of very slight newbie gains, you're probably not bulking up while eating at a calorie deficit. It is extremely rare to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. If you're strength training, you're probably holding onto the muscle you have while losing fat, so it's becoming more visible underneath the fat that's being lost, is all. Or else it could just be swelling or water retention from training, from time of month, whatever. But it's extremely unlikely that you're bulking during a cut.

When my husband went to police academy for 6 months he gained a fairly significant amount of muscle and lost a lot of fat. Obviously its a different situation but it is technically possible. He is 6'4 and weighed about 195 when he started, and when he graduated he weighed 215 and had gained several inches on his chest/shoulders (plus a 6pack). He was the only member of his troupe to actually gain weight during training lol
  • Codilee87
    gothchiq wrote: »
    ... wait. Back up. Spartan: Your WHAT??? What do you mean "owner"? Are you not a native English speaker and this is just an error in translation? People don't own people. That's illegal. :o

She (if it is a she) seems to be an odd duck or a lazy troll. Her profile also mentions her "master"
  • jmorin0110
    jmorin0110 Posts: 10 Member
    segacs wrote: »

Maybe toning up is a more appropriate way of putting it. I have been lifting weights and I can now actually see the muscles in my arms where as before... not so much. lol Even when I tried to flex my arm muscles there was nothing there and now I can actually see it. I am not over weight, just have a few pounds to lose around my mid section mostly but I very well could have lost some in my arms as well.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Yep, I go up 0-4 lbs. I don't do anything, it's just a side effect. It goes away.